Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample line increment not respected at start

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
troma
1562 Views, 33 Replies

Sample line increment not respected at start

AFAICT, creating sample lines at a specific increment within a range starting from the start of the range is impossible unless the start of the range is divisible by the increment.  This is a defect that needs fixing.

All advice welcome.  Meanwhile you'll find me typing in the 93 locations for my sample lines.  I believe this is what we made computers for.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
troma
in reply to: Jay_B

Yes, I found that one too while looking for my old post. I believe the poster is the same in both too, just a different login.

Mark Green

Message 22 of 34
TimYarris
in reply to: troma

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get some clarification on this issue.

If you had the option to set the start point for the sample line increment, would you expect the increment to continue from entity to entity, and from region to region? Or, would you want to have the option for the increment to start over at the beginning of a new region or line/curve?

Message 23 of 34
troma
in reply to: TimYarris

Creating sample lines 'By Range' is completely independent of corridors. I happened to have a corridor in this case, but many times I wouldn't. So I would expect the sample lines created in this method to totally ignore corridor regions and frequency.
If I specify a start point for the range, and an increment for the range, I would expect the sample lines to be created using those two pieces of information only.

Mark Green

Message 24 of 34
jmayo-EE

I would expect the increment to hold until the end of the alignment or sample range. I agree it should be independant of any corridor and having the option to restart the increment would be nice.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 25 of 34
Jay_B

The ability to start the Interval beginning from the BOP as opposed to current behavior of 0+000 as the interval

starting point.

This way as mentioned previously (when choosing a 15m interval) the first station after BOP will always be 15m 

after the BOP.

BOP = 1+000

1+015

1+030

BOP=3+000

3+015

3+030 etc.

The corridor interval frequency behavior may also have to change for such a change to be implemented so the sample line stations would have companion corridor frequency line stations at set interval. (If it's also currently tied to 0+000).

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 26 of 34
troma
in reply to: Jay_B

What does BOP stand for? I think you're talking about the alignment reference point, but I'm still wondering about the acronym.
I think when you set an alignment reference point, all stations should reflect increments from that point—alignment labels, profile labels, profile view station annotation, etc.

However, in this specific case of creating sample lines by a range of stations, I would expect the increment to literally increment from whatever station I choose as the start of the range.

The corridor frequency is obviously another question, and I'm not so sure of the answer there.  In this job I just set the frequency to 5m so that I would have a corridor line at every sample line location.  It would be nice if it was set by either the alignment reference point or some other setting in the corridor properties box.

Mark Green

Message 27 of 34
Jay_B

Troma, You are correct the Alignment Reference point (beginning alignment sta.) is what I mean.

BOP stands for Beginning of project and there are numerous acronyms used for the Alignment start point.

I thought that may be confusing for some after posting.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 28 of 34
TimYarris

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We will add this issue to our team's backlog.

Message 29 of 34
TimYarris

Hi everyone,

Our team is looking more closely at the sample line increment issue. To make sure we've got the whole story, I have two questions:

• How should station equations affect the increment?
  • Does corridor assembly frequency need to use the same behavior (assemblies placed at increments relative to the specified region start - not alignment start)?

Thanks again.

Tim

Message 30 of 34
troma

I'll post a reply because I started this off. But I don't really have an answer. I've never used a station equation, and I use corridors half as much as many others here. So I'd really like some others to drop in with their advice for Tim.
Thanks.

Mark Green

Message 31 of 34
AllenJessup

TimYarris wrote:

• How should station equations affect the increment?
  • Does corridor assembly frequency need to use the same behavior (assemblies placed at increments relative to the specified region start - not alignment start)?

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for jumping in on this.

What I would want to see is that the sample lines should fall every [increment] after the nearest major station back (towards the origin). If the distance from a sample line is less than [increment] from the next major station, create a sample line at the next major station and then increment from there.

"How should station equations affect the increment?"

Since the object is to create sample lines based on the major stationing. In the case of station equations the first sample line set after the equality should be the nearest station that falls on ( [nearest major station {Back}] + [increment]) unless a major station occurs within the equality then the first increment station after the station ahead.

So if you have an equality station of 3+042 back = 3+047 ahead. If [increment] is 15 then the first sample line would hit at 3+060. 3+000 + (3 * 15) falls between the back and ahead station. 3+000 + (4 * 15) falls after the ahead station so becomes the first station to get a sample line after the equality station.

"Does corridor assembly frequency need to use the same behavior (assemblies placed at increments relative to the specified region start - not alignment start)?"

In most cases I would say yes. But I like choices and I'm sure there's someone out there who has a reason not to want that. So if it's possible I'd say have the default behavior be to match the sample lines but allow that to be overridden with the every [increment] from 0+000 or from the first station of the alignment. Maybe even an option to specify the exact station. If I'm wishing. I'll wish big.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 32 of 34
DaveDrahn

troma, this can be done:

1) Go to your alignment properties and set your Reference Point Station to a station that would allow the beginning of you sample line range to be 0+000 - ie, if you want to start your evenly incrementing range at 0+130, you could set your Reference Point Station to -130.

2) Create your sample group and set the range to start at 0+000 with, say, 15m increments.  Your sample lines are now in the right spot, but not stationed correctly.

3) Select all your sample lines and, in properties, change the Lock to Sation value to False

4) Reset you Reference Point Station to 0+000

(badaboom)

Message 33 of 34
DaveM
in reply to: DaveDrahn

I must say Dave, I like the enthusiasm.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 34 of 34
troma
in reply to: DaveDrahn

@Anonymous wrote:

troma, this can be done:

1) Go to your alignment properties and set your Reference Point Station to a station that would allow the beginning of you sample line range to be 0+000 - ie, if you want to start your evenly incrementing range at 0+130, you could set your Reference Point Station to -130.

2) Create your sample group and set the range to start at 0+000 with, say, 15m increments.  Your sample lines are now in the right spot, but not stationed correctly.

3) Select all your sample lines and, in properties, change the Lock to Sation value to False

4) Reset you Reference Point Station to 0+000

(badaboom)

Shouldn't that be Bada bing, Bada boom!

I like it.  Without actually testing it, I will say this looks like a good method.

I'm gonna wait and see what Tim comes up with, but if I need to do this again soon I will try this out.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report