Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Memory Issue with 2014

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Cadguru42
2333 Views, 9 Replies

Serious Memory Issue with 2014

I just loaded up 2014 and thought I'd try it out. I opened a 2013 drawing, did a save as (just in case), and then did an etransmit to downgrade it to exploded 2010 format. I noticed it was running awfully slow for a small drawing (less than 1mb) with an xref (which is also less than 1mb), so I checked the task manager. This is what I found. BTW, I don't use AutoCAD 360, so I'm not sure why it's loading like this. 

memory_issue_2014.png

The screenshot shows it at 16GB, but it went up to 20GB of memory. Then Windows started reporting to me that I was low on memory (I'm on a 64bit machine, so this should never happen). I had to close the AdSync.exe process. My ZIP file was created and acad.exe didn't crash, but now I'm wondering what's happening. 

Nice to know the very first thing I do out of the box with 2014 causes 20GB of my memory to be used on a drawing that is 730k in size. Not a good sign, Autodesk.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: Cadguru42

Can you reproduce this? Did you start a Support Request on the Subscription site?

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Cadguru42
in reply to: AllenJessup

@AllenJessup wrote:

Can you reproduce this? Did you start a Support Request on the Subscription site?

Allen Jessup

After looking around some more I found a tab under options for Online. I turned off the automatic sync. Since then I haven't had the issue. I'm not even sure why it was turned on by default and I never saw the option to disable it on install other than to not install 360 at all. This sounds more like an issue with Autodesk 360 than Civil 3D itself. As a side note, when I went to save the drawing it was write protected. I had to go into Explorer and change it back to read/write. Autodesk 360 must have locked the file for some reason. 

I installed Autodesk 360 just to check it out even though we'll never use it. I'll probably just uninstall it anyway.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 10
AllenJessup

Good catch! Thanks for posting the answer.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
neilyj666

it certainly seems that the default is to have all files saved to the cloud. i have found it useful to save my template to the cloud but apart from that I'm not sure how useful it'll be.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 10
DarrenP
in reply to: neilyj666

you have to edit the setup.ini so Autodesk 360 won't install:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014/How-To-Install-AutoCAD-2014-WITHOUT-Autodesk-360/td-...

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: neilyj666

Hi,

>> it certainly seems that the default is to have all files saved to the cloud

Even worse, when I installed 2014 all my 2013 installations also turned back to automatically save into cloud (and yes, I had already disabled the cloud-saving in 2013, so it was set to OFF before I installed 2014).

What I can't say now is what of the 2014-products I installed changed that setting, I installed AutoCAD, Map3D, Civil3D, Infraworks and 3DS Max Design. So it might be only one of those 2014-installs that changed my 2013 settings.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 10
Cadguru42
in reply to: DarrenP

@DarrenP wrote:

you have to edit the setup.ini so Autodesk 360 won't install:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014/How-To-Install-AutoCAD-2014-WITHOUT-Autodesk-360/td-...

There was an option under the installer to uncheck Autodesk 360, which should keep it from being installed. When I installed 2013 I didn't install it at all. In 2014 I thought I'd check it out, but after seeing the memory issues, I'm just disabling it and probably never going to use it. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 9 of 10
C3D-Nash

Same here. I replicate this issue all day long. As soon as AdSync starts, it just slowly starts consuming memory until it gets it all (10 GB +) and never lets go of it. I installed the Live Update 1 for Autodesk 360 desktop companion (4.0.27.1 to 4.0.32.100), but no difference. Sure I can disable it, but I really want this feature to work to begin easily sharing files with our clients, outside consultants, and contractors. I'd also love to save and sync my settings. From everything I see, it all requires AdSync to be working.

I got the same issue of 2013 sync automatically activating after installing 2014. I suppose I'll just go back in, deactivate them all, and sit here and wait until we see a working fix from Autodesk... Such a shame for a product with so much potential.

Message 10 of 10
bcsurvey
in reply to: C3D-Nash

Sorry about reviving this old thread, but I had a similar experience with C3D '14.  However, even after I unchecked Adsync.exe in startup list (Start button->"msconfig" in text box->choose startup tab) and restarted, what still caused the memory-gobble was in trying to join 2 feature lines.  I reproduced the problem twice, auditing the .dwg each time before realizing that switching the order in which I joined the lines worked fine without the lock and subsequent memory loading. 

???????????????????????

Sometimes I feel as if the software is actually laughing at us . . .

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report