AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

rplake
Message 1 of 4 (186 Views)

Sample Projects in regards to xrefs & relative paths help

186 Views, 3 Replies
01-16-2014 12:58 PM

I am currently setting up a Sample project for Civil 3D 2014 and have a question regarding xref's and relative paths.  I have read quite a bit on this prior to this question so please excuse me if I missed it in my search. 

Goal: Save a folder with a typical file structure that includes a basic set of drawings used in most of our projects without repathing xrefs.

What works:  I have the structure created, the drawings in place and the xrefs attached all using X's as place holders.  Our drawings all begin with the job number being "xxx.xxx" or "123.456" and then the name of the drawing.  When I copy the project to the desired location and keep the x's in place, it recognizes that it should now look in that new location because of the relative path.

What dosnt work...yet: If I change the name of the xref replacing the x's with the job number, it resorts back to the original location of that xref.

Solution?  Thoughts?  removing the job number from the xrefs isnt an option and I am stuck.

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 2 of 4 (171 Views)

Re: Sample Projects in regards to xrefs & relative paths help

01-16-2014 02:24 PM in reply to: rplake
The reference manager may help repath the files upon renaming.
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 3 of 4 (157 Views)

01-16-2014 08:52 PM in reply to: rplake
It resorts back the original location because it can find a file named 123.456...you have to specify a new file name manually, or better yet by the technique Joe suggested.
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 4 of 4 (149 Views)

01-17-2014 05:09 AM in reply to: rplake

The Reference Manager Joe mentions is an external program and can be found here:

Start Menu>All Programs>Autodesk>Autodesk Autocad Civil 3D 2014>Reference Manager

It's a handy tool for remapping several files at once.

Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.