Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server switch - PC to MAC ??

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Rpetre44
713 Views, 14 Replies

Server switch - PC to MAC ??

Our server is aging and needs replaced.  Our in house IT guy wants to switch from PC to a Mac server.  Which essentially means we would switch to Macs.  Any suggestions?  all of our programs run in PC format and was wondering how this major change might affect how we are running right now.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rkmcswain
in reply to: Rpetre44

I'm not saying it won't work, but TEST it first.

We switched to a non-Windows O/S bases server and all h3ll broke loose, specifically data loss when "saving" drawings. The save appeared to work fine but the data loss was found later.

Although Autodesk does not publish anything that says this, they specifically told us they only support DWG file storage on pure Windows Server O/S.

See post 13 in this thread also.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 15
Cadguru42

@Rpetre44 wrote:

Our server is aging and needs replaced.  Our in house IT guy wants to switch from PC to a Mac server.  Which essentially means we would switch to Macs.  Any suggestions?  all of our programs run in PC format and was wondering how this major change might affect how we are running right now.

I thought Civil 3D was Windows only?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 15

With your statement "Which essentially means we would switch to Macs." it's not a good idea. Civil3D won't run on MAC except via Virtualization or Bootcamp, why pay the 2x-3x price premium for a MAC to boot into WIndows.

What else has to run on your server that might be windows specific? Sharepoint, SQL Server, Active Directory, etc.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 5 of 15

I agree.  Yes, all of our software is PC based.  The selling point was the Mac server is only $1,000 vs. $10,000.  Ironically the cost to transfer and setup a new Mac system was left out, which in the end will basically eat up most of the difference.  If we are running parallel/virtual, will there be a lag or slow down?  I just want to make sure I'm not missing something before I give my point of view on the idea. 

Message 6 of 15
dgorsman

10:1 difference?  That sounds more than a little 'off'.  I'm not sure apples are being compared to apples (so to speak).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 15

10:1 price difference is WAY off if comparing similar hardware and server capabilities.

Mike Robertson
Message 8 of 15

Might have to take my last comment back, depending on how many users are in your office the price for Windows may be high because every computer/user that accesses a windows server must have a Client Access License (CAL) to be legal.

Mike Robertson
Message 9 of 15
mathewkol

Yikes, I had enough trouble getting a client running on a Novell network.  I'd hate to imagine what could happen with a MAC network.  I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

You also have to consider support.  Autodesk will very likely not help you, nor will your resleller...especially not for free with something that is unsupported.  For an extra 9G, it should be totally worth it to go with Windows.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 10 of 15
tcorey

Don't let this happen. It's a really bad idea.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 11 of 15
Darin.Green

Having a MAC server may force you guys to switch your client machines to MAC as well, because PC and MAC using different drive formats which mean if you have a PC and the server is a MAC, you'll will not be able to save anything to the server. <-- Unless they use a middle ware which will change the format on the fly.

Middleware isn't good for your situation because the AutoCAD files can easy become corrupted from a format change. This will likely cause your drawings to display "This drawing was created by an Autodesk Application..." somthing to that affect.

Aside from the drive formats, most of Autodesk application will not run in a MAC environment. For this reason, I recommend staying with PC's but there's other ways to handle this such as Parelles or Bootcamp to use Windows in a virtual environment through the MAC. Here's a link for the support application that run natively in MAC...

http://usa.autodesk.com/products/mac-compatible-products

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 12 of 15
Rpetre44

Thank you everyone for your input. We are at a point where fixing or replacing items has caused some issues.  Old computers, software, old and new versions, etc.  Its time to upgrade everything and I was looking for recommendations.

We are a civil engineering/land surveyor firm with 10 designers.  Small to mid sized projects, up to 100/200 acre sites.

I guess the ultimate question is:

If you were starting out from scratch what servercomputerssoftware would you put together?

Message 13 of 15
tcorey

Being a civil firm leaves you little choice. PC/Windows is where your design applications are available. I know of nothing  for civil design on Mac. If you were an architect it would be different.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 14 of 15
Darin.Green

Client machines:

Operating System: PC with Window 7 64bit

RAM: 8GB Minimum

Processor: Intel i7

Server:

Operating System: Windows Server 2012 64bit

Hard Drive: As much as you can afford with Raid 5 or Raid 6

Software:

Infrastructure Design Suite Ultimate 2014

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 15 of 15
dgorsman

What software are we running?

What software is our client running?

Will it run natively on the new system?

If not, how much work will it be to get it running?  Will that be supported by the software vendors?

Is there eqivalent software available that will run natively?

What format do our deliverables have to be in?

Do we have people on staff with the technical skills for this new system?

If not, what would it take to train them?  Can we get extra support?

Can we readily get replacement support staff if others leave?

What is our budget for replacing hardware?

Will the hardware cost be the same for another system?

How long do we expect to use the current hardware?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report