Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing breaks in Profiles

49 REPLIES 49
SOLVED
Message 1 of 50
ctbertschy
6976 Views, 49 Replies

Showing breaks in Profiles

I believe I have done my due diligence in searching for the best method to tackle a finished ground profile as shown in the attachment.  The attachment was done with LDT.  The only answer with civil3d was to explode a copy of the profile and then break it while displaying labels and the original profile as hidden.

I am interested if there is a better method that does not use wipeouts or funny masking techniques.  Any method that can extract a poly object from the profile would also be nice.  More often than not, we need to trim, break, dis-joint, and custom tweak profiles,  This was super easy with LDT.  There will be a complete finished ground profile for corridors... so any drama with attempting to use the actual data object by chop it with drama is not really required.. .unless someone has an easy way of doing it.  I have yet to run across a fine example of a drafted product that did not use poly linework instead of the direct data.

Am I missing something or is civil3d?

Thanks for any guidance

Tags (1)
49 REPLIES 49
Message 2 of 50
troma
in reply to: ctbertschy

Copy, explode to block, explode to lines, join to polyline is all I know.

I'm not answering the question, I'm joining you in asking.  If anyone knows anything better, please let us know.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 50
dgordon

Have you had any formal training in C3D?

How many finished ground models have you built with C3D?

Why would there have to be only 1 proposed profile in the profile view that has to be split up?   Several right curb profiles could be shown in the same profile view without having to explode anything.

if a accurate surface model of the curb was built, and alignment sampling that surface could be supperimposed onto a centerline profile.

There is nothing that can be done easier in LDD than in C3D.   If you're going to successfully implement C3D then u will have to forget everything u know about LDD.   Ask questions, and learn from the people who read and give suggestions on this forum.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 4 of 50
ctbertschy

Thanks for the reply,

1.) Yes

2.) 5,000,000  give or take a few million (my exageration may not be far off)

3.) Profile needs to look exactly like the picture shown.  Hiding the actual data profiles and choping a pline seems to be the best methode to duplicate what I posted.  Been there done that with explaining why or why not it has to look the way it does.  It just does.  Just need any advice that the attached picture can be best duplicated without exploding a copy of the profile.

I have built enough corridors and surfaces to know that I do not want to add back sampled feature lines / objects to the profile in leu of just exploding a copy of the exact way the profile should look.  I do add back such features for checks but never for drafting final documents... not koshur. 

Been using both products simultaneously since civil3d began.  LDT/softdesk since 97'-98'.   Been on the forums probably just as long... it was more anonymous then... with newsgroups.  Occasionly I back check for better methods... never seen a better one to reproduce my attached situation.  Thought I would document that with this post should someone have one.

cb

Message 5 of 50
Joe-Bouza

Looks more like a cross section to me.

Whats going on the can't be done in c3d? Excuse me I got lost in your discription of exploding, breaking triming and cutom tweaking...What is cutom tweaking? isn't the profile the profile?

.. so any drama with attempting to use the actual data object by chop it with drama is not really required.. .What does that mean?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 50
ctbertschy
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks,

To put it simply.  Best method to reproduce the attached image in civil3d.  Best would be fastest, less hassle.  With LDT I can simply import the profile and labels.  Chop from return to return.  Move a label or two to a better location and be done.  Typically a change is 15 min. 

Also handy with LDT is the fact that when you break the profile linework, it is still a pline.  With civil3d.  It can be a pedit join fest.  If civil3d would drop the profile object as a pline, it would be 100x times helpfull drafting complicated design.

I am not attempting to support LDT or say its faster.  Just asking if anyone has been able to recreate the attached image as easy as it was done in LDT.  For those that design as shown in the attached image, I was wondering what you are doing to recreate that style.  I work with a tough crowd and they know what works.

cb

Message 7 of 50
Joe-Bouza

cb, I think you forgot to answer my questions Smiley Wink

.Breaks in profile..? Guessing here cause you forgot to answer my questions - I still have no idea what you are trying to accomplish. What is you image a profile of?  116 views to 4 (less my 2)replies  maybe I'm not the only one that doesn't understand what you are asking to do?

You know you can break c3d profile without breaking exploding or masking, right? And label each independent of the other. 

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 50
ctbertschy

Joe,

You seem to want to help me.  I understand that a lot of theoretical conjecture can seem like good answers to a difficult problems.  Please attempt to duplicate the attached image with civil3d profiles. 

While doing this, please take note of the inefficiency.  You will then understand what Troma (first reply) knows and I have found.  I can't speak for the rest of the boards understanding of my problem.  To give you a better understanding of inefficiency from my experience,  I can create the attached image in 15 min from having nothing but a master plan and surface to sample existing ground with LDT.  I can beat 15 minutes with civil3d up until the point I have to explode a copy of the profiles and trim the profile for the look I need.  Any rinse and repeat procedure from changes really adds to the annoyance.   

I understand if you don't have the time to take a stab at attempting to duplicate what I posted.   As it is timely, which is why I posted for better methods with Civl3d.  

What I really need is a way to show a station range of a profile as a noplot layer.  A masking range.  That way I keep the data and add linework for drafting of gutters and cross section needs.  Probably something for the wishlist if it isn't as easy as that.

Thanks,

Message 9 of 50
Joe-Bouza

cb, you are correct! I answered your post thinking I may have something to add. However I'm on my 3rd post with you and you can't seem to answer a direct question, forcing me to resort to theoretical conjecture. Or perhaps you have the answer already...

So, if understand correctly, you want to take a profile or many and show sections that are broken up. Like in you image, the yellow (center?) line I presume is a single profile that has to have the discontinuity when it gets to the blue line (top of curb ?)

Presumably the yellow and the blue run from station X to station Y , and these are surface profiles?

You can bring each profile into a view more than once at the desired station range  with varying profile and label styles, so the yellow01 can come in sta a to sta b, blue01 sta b to sta c, yellow02 sta c to d, and so on. Keeping the integrity of the data too.

The depth/ grade label style is pretty handi for custom grade labels...

What is your profile a profile of? That may give me a better understanding

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 50
Joe-Bouza

cb

Also, in you "due diligence" to find a way... you didn't share with us your attempts, what were they?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 11 of 50
ctbertschy

Joe,

They are roadway pofiles.  They are top of curb grades.  The pavement sections are shown where there are intersectiong streets and will not have curb.

I have tried masking, copying profiles, exploding profiles, dref's, xref clipping, and multiple profiles.  Didn't much care for any of the results.

I will try adding back the same profile to an existing profile view multiple times later today and post the results back.

Thanks again,

cb

Message 12 of 50
Joe-Bouza

Good luck. I'll look for your results

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 13 of 50
ctbertschy

Joe,

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

You can bring each profile into a view more than once at the desired station range  with varying profile and label styles,

This is not possible with the software I have.  2008, 2010 and 2012.  This was the first thing I attempted and have tried again to humor myself.  I can copy the profile. (don't want to do)  I can have another Profile View with the pofile. (not going to stack profile views)  And I can have multiple profiles from surfaces (not going to create the model before hand). 

I can not do what you are describing.  I can not adjust the stations that are in a view as you describe.  I can not change the station range of the profile.  I have checked, rechecked, and checked again.   If you can do this.. please post a screen shot or mention how this works.

Please attempt to duplicate the image with ONLY TWO finished ground profiles.  A left top of curb and a right top of curb.  Show any size gap in the middle of both profiles. I don't need the cross-section to be drawn.  Just need to see a gap in the profile.  That would be a win.

Thanks,

cb

Message 14 of 50
jmayo-EE

If I had to break a profile I would use surface hide boundaries not masks. Idealy I would be able to use boundaries that already exist in 2d base maps. I would probably have multiple surfaces for the different datums you need and I would never want to do anything in LDD. 😉

I also agree with Joe. It looks like a xsec.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 15 of 50
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

... Except maybe a grading object. Have to try 2012 to decide. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 50
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thank you good Sir.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 17 of 50
Joe-Bouza

cb, breaking a surface profile is simple. only smaple the ranges you desire.

profiles at various intervals.PNG

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 18 of 50
ctbertschy

Thanks but I found where the proposed profile masking feature was located.

cb

Message 19 of 50
Joe-Bouza

where is that?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 20 of 50
ctbertschy

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

where is that?

So you did understand what I was looking for.  It was on on the right click context menu under the wishful thinking tab.  Then click on the launch pad menu between unsupported and non-existing.   Apparently this feature does not exist for versions 2008-2012.

Not sure why no one would be honest about that and confuse the question.  I guess its solved.  Maybe it will get implemented later on.  It is not a deal breaker for using the software but would make it easier to push a plan out without modeling and sampling the surface back.

Thanks for trying.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report