Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side Shot Entry

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cfgallagher81
2458 Views, 9 Replies

Side Shot Entry

I've been fighting through C3D recently trying to enter survey data through side shot entry. I just tried to use the ss command and got "SS must be called from within another command". What does this mean and how can I get around it so I can use the side shot to enter my data.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: cfgallagher81

Sideshot is a transparent command, which, as it
states, must be called from within another command. If you'll look in the
Lines/Curves > Create Lines menu, you will find a Create Line from Sideshot.
That's the one that you should be using.

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I've
been fighting through C3D recently trying to enter survey data through side
shot entry. I just tried to use the ss command and got "SS must be called from
within another command". What does this mean and how can I get around it so I
can use the side shot to enter my data. Thanks
Message 3 of 10

I did end up finding that option, thank you. Is there a way to do it with points? If possible, I'd like to be able to just put my points in without having to draw the lines, add the points manually to the end of each line, then delete the line. I must be missing something somewhere. Thanks
Message 4 of 10
nmessina

To enter Side Shots in C3D you must go to the Survey tab in the ToolSpace and create a Survey Network. Then you can define your control points, Directions and Setups. Once you have a setup defined you can click on your Setup (i.e. Occ pt and BS pt) and Add Side Shots. If your points are from a local database, then you need to add them as control points.
Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
Message 5 of 10
omc-usnr

Try points pulldown,

Create Points, manual, angle. This looks to me like a side shot off a backsite. If you have elevation & description set to manual, it'll promt you for those entries. If it's a bunch of the same stuff, you can set them to auto, and it'll enter the default values.
Message 6 of 10
Sinc

And hopefully, you are merely trying to enter a few stray shots... I hope you are not trying to use this method for entering ALL your survey data...? If so, there are much better ways...

-- Sinc
http://www.ejsurveying.com
http://www.quuxsoft.com
Sinc
Message 7 of 10

At the moment I only have 20-25 points or so. At some point I need to find an easier way to do this. I used side shot entry for years and it was a breeze. I just haven't been using the software enough to appreciate setting up projects, point groups, and everything of that nature.
Thanks everyone, we'll see how this goes.
Message 8 of 10
Sinc

Yeah, eventually, you'll want to get to the point where you are doing auto-linework etc. But at this point, if you are planning on upgrading to 2010 soon, then there's no point in worrying about it until you upgrade.

2010 includes some features that make auto-linework much easier, so if you know you will be switching soon, you might as well skip the brain damage of trying to get it working in the 2009 (or earlier) product.

-- Sinc
http://www.ejsurveying.com
http://www.quuxsoft.com
Sinc
Message 9 of 10
gdbell
in reply to: nmessina

I've done a survey the old fashion way (hand written field notes) and also need a way to manually enter the data (turned angles and distances) into Civil 3D 2009.  I'm familiar with the Survey Tab and using Survey Networks by importing .fbk's, but I can't figure out how to add observations to a setup. The Point pulldown Create Points-Miscellaneous-Angle is only good for traverses because it automatically moves your occupied point forward to the next setup. Please help.

Thanks,

Gregg

Message 10 of 10
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: gdbell

If you are on Civil 3D 2012 or have the SAP for Civil 3D 2011 you could use the COGO Editor. This is a dialog that lets you enter traverse data and will set out the points for you. There are two options with the tool, one will add a polyline to the traverse and the other will add points. You can do your bearings and distances from known COGO points, or from picks.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report