Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shift Terrain Model

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
351 Views, 5 Replies

Shift Terrain Model

Hi there,

I have a pretty large model with multiple surfaces and a corridor that I need to shfit to a new location due to a mismatch with a title boundary. Not our fault but it has to be done and it's giving me a lot of grief. The model consist of:

1. Surfaces created from breaklines (feature lines): carpark pavement, carpark islands, loading dock, etc.
  2. Combined design surfaces: some of the surfaces created from breakllines have been pasted into combined surfaces to create a seamless terrain model (eg. capark pavement + carpark islands = combined design carpark).
  3. Corridor: the external road has been modelled with a corridor. Some auto corridor feature lines have been added as breaklines to the aforementioned surfaces. Note that not all auto feature lines are still linked to the corridor.
  4. Boundaries: most surfaces have boundaries from polylines.

So, I am trying to shift the model from A to B and it's only 130mm. No rotation.

I tried several things but all of them failed. Breakline errors, boundaries not added, crash, after crash, after crash...

Attempt 1

Select all entities from the plan (no profiles, no assemblies, etc.) and move it. Didn't work.

Attempt 2

Turn off corridor, sample lines, all lables and move it. No luck.

Attempt 3

Same than attempt 2 but without selecting the auto feature lines that still are linked to the corridor and are used as breaklines in a surface. Crash again.

Running out of ideas.

So, has anybody come across a situation like this? Any different approach? Is the transformation tab of any use for this task?

Any help would be higly appreciated.

Regards

Javier

Civil 3D 2013 SP1

Windows 7 Enterprise

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Citadel2012
in reply to: Anonymous

I played around with moving some similar objects, and this is what I found:

Surfaces with breakline definitions and polylines boundaries - Had no issue selecting feature lines and moving them (MOVE command, base point and second point). Moved the polyline boundaries in a separate command.

Corridor - I made a quick corridor (alignment, assembly, existing surface profile, design profile). I moved only the alignment, the surface profile updated accordingly, but my design profile had to be tweaked. The corridor sample lines and surface updated accordingly. 

I think that trying to move the sample lines or auto feature lines might break things. I think that if you go step by step through the definition of each surface and move the components one by one (or at least grouped by similar type), you should be able to accomplish this. 

in reply to: Citadel2012

Thanks for your reply Citadel2012.

I have shifted all surfaces and it was quite painful. For some reason, when moving the breaklines (feature lines) and boundaries the triangulation gets messed up in certain areas so I had to do a lot of edge swapping to restore its original shape. I would like to know why the surface changes when is shifted a mere 150mm. Note I don'd have any batters or any sort of targets to another surface.

I'll deal with the corridor another day because it's not required for today's construction issue. it's going to be interested...

Regards

Javier

Message 4 of 6
AllenJessup

The most likely reason for the changes is that the areas where you saw changes were right on the cusp of where the algorithm would have tinned it differently. A slight change in coordinates can change things enough that the algorithm flips the other way. Sometimes it can be rounding out beyond the decimal precision you're displaying.

One thing I learned. It's better to move the objects that define the Surface and not the Surface it's self.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
BrianHailey

The transformation tab will not work for this. It is only used to translate (yes, translate not transform) survey data from a ground coordinate system to a grid coordinate system.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Usually when I need to creat surfaces from (counters, polylined,..etc), I deviding the polylines by cogo points , the cogo points will inserted in each virtex in the polylines,then I creating surface by importing these cogo points, this my simple way to prevent the errors .

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report