Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcut/routine required to create multiple surface intersections at once

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
G2theP
342 Views, 7 Replies

Shortcut/routine required to create multiple surface intersections at once

Hello, first post here 😃

I am doing bulk earthworks with C3D 2013 and quite often I am modeling large dam walls with multiple raises, core sections, filter layers, etc so I end up with up to 50 surface models in one drawing. The process I follow involves modeling each raise of the wall by targeting an elevation 10 metres or so below NSL. I then use a volume surface to give me the intersecting boundary between the topography surface and the wall raise surface. I repeat this process for each raise/core/filter section - create volume surface to find intersection, extract boundary of intersecting volume surface, add boundary to wall raise surface, put both on a unique layer calculate volume - repeat for next wall raise - ad nauseum.

To speed things up a previous draftsperson created a shortcut button on the ribbon that does the volume surface trick with one click so all i need to do is hit the button, select topo, select wall raise and it gives me the volume surface between the two, all i need to do is extract the border and add it as an outer boundary to the wall raise. I would like to take this to the next level if possible and this is where I need help;

If my drawing consisted of a topography surface and "X" number of wall raise surfaces all named in a uniform fashion ascending numerically or alphabetically would it be possible to write a routine/shortcut button that did the following;

1.) Create a volume surface between topo & wall surface 1 - extract border as polyline - add polyline as outer     boundary to wall surface 1 - move both wall surface 1 and newly created boundary polyline to unique layer.

-

2.) Repeat process for topo and wall surface 2

3.) Repeat process for topo and wall surface 3

.....and so on until all wall surfaces have had volume surfaces created between them and the topo?

I am going to have a try later today but wondered if anyone could have a read of this and tell me if I'm dreaming!

Cheers 😃

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sboon
in reply to: G2theP

If you don't get an answer here then you may want to repost this in the Customization Forum.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 8
ralstogj

I would say it do able in .net there are some examples doing similar things around
Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 4 of 8
BrianHailey

If it's the same picks and clicks over and over, have you looked into recording a macro? Not exactly what you were asking for but it could be a time saver if you don't find an alternate method.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 8
peterfunkautodesk

Have you tried the command "Find Minimum Distance Between Surfaces"? The command was designed to find and display the point on the two surface where they are the closest together. The intended use was to find the elevation difference between the bottom of a bridge surface and the roadway below. However, in testing we found to our delight that if the two surfaces intersected, it could produce a polyline (or series of polylines) where they crossed. If the first few steps of your process is just to find the intersections this could help.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 8
ralstogj

Peter Where do you find the routine I tried typing it but got nothing. Do you have to have bridge modeller installed? As an aside along a similar tangent is there away to trim a featureline to a surface where it pass thru it or find that point quickly. Regards Justin Ralston Senior Engineer - Manager Queenstown AIREY CONSULTANTS LTD P.O.Box 2069, Wakatipu, Queenstown, 9349? Level 2, Von House, Remarkables Park Ph +64 3 442 3101 ? Fax +64 3 442 3102 ? Mob +64 274 566 660 Email justinr@aireys.co.nz ? Web www.aireys.co.nzThe information contained in this email is privileged and confidential and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are asked to respect that confidentiality and not disclose, copy or make use of its contents. AIREY CONSULTANTS LIMITED ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR CHANGES MADE TO THIS EMAIL OR ANY ATTACHMENTS AFTER TRANSMISSION FROM AIREY CONSULTANTS LTD. If received in error you are asked to destroy the email and contact the sender immediately. P Please consider the environment before printing this email.
Regards

Justin Ralston
Message 7 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: ralstogj

Justin, C3D 2012:

MinimumDistBetweenSurfaces

or

on the Ribbon, Analyze tab, Ground Data (expanded)

or

on the Ribbon, Contextual Surface Tab, Analyze (expanded)

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 8
ralstogj
in reply to: ralstogj

Thanks Jeff Regards Justin Ralston Senior Engineer - Manager Queenstown AIREY CONSULTANTS LTD P.O.Box 2069, Wakatipu, Queenstown, 9349? Level 2, Von House, Remarkables Park Ph +64 3 442 3101 ? Fax +64 3 442 3102 ? Mob +64 274 566 660 Email justinr@aireys.co.nz ? Web www.aireys.co.nzThe information contained in this email is privileged and confidential and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are asked to respect that confidentiality and not disclose, copy or make use of its contents. AIREY CONSULTANTS LIMITED ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR CHANGES MADE TO THIS EMAIL OR ANY ATTACHMENTS AFTER TRANSMISSION FROM AIREY CONSULTANTS LTD. If received in error you are asked to destroy the email and contact the sender immediately. P Please consider the environment before printing this email.
Regards

Justin Ralston

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report