AutoCAD Civil 3D General

*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 31 of 47 (275 Views)

Re: Showing breaks in Profiles

10-10-2011 09:22 AM in reply to: troma

I still think the surface hide boundaries are the best option because the linework to make these boundaries typically exists in the drawings and multiple hide boundaries can be added to a surface at once. If one prefers not to edit the original surface a new surface can be made, the surface of interest can be pasted in and boundaries can be added. In this example I would probably have a number of surfaces. One for datum, one for top of pave, one for bottom of pave. Again the linework to make these extra surfaces should already exist in the files to speed the process.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Win 7 64, Xeon ES165@3.2Ghz,
64 GB RAM, Quadro K4000 (x2)
*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 32 of 47 (269 Views)

10-10-2011 09:46 AM in reply to: jmayo

I may have to join up with that practice, John. As I begin to realize my method is married to a specific station range, and the number of profiles could get difficult to keep track of. :smileyhappy:

And it seems I cant convince that the profiles can be sampled by range :smileywink:

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 33 of 47 (261 Views)

10-10-2011 11:09 AM in reply to: ctbertschy
:smileyhappy:
John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Active Contributor
ctbertschy
Message 34 of 47 (245 Views)

10-11-2011 07:09 AM in reply to: mcastelli

Thanks again Matt!!!     'CONVERTLINEWORKTOMASKBLOCK'  turns out to be the easiest and best way to get the results I was looking for.  The issue with other masking was the draworder and wipeout in regards to the profile grid lines and other objects in paper and model space.  This unkown command will only hide the one AEC object I need which is the proposed profile.

Thanks again!!   For anyone trying to follow along,  The short and skinny is that the command 'CONVERTLINEWORKTOMASKBLOCK'  works perfect for masking a proposed profille that answers my initial question. 

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 35 of 47 (240 Views)

10-11-2011 07:40 AM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe—with regard to profiling "From....To": this does not introduce a break in the profile.  To do so you would need to be able to profile from, to and from, to again.  The current options only allow you to control the start and end points, not a break in the middle.

John—using a hide boundary on a surface requires having a surface.  It shouldn't be necessary to have a surface.  What are you suggesting, that we have a design profile, then run a corridor, then add hide boundaries to the corridor surface, then profile that surface and use it for plotting?  It's very convoluted.  Corridors are extremely useful, but we shouldn't have to use them to get a profile to display in a certain way.

The wipeout option unfortunately is the best Autocad C3D can offer.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 36 of 47 (230 Views)

10-11-2011 09:34 AM in reply to: troma

Troma - Please examine the image I attached earlier in this thread. Yes to introduce the break you would have to use to from to from to from etc. But the breaks are there and the object integrity is maintained.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win7 OS
Contributor
mcastelli
Message 37 of 47 (220 Views)

10-11-2011 11:06 AM in reply to: jmayo

troma, I deleted my initial response as I wasn't able to figure out how to edit it.  That's why you can't find it.  Sorry about the confusion.

ctbertschy, glad it worked out for ya!  You'll have to send me a PM though, as I'm not putting a face to screen name, lol

The problem I've found with sampled profiles from a design surface and/or superimposed profiles is that you're left with a profile that does not lend itself to be labeled like your original design profile, since it is made up of lots of little tangents.  Joe and John, I'd be curious to know how you guys deal with the profile labeling in situations like these.

*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 38 of 47 (214 Views)

10-11-2011 01:19 PM in reply to: jmayo

We only need to label surface profiles like they we layed-out profiles if a surveyed centerline from an existing road needs to be profiled for rehab. We always create a best fit profile with tangents and curves from the sampled surface profile. The surface profile is then hidden or does not plot.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 39 of 47 (207 Views)

10-11-2011 02:43 PM in reply to: mcastelli

I would not label a surface profile, only a layout profile, but that what cb wanted, so a offered a solution

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 40 of 47 (201 Views)

10-11-2011 03:00 PM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe-Bouza wrote:

I would not label a surface profile, only a layout profile, but that what cb wanted, so a offered a solution

Interesting, Joe. I kept reading this thread and couldn't figure out why it kept going in the directions it did, because I never once thought the OP was asking about surface profiles. They wanted to show and label the design profiles. However, the OP also said they didn't want any "fancy masking or other trickery" so I never mentioned the ConvertLineworkToMaskBlock(which, btw, in older versions would force the text style for the labels to be different than what the LabelStyle said it should be...not sure if this has been fixed).

It was fun watching all of the responses, but since I got confused about what it was that was wanted and being offered I chose to just be quiet... :smileyhappy:

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs