Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section of a model as its own model

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
JWH0420
345 Views, 7 Replies

Section of a model as its own model

I am currently using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010 for surveying work and have been trying to figure out how to use part of an existing survey of land model.  I have it in a layout (paper space) and used a viewport to get the section I am after but there are some changes in labeling and minor model modifications needed to make it a stand alone model and I do not want to modify the original model to make these changes.  How can I take a section like I have in view port and make it into its own model with a different scale so the changes can be made and the original model is left in tact?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JWH0420

I am not sure if I completely understand the question, but if you have a viewport in your layout and run the "chspace" command, you can project objects from paperspace into modelspace. It uses the scale factor of the viewport and places the objects on the coordinates directly below the viewport.

Message 3 of 8
JWH0420
in reply to: Anonymous

I want to use just a selected portion of the original model, rescale it, and make changes to the removed portion without affecting the original model

Message 4 of 8
wfberry

It appears that you need to brush up on model and paper space.  The "selected portion" and the "original model" are one and the same.  In Paper Space you are viewing the model thru the viewport's "Window".  You can control what you are seeing by using the VP Freeze using Layer Properties Manager.  The Viewport also controls the scale of your paper space printout.

Bill

Windows 7 x 64 Professional
Nvidia GeForce 9800 & 8500
12 GB Ram
i7 965 @ 3.20 GHz
Corsair Force 240 GB SSD
Infrastructure Suite 2014

Message 5 of 8
JWH0420
in reply to: wfberry

locking a viewport and setting its scale isnt the problem its the changes that need to be made that creats the problem.  like text size or correct termination of boundry lines addition of labeling on variences etc... im asking how to take the section from the original model and make such changes without changing the original

Message 6 of 8
mathewkol

How about just copying what you want into a new DWG file?

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 8
fcernst

Just perform a SaveAs and create another (duplicate) drawing file, and have at it without worry of affecting the original model.

The models are stored in the indivdual drawing files now, and not in a database like LDD does.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 8
jmayo-EE

Just to add to the geat advice of creating a new file. If you need the original surface in your working/design file to depict original conditions, look up Data Shortcuts in Help and you will be able to reference the original ground into your work.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report