Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing Profile Elevation Differences Right above Profile 2

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
lyubohrd
5475 Views, 12 Replies

Showing Profile Elevation Differences Right above Profile 2

Hello!

I am a new user of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and I have a problem when creating profiles with it for my company.

The profile requirement in my country is that the differences in elevations of points along Profile 2 (the proposed new road elevation) and Profile 1 (the existing elevation/surface) should be computed and shown right above the Profile 2 line. For example, if at a certain point PT 1 the elevation of the proposed road is 132.44 meters and the elevation of the existing surface is 132.45 meters, the difference is -0.01 meters and it should be shown exactly above the Profile 2 line (or a little bit above it) but not on it. The same should be done for every chosen point along the proposed profile.

So far, I have done this manually, by dragging the difference (already automatically computed and shown in one of the bands below the profiles) to the correct place for every single point. However, I don't know how to do this automatically, and none of my colleagues knows either. Can you give me any ideas how this can be done automatically?

Thank you in advance for your attention and attempts to help me!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: lyubohrd

Some images showing what you get and what you want would be usefulSmiley Happy

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 13
mathewkol

I assume your differences are in a band all by themselves?  In this case, just change the band's gap setting so that it gets placed where you need.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 13
lyubohrd
in reply to: neilyj666

Neil,

Please, see the attached .PNG picture. I just want to mention that I did not properly explain to you the problem (and I do really apologize for that!!). The elevation difference data should be above the Profile 2 line ONLY IF the difference is positive (i.e. the newly proposed road is in a fill section). If the difference is negative (i.e. the newly proposed road is in a cut section), the elevation difference data should be right below the Profile 2 line. This is visually shown in the attached picture. I want to assure you that the picture correctly shows what I do have on my profiles now and what I want to get. If you have any additional questions, please, do not hesitate to ask me. Once again, thank you very much for your help!

Message 5 of 13
lyubohrd
in reply to: mathewkol

Mike,

The problem is not in the band itself. Please, see the .PNG picture (attached to my second post) to see what profile I have right now and what I want to get.

Message 6 of 13
neilyj666

The picture is a big help in explaining what you want to achieve and it makes a bit more sense now. I'm not too familiar with modifying the profiles as the UKIE templates that I use are fine for my purposes.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge in this area can assist.....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 13
el.Topo

Hi, I understand your problem as it's a standard we follow in Greece too.

I don't have a "proper" solution to this, but I figured out a wayaround which I use in the very end of a longitudinal section production. It will sound a bit "anorthodox" but it's better than nothing... or click click clickinggggggg

surface1 is the base surface, upon which you run an alignment and a profile "FG"

create a feature line from this alignment giving to it the elevations of the FG profile when asked

create a stepped offset of this feature line (the distance doesn't matter) and an elevation difference of 0 (same elevations)

create a surface "2" from these 2 featurelines (import them as breaklines)

at this point you may check (create profile from surface into the alignment) that the surface2 has the exactly same elevations with your FG profile by importing it in the profile view you are already viewing

(make these checks please... I wouldn't want to cause you any trouble)

go to analyse - volume dashboard (version2013) and create New Volume Surface

style: none

base: surface 1

comparison: srface2 and OK

surface 3 is created which comes out of this Surface2 (or else words your alignment and profile) minus Surface1

create surface from profile and add Surface 3 to your alilgnment

Profile view properties - elevations tab - automatic (the numbers should be around zero, negative and positive perhaps)

in the new profile displayed in your profile view assign labels to the profile (right click - edit labels) and assign a style showing the elevations along the profile's line

for checking purposes insert a band showing the elevation difference of FG - Surface1 at the same stations 

we're almost there...

if the numbers are identical we have no problem up to this point

now go to your FG and assign a label with a reference text, referencing the surface3 profile elevation

at this point you ll get ??? instead of numbers

isolate the labels, ctrl & cross window from left to right to choose only the labels, and in the properties window assign Surface3 in the Reference Text Object value

the elevation differences will all fall either up or down the profile line (depends on the style settings) you used,

but since you 're in isolation mode you can choose either the positive or the negative numbers and flip them.

do not erase the surface3 at any time or you will lose the data

better yet explode the labels for a more static situation.

hope I helped - good luck

(the file is a 2013 format)

MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 CPU M 620@2.67GHz, 8GB RAM
W7Pro SP1, 64-bit / Civil3D 2016
Message 8 of 13
kostadin.papanov
in reply to: el.Topo

Hello there is much easier way to do this by using profile labels. First thing is to run this report:  At the toolbox, Report manager, profile, Incremental Station Elevation Difference Report.  In excel delete Easting, Northing and Elevation Existing Columns. After that copy in the clipboard station and elevation design columns. Next you select profile view and when asked for station paste the clipboard. The result is on every station it automatically adds labels.

By quick select you select only the labels you created and set them style at properties  and set profile 1 and 2 objects(EG and Design Profile).  And the last to put the positive values above and bellow design profile at toolbox at settings, profile view, station elevation expressions you add new double parameter:   IF({Profile2 Elevation Minus Profile1 Elevation}<0,1.57,-1.57).  At the label style at ration angle you put the new parameter.

I recommend using this before printing because it does't automatically change and if the design profile is changed you need to run the report again. 

Profile Dif.png

Message 9 of 13
Joe-Bouza

Volume surface and projected cogo points would do it
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 13
MMcCall402

Idea:

Make a profile view label with two text components. One will be for Profile1 minus Profile2 and the other for Profile2 minus Profile1. One will be positioned above the label location and one below. Each will be set to not display negative values.  You can place this label anywhere in the profile view and it will display the elevation difference between the two chosen profiles (these selections will be shown in the properties palette)  The downside is that these labels will need to be manually placed and won't move if the profiles change. They will always display the correct information for that station.  To aid in their placement you could make a profile label that places a very small tick at the desired stations and use it to snap to when placing the labels.

image.png

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 11 of 13
Beka_Tchigladze

here is a solution I have found it after several years and I am so Happy

Beka Tchighladze
Road/Highway Technical Designer

AEC Collection/C3D 2022
WIN 11 64 PRO
Predator Triton 300SE, Intel Core i7 11370H, 24 GB
NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6 GB
YouTube--->Linkedin
Message 12 of 13

The advantage is that it's dynamic, but if you want labels in the horizontal and vertical geometry points, array won't help.
Greetings!

Message 13 of 13

frequently there are not too many points of that you can make a copy of style

Beka Tchighladze
Road/Highway Technical Designer

AEC Collection/C3D 2022
WIN 11 64 PRO
Predator Triton 300SE, Intel Core i7 11370H, 24 GB
NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6 GB
YouTube--->Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report