Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section View Groups, Max in Row & Column. Where's it gone - 2010?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
MikeEvansUK
3607 Views, 14 Replies

Section View Groups, Max in Row & Column. Where's it gone - 2010?

I have never really been able to get the sheets to work correctly to match what I need in a viewport for a certain size instead needing to relocate them horizontally or vertically but now in r2010 it just got even harder.

There used to be a setting in the section group plot style which you could specify the maximum number of sections in a row or column before it started a new line. Where has it gone ~ I thought it was there in B3?

It now seems to decide for its self what number so I'm left with manually repositioning all the sections in columns to get a drawing sorted.. Painful when you are re-stacking all the sections from # 4 onwards.

Please can we have it back in the next Update pack or can someone tell me where the chuffin things got relocated to.

Mike.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Mike,

May I know the difficulty in 2010? Are you useing
plot by page? or plot all? If you are using plout by page and if your page size
matches to the intended plot sheet - Civil 3D will compute how many sections
will fit in a given sheet and arranges them per your other settings. I wonder
what difficulty you are facing in it. Can yu please elaborate it to me (if you
like at "chakri dot gavini at autodesk dot com"?)

One of the complaints we heard in the past is that
"project to project it is tedious to figure out how many sections fit in a page.
sometimes the number we select in group plot style work for some sheets and do
not for other".
To help users we started this
computation and maximizing the page usage.

Thanks

Chakri [Autodesk]

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
have never really been able to get the sheets to work correctly to match what
I need in a viewport for a certain size instead needing to relocate them
horizontally or vertically but now in r2010 it just got even harder. There
used to be a setting in the section group plot style which you could specify
the maximum number of sections in a row or column before it started a new
line. Where has it gone ~ I thought it was there in B3? It now seems to decide
for its self what number so I'm left with manually repositioning all the
sections in columns to get a drawing sorted.. Painful when you are re-stacking
all the sections from # 4 onwards. Please can we have it back in the next
Update pack or can someone tell me where the chuffin things got relocated to.
Mike.
Message 3 of 15
MikeEvansUK

Hi Chakri, Sorry I have used to selecting the number of sections in a row and doing it by trial and error and was not aware of these changes (were they mentioned in the Tuckerman docs or new features?). As a consequence I turned my back on the plot by page and just used plot all along side max in a row/column.

I have tested what you said and after playing with the spacings and margins I get a page layout similar to what I expected so it does seem to function so long as it is configured correctly.

In order to achieve this I had to:
Create a new "system" DWF plotter just for the job of plotting the sections, remove the page sizes and add custom ones which match the viewport extents. On a standard A1 sheet the viewport would be smaller due to the border and title block, the sheet size is now 751,584 with no margins but this will change for each different size and type of sheet we have (Landscape and portrait, title block along right side or along bottom of page) so I now need to create 3 "viewport sizes" and 3 page setups for each single page size.

That's a heck of a workaround to get sections out: Might is suggest that next release ~ assuming there is one : ) we could just specify a Viewport size in paper or model units rather than having to use a page setup and plotter. That way you could change it through the interface rather than having to adjust through your plotter and page setups.

Obviously if there is already a way to do this please let me know as I have obviously missed a trick.

Thanks

Mike
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 4 of 15
lauraford5837

Totally Agree with Mike....and his comments were made in 2008. The work around for different situations gets long and drawn out. We (users of C3D) just want it back.

Message 5 of 15
troma

Bump this thread.
I just want sections in one column in model space. The program goes 7 in a row down the column and then goes to the next. Where is the setting for this?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 15
mathewkol

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 15
mathewkol

If I need that I create a custom page size wide enough to accomodate the sections and really tall so they all fit on a page. And I use the Production option.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 8 of 15
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: mathewkol

Wow A blast from the Past..

We'll seems like my original comment as to "having to create a new sheet set up" etc still stands today.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English

Message 9 of 15
troma
in reply to: mathewkol

When I choose 'Draft' I should have total control over where it is going to place them. I just want to put them all in one column, can it be so hard?

I just tried using 'Production' for my first time ever. The sheet is big enough for four of them, but it placed 38 sections right smack exactly on top of each other. Apparently I need a tutorial.

I only need to show half a section in each viewport anyway, so I'm going back to 'Draft' placement and manual viewports. And griping 😉 (where is that IdeaStation?)

Mark Green

Message 10 of 15
jmayo-EE
in reply to: troma

"Bump this thread.
I just want sections in one column in model space. The program goes 7 in a row down the column and then goes to the next. Where is the setting for this?"

THis use to work in some older versions but I have long lost this ability. Would love to have it back.

I know I have a few old posts here requesting the same thing.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I must admit I have not tried it in 14 or 15 yet.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I just never got a sheet seup that worked and always had xs's in more than one column. I will be trying again soon.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
Jay_B
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:
I just tried using 'Production' for my first time ever. The sheet is big enough for four of them, but it placed 38 sections right smack exactly on top of each other.

This thread might help.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 14 of 15
Ntuthuko.

BUMP

Does anyone know how to control the number of section views per column in DRAFT placement?

Regards,

Ntuthuko

Message 15 of 15
troma
in reply to: Ntuthuko.

I wish this setting was in the Section View Group Plot Style.

IIRC if you count the total number of section views to be created, get the square root of that number and round up to the next integer, this will be the number of rows and columns created.

In other words: no. I don't know of any way to control this.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report