Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Default Point Group

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jtroutt
1816 Views, 6 Replies

Set Default Point Group

How do I set a Default Point Group?  When creating points manually, I want them to automatically go into a certain/current point group, but since I don't know the point range prior to creating the points, I am having to continuously update the "include" points catergory.  I can set the default/current layer, default point style, etc, can I do the same with point group?  I understand about the "all points" group and the description keys that can be utilized in the other individual point groups to group information , but Is there a better way?  Under the point creation toolbar, there is a point group template, but when I create a point group thru there, it doesn't do anything but create the point group.  None of the newly created points go into that group....  what is the point of that option? 

Thanks for reading,

J

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: jtroutt

@jtroutt wrote:

How do I set a Default Point Group?  When creating points manually, I want them to automatically go into a certain/current point group, but since I don't know the point range prior to creating the points, I am having to continuously update the "include" points catergory.  

Set your desired point group's Include range to the next point number (can be seen in the create points Identity section) through 999999. Once done, go back and change it to the real range. No need to 'continously update' the property. 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 7
Joe-Bouza

If you use by number you have to dedicate a a range to make it easy. You can also include by description. Surely you can dedicate the description, no?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
deltacoolguy

I understand exactly what the OP is saying, and I would like to be able to do the same thing.  There are times that I would like to set a "current" point group where all points I create, as I create them, regardless any other parameters such as number or description, gets automatically added to the current point group only (and _all points, of course).  Being careful with descriptions often works fine, but is not always efficient for what I am doing at the moment.

If I understand the answers correctly, the short answer is, "No, you can't do that."

Off to the wishlist forum, I guess.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 5 of 7
Sinc
in reply to: deltacoolguy

There is third-party support for this...

http://www.quuxsoft.com/

In general, all point creation commands in this suite allow automatic assignment to a Point Group.  You can also pre-create Point Groups that include various Description Keys, etc., and an automatic Point Group Update occurs, so you don't have to constantly go into Toolspace and update your Point Groups.

There are a few limitations...  Autodesk screwed us up at one point, I think when they added the Import Events, because that doesn't trigger the automatic update the way it used to do in older versions of C3D.  But it usually works.  And there are a number of Point Creation commands in the Sincpac-C3D that let you select EXACTLY which Point Group you want each point to be added to.

Sinc
Message 6 of 7
BrianHailey

If you aren't using description keys, set the default layer to whatever, create the points, select the points on that layer, isolate the objects, add to point group. Not exactly what you are wanting but a possible workaround.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 7
deltacoolguy
in reply to: BrianHailey

@BrianHailey wrote:

If you aren't using description keys, set the default layer to whatever, create the points, select the points on that layer, isolate the objects, add to point group. Not exactly what you are wanting but a possible workaround.

The best work-around I've seen thus far.  Thanks.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report