Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale 1:400

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Strax
16021 Views, 25 Replies

Scale 1:400

I have a problem.

I want to have my drawing in scla e1:400 or 1:600 but I dont know how I should do that.

In my work I have to download a map från a website and then convert it in RXview to DWG format. Then I draw my things on it but I cant get the scale.

/ Jenny

Tags (3)
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
antoniovinci
in reply to: Strax

Strax wrote:

I want to have my drawing in scla e1:400 or 1:600 but I dont know how I should do that

Madame, I'm sure you're kiddin' us...

In the whole world, never and nobody would print or draw in such non-standard scales, so please scan your order, and upload it here, thx.

Message 3 of 26
Strax
in reply to: antoniovinci

Im not kidding! 🙂

I want to have 1 mm on the drawing is 400 mm in reality.

That is what the said to me.

/ Jenny

Message 4 of 26
neilyj666

No reason why you cant have a scale of 1:569 or anything else, its just a bit unconventional.

You need to draw at full size in modelspace and let the paperspace viewport deal with the scaling.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 26
antoniovinci
in reply to: neilyj666

neilyj wrote:
You need to draw at full size in modelspace and let the paperspace viewport deal with the scaling.

Well, this sounds like Martian slang for our beautiful Jenny, trust me.
Without watching at her job order, we cannot advise anything.
Moreover, I guess she needs spending a couple of weeks in the nearest Autocad Training Center...

Message 6 of 26
MarySeufert

Hi Jenny, and welcome

Neilyj is right when he advises that in model space all objects should be drawn 1:1. Then use paper space viewports to scale the linework to your desired print scale and page size. Antonio is wrong to say 1:400 or 600 isn't standard. They are acceptable for large scale situations. Example: A citiy's sewer network map, zoning maps, etc. I don't know about everyone else, but my engineering scale has 1:40 and 60 on it. It is pretty easy to multiply from those to get to 400/600 Smiley LOL

Do take some time to learn how to use scales correctly. Do some google searches on sheet setup, annotation scales, model space vs paper space. Here are some links to AutoCAD help to get you started.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-4F448A62-A99E-4AB5-AE50-9EAAC0485283

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-A576A246-5D21-45C8-8C12-F1FA2F9E373D

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-0D660AEB-0937-4C31-9EC0-ACCA16E7C5E0

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 7 of 26
antoniovinci
in reply to: MarySeufert

MarySeufert wrote:
1:400 or 600 are acceptable for large scale situations

Dear Mary, you're carring on Jenny's joke, so let's kidd ourselves more..

In Italy, if you give a 1:40 scaled paper plot to your master builder, he will immediately make some paper hats for his crew, to protect their head from the hot sun...

Message 8 of 26
volusiajim

Is there an inside joke going on here?

Message 9 of 26
jmayo-EE

It's that whole meters to feet thing.  A 40 or 400 scale plot is pretty common between the Altantic and Pacific.

By the way... wasn't Europe suppose to convert to US Imperial back in the 80's?

Just continuing the humor.  🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 26
antoniovinci
in reply to: jmayo-EE

jmayo wrote:

A 40 or 400 scale plot is pretty common between the Altantic and Pacific.

That's a good point, JM.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet Jenny's working in Scandinavia, so no matter of metric/imperial stuff.
I'm still convinced she misunderstood his boss order, that's why I'd like to have a look at it...

@ volusiajim

The origami hats are very widespread in italian construction sites, so I wrote the truth, sir.

Message 11 of 26
Kundertk

I agree that 1:400 is an odd scale.  Depending upon who the approving authority is, the scale could be unacceptable.   Around my part of the world, acceptable scales are 1:100, 200, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, or 2500.  We can generally make those work depending upon type of plan or plan/profile drawing.  

I have seen people using 1:400 for a single lot multifamily project.  I actually own a triangular engineering scale that happens to have 1:400 on it, but have NEVER seen 1:600 in use.  Weirder things could happen though.  I do recall seeing a dusty 1: 333.3 scale at a drafting supply store, once upon a time.  Not sure if anyone ever bought one of those.

Message 12 of 26
Cadguru42

The entire state of Tennessee's tax grid is based on 1:400, so I don't think calling that a strange scale is applicable. But as others have stated, always draw 1:1 in the model space, then make your prints at whatever scale you want. It's easy to make your viewport scale 1:400 or even 0.64:4258. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 13 of 26
neilyj666
in reply to: Cadguru42

@engrtech wrote:

The entire state of Tennessee's tax grid is based on 1:400, so I don't think calling that a strange scale is applicable. But as others have stated, always draw 1:1 in the model space, then make your prints at whatever scale you want. It's easy to make your viewport scale 1:400 or even 0.64:4258. 

Probably depends where in the world you are; for us in the metric world it IS a strange scale and Grapesquishy has quoted the conventional ones (yypically to be read as 1m : 500m)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 26
jmayo-EE
in reply to: neilyj666

"Probably depends where in the world you are"

That's what I said in different words but my humor never works here....  😮

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 15 of 26
MarySeufert
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@jmayo wrote:
but my humor never works here....  :o

It kept me from sending a flaming post. Smiley Tongue

This thread should never have devolved into an argument over whether 1:400 is appropriate or not. Jenny only got about 3 or 4 posts meant to help her. IMO, most were derisive, intentional or not. I would give out negative kudos if I could!

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 16 of 26
antoniovinci

engrtech wrote:

The entire state of Tennessee's tax grid is based on 1:400 

That sounds new to me, but I trust you, so I deeply apologize because of my comments.

In Europe, we never dimension a drawing in non-standard scales, since the master builder at the construction site has no time to calculate "how really long is this":
he thinks about 1:20/50/100/200/500/1000/2000/5000 factors, simply.

About Jenny's first post, she wrote at 8:26 a.m. CET, so it's almost sure she works in Europe, perhaps in UK (with "imperial" troubles) but more probably on the land (without 'em)...

Message 17 of 26
Strax

Thank you for all the answers!

I live in Sweden and it is not me that want to have that scale.

I am drawing for road constructions.

The problem was that the map that I downloades was in the wrong scale.

/ Jenny

Message 18 of 26
Cadguru42

@antoniovinci wrote:
@engrtech wrote:

That sounds new to me, but I trust you, so I deeply apologize because of my comments.

In Europe, we never dimension a drawing in non-standard scales, since the master builder at the construction site has no time to calculate "how really long is this":

About Jenny's first post, she wrote at 8:26 a.m. CET, so it's almost sure she works in Europe, perhaps in UK (with "imperial" troubles) but more probably on the land (without 'em)...

Our tax grid is 1:400, but when we do construction plans they're mostly 1" = 50' or 1" = 20' for smaller projects. We never make a set of construction plans that are larger than 1" = 50'. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 19 of 26
antoniovinci

Strax wrote: 

I live in Sweden

...I've bet about it, check this out:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Scale-1-400/m-p/5128384#M252589

Seems like it was only a great misunderstanding, I can go sleeping now...

Message 20 of 26
neilyj666

@engrtech wrote:

@antoniovinci wrote:
@engrtech wrote:

Our tax grid is 1:400, but when we do construction plans they're mostly 1" = 50' or 1" = 20' for smaller projects. We never make a set of construction plans that are larger than 1" = 50'. 

By quoting the scale in the same terms i.e. feet:feet rather than inches to feet (?), I get 1:4800, 1:600 and 1:240 i.e. similar to the metric scales of 1:5000, 1:500, 1:250

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report