Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sections not showing proposed surfaces.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
gccdaemon
597 Views, 8 Replies

Sections not showing proposed surfaces.

I am working on a road with ditches on either side. The side ditches are independant to the road cooridor and so are on seperate cooridors. I cannot get my sections to show proposed surfaces for the ditches. I sampled the existing surface without errors, and the cooridor shows correctly in the section view. I have added a surface for the TOP surface of the ditches as well as other surfaces to the section sources and none of them are showing. I have even gotten the ditch alignment flowlines to show, but still no surface. Any ideas? I've tried everything I can think of.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: gccdaemon

Is the style of the ditch surface set up to show? It can be a little tricky, but when you created the corridor surface, did you set up the proper style for the surface? In section view you see the corridor feature lines, you can not show that in profile, so check the surface style again. From what you are describing is the only thing I can think of.

Message 3 of 9
gccdaemon
in reply to: Anonymous

No, the style works fine. I applied it to the existing surface and it's good to go. As for the profile of the ditches it just shows a point at the CL of the ditch.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

How big is the design file? Can you post it?

Message 5 of 9
gccdaemon

Wish I could. We can't even upload images because aparently EVERYTHING is sensitive information including that new ziggy cartoon. Lets give a big hand to over-protective network admin!! LOL

On another note, the file is 3.4meg. No reason for it not to work. I've only got about 15 profiles, and 4 cooridors currently. No intersections yet. 15 sections and about 6 cooridor templates. Not much in it. Under sections tab in section view properties EVERYTHING is checked. Will the section show surfaces if they're linked to other alignments?

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Wish I could. We can't even upload images because apparently EVERYTHING is sensitive information including that new ziggy cartoon.

That sucks. And unfortunately, the sections can sample only corridor surfaces that are linked to the parent alignment. But, they can sample any TIN surface. So what you might want do is to created a TIN detached surface from the ditch corridor. Pick the corridor and on the ribbon, under "Launch pad" choose "Static surface from corridor". You can sample these surfaces on whatever sections you want. You will not have a permanent link to your corridor, but I hope this helps.

Message 7 of 9
gccdaemon

I'll see what I can do. I'll let you know as soon as I get a few things figgured out.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 8 of 9
BWYarger

I have tried the suggested method with the lanch pad command, but I don't seem to have that specific command on my ribbon. 

I have a final surface that includes all of the top surfaces from the various corridors that I want to include, but I can't seem to get the sections to sample the final surface.  The section dialog lists four surfaces, but I have a dozen from the existing, various corridors, and a final that combines all top surfaces.  I plan to make a final datum surface as soon as I get the sections working for the tops.  The project is a new driveway with about 500' of new ditches along an existing highway.  There are also ditches along the driveway that tee into the highway ditch that is piped under the driveway.  It is a pretty standard design, but we seem to have a few more corridors than normal due to the ditch work.  The corridors based on the main alignment show in the sections, but I can't seem to get the driveway and related ditches included in the sections that are based on the highway.

BTW, I have used C3D for years, but not on an ongoing basis, so I may be a bit slow for now that I am getting back into it after not using it for a couple of years.  My CAD tech just quit on me in the middle of a project, so I am trying to pick up where he left off and clean up the mess.  I am still well versed in plain AutoCAD, but I am spending more in in help than at the command line with C3D.  Any suggestions on good current tutorial videos would be appreciated.

Brad

C3D 2011

Vista Business 64

3 GHz C2Quad

8 GB Ram

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
Message 9 of 9
BWYarger
in reply to: BWYarger

I found the soluntion in another post.  In the prospection, go to the alignments, sample line groups, sections and right click to bring up an option to sample more sources.  It also always removing sources, but I am having problems with the information remaining in the drawn sections even though it is no longer shown in the prospector.

Brad

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report