Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Alignments

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
RS1676
385 Views, 10 Replies

Sharing Alignments

Hi ~

We have upgraded to Civ3D 2015 a few months ago and got a contract to work with the city and a few other private subcons who are still using earlier versions of C3D (I think the earliest one is still on C3D 2011) on a superbig subdivision project worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

How do we share our alignments with them?  When sending downsaved or XMLed copies, they say our dwgs are just big blobs of blocks that can't be manipulated.

What is the best way to export our alignments and surfaces so they can work with it?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: RS1676

To the best of my knowledge, 2015, 2014, and 2013 can all share C3D components in DWG files. Meaning that you can start a C3D DWG in 2013, make edits in 2014 or 2015, and still go back to 2013

For 2012 and earlier, backwards compatibility was not an option. You can open an old drawing in a newer version, but never the other direction. Once a C3D DWG is saved in a higher version, you can't go backwards (at least not without wrecking the AEC objects)

If you have to go back to 2011, then you'll have to LandXML share the alignments AFAIK.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 11
Pointdump

Randy,

Here's what I'd do:
Tell the subcontractors to download the Demo version of 2015. It's good for 60 days. Then send them your files. Problem solved.

Yer welcome.  SmileyWink.gif

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 11
mathewkol

It's 60 days now? You sure it isn't 30?

Anyway, that helps only for the trial period and when that's over, the project may be messed up. Better to implement a compatibility strategy now using XML and any others techniques.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 11
Pointdump
in reply to: mathewkol

Matt,

Yep, it's 60 days. Surprised me too.

My post was meant to be humorous. Note the winking smiley.

As for incompatibility problems, all I can say is that if I wanted a piece of a "superbig subdivision project worth hundreds of millions of dollars", I'd find a way, either through cleverness or digging into my wallet for $6K.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: Pointdump

Pointdump wrote:

Tell the subcontractors to download the Demo version of 2015.

That is a violation of the EULA ("solely for Evaluation Purposes"), but I've never heard of them coming after someone for this either.

Message 7 of 11
wfberry

I thought that was what the Object Enabler is for.

Bill

Message 8 of 11
tcorey

If you save down to the old version using ExporttoAutoCAD, your Civil 3D alignments will be exploded into lines and arcs. Your contractor can re-create the alignments using Create Alignment from Objects.

I prefer LandXML, but this does provide another option.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 11
RS1676
in reply to: Pointdump

Pointdump wrote:

Matt,

Yep, it's 60 days. Surprised me too.

My post was meant to be humorous. Note the winking smiley.

As for incompatibility problems, all I can say is that if I wanted a piece of a "superbig subdivision project worth hundreds of millions of dollars", I'd find a way, either through cleverness or digging into my wallet for $6K.

Dave

6k for who us or them? And its more like 138k since theres a whole bunch of us involved.

If you mean for us well..... I tried that but Autodesk graciously won't let us purchase "old" software even if only a few years ago and I tried reactivating our 2012 license but was denied at every doorway with an "invalid serial".

We are the black sheep in this circle so either we play ball or we have to leave. Thats what I was told metaphorically.

Tip to Autodesk: Continue selling old versions with the caveat that no support will be given. I'd gladly pay for my licenses again...and rightly so since I'll have 70% more of our workstations running additional copies of C3D.

Message 10 of 11
RS1676
in reply to: wfberry

wfberry wrote:

I thought that was what the Object Enabler is for.

Bill

Tried that but its mainly for viewing and light modifications only.

Message 11 of 11
rkmcswain

RandyShiroma3571 wrote:

..... but Autodesk graciously won't let us purchase "old" software even if only a few years ago and I tried reactivating our 2012 license but was denied at every doorway with an "invalid serial".

If you are current on subscription, you can download and use up to 3 versions back with no special consideration. You can also obtain and use versions older than this by making the appropriate request.

Tip to Autodesk: Continue selling old versions with the caveat that no support will be given.

Put yourself in Autodesk's shoes on this. Why would they do that when they can require you to purchase a new license? They own the field, the equipment, and are the umpires.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report