Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrink surface to get rid of MMS file?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
wdprice3
1002 Views, 6 Replies

Shrink surface to get rid of MMS file?

What are my options for working on a surface to shrink it down so I don't have a MMS file?  This is surveyed topo + new proposed grading, so I can't modify the survey work without comprimising its integrity.

Thanks,

Bill

C3D 2009

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mathewkol
in reply to: wdprice3

Curious, how would you expect to make a surface smaller (reduce the number of points) while not reducing the number of points? (I can't modify the survey work without compromising its integrity)

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 7
wdprice3

That's what/why I'm asking.

Message 4 of 7
mathewkol

I see.  I was trying to read between the lines as if you had some idea of how to do it.  The MMS file gets created when a surface exceeds a certain number of points.  So to get rid of the MMS you'll need to reduce the total number of surface points.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 7
wdprice3

That's what I feared.  Maybe I can reduce the number of points on the proposed grading then paste the surfaces.  Though, every time I've tried to paste a surface I get an error (and not a helpful one - no information other than something to the tune of:  Error, cannot paste surface).

Message 6 of 7
Jeff_M

@wdprice3 wrote:

...  Error, cannot paste surface).

This usually occurs when you try to paste a surface into another and the first is using the second as a target, creating a circular reference. Instead, create a new surface, paste the EG to the new surface, then paste the grading surface to the new surface.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 7
wdprice3
in reply to: Jeff_M

Pasting still doesn't work.  The EG was created independently and the FG surface was built from polylines, so no target issues there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report