Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing quick visualizations of C3D?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
randyspear6624
473 Views, 12 Replies

Sharing quick visualizations of C3D?

I'd like to quickly share 3d models with my projects managers on a regular basis.

3DDWF is exactly what I want for this but it just doesn't work (quality is terrible at the highest precision). The next best solution is to to a drive through but you can't record those either. So I'm left with sending them screenshot from the object viewer.

What are others doing?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi,

>> 3DDWF is exactly what I want for this but it just doesn't work (quality is terrible at the highest precision)

Can you upload this DWF so we  can see what means "terrible quality" for you? (mark the positions that are terrible and if possible show also the source material so we see the original quality).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: randyspear6624

Navisworks.  The designers have Simulate, engineers have Freedom.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 13
owenmull

You could use Jing (www.techsmith.com) and record screenshots, short videos, etc. and send that out, too.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

@randyspear6624 wrote:

I'd like to quickly share 3d models with my projects managers on a regular basis.

3DDWF is exactly what I want for this but it just doesn't work (quality is terrible at the highest precision). The next best solution is to to a drive through but you can't record those either. So I'm left with sending them screenshot from the object viewer.

What are others doing?

Theoretically that's what InfraWorks is supposed to help you with. I haven't tried exporting a C3D corridor to it, though. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: Cadguru42

Can be a bit of extra work and effort to use Infraworks for a quick visualise.

Why not just isolate the objects and use 3DOrbit? I have been using this for my models (windfarm infrastructure corridors 10km long) and it works better than object viewer IMHO.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 13
Neilw_05

I think the intent is to provide a 3D model that the consumers can view and orbit in a free viewer such as DWF viewer or PDF.

It is surprising that Autodesk does not support export to 3D PDF.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: Neilw_05

It does, albeit with a third-party plug-in.  I think with both 3D DWF and Navisworks already being done in-house, letting 3D PDF be farmed out is a good use of resources.  I tried 3D PDF a couple of years back and found it glitchy compared to the other options.

Message 9 of 13
Neilw_05
in reply to: dgorsman

Hmm..in my workflow I often need to send files to users that don't have DWF or Navisworks. As PDF is ubiquitous it really should be a supported format.

What plugin did you have in mind?
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 10 of 13
randyspear6624
in reply to: Cadguru42

Yes, this is the intent. The people i'm sharing it with don't use C3D.

Attached is a typical corridor plot with 3ddwfprec set to 6 and my origin moved closer to the model.

I'm surprised at the array of answers, I started going down the 3ds max road hoping that i could send some sort of video at least but that is a beast in itself that will require more of my time to get up to speed on. I haven't used Navisworks yet but I'll give it a whirl. Autodesk 360 is another possible solution but i suspect they're sharing 3ddwf's there. 

If the answer isn't simple and I do need to learn a new program, what do you suggest? 3ds max, navisworks, infraworks?

thanks for the replies so far.

Message 11 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: Neilw_05

The only one I know of is from Tetra4D.  Not sure if they have exclusive development rights or not, as I haven't seen much of anything otherwise.  The 3D PDF specs are published by ISO, so its not like its closely held information.

Message 12 of 13
dgorsman

3DS MAX isn't what you are looking for.  Its high end visualization software.  Use it at the end of a project to create promotional videos for conference booths, YouTube, and future proposals.  Like Civil3D, some form of training is required to get acceptable results.  Don't have any experience with Infraworks, others can chime in with more detail on that.  Looks to be something between DWF and 3DS MAX, for (relatively) quick creation of presentation quality visuals.  Navisworks allows you to bring together models from many different sources (e.g. we have projects with piping from several different softwares, structural steel from anther, process equipment from CATIA, and grade from Civil3D), walk around, do some basic measurements, inspect object properties, and so on.  It will open 3D DWF files, too (including the free Freedom viewer).

Message 13 of 13
Neilw_05
in reply to: dgorsman

I've been down this path myself. After spending hours learning the basics of Infrastructure Modeler I discovered it does not export to 3D PDF either. All you can do is create video fly-throughs which of course is not good for freely reviewing a model. I don't think it's the answer you are looking for.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report