Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Projects in regards to xrefs & relative paths help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rplake
322 Views, 3 Replies

Sample Projects in regards to xrefs & relative paths help

I am currently setting up a Sample project for Civil 3D 2014 and have a question regarding xref's and relative paths.  I have read quite a bit on this prior to this question so please excuse me if I missed it in my search. 

Goal: Save a folder with a typical file structure that includes a basic set of drawings used in most of our projects without repathing xrefs.

What works:  I have the structure created, the drawings in place and the xrefs attached all using X's as place holders.  Our drawings all begin with the job number being "xxx.xxx" or "123.456" and then the name of the drawing.  When I copy the project to the desired location and keep the x's in place, it recognizes that it should now look in that new location because of the relative path.

What dosnt work...yet: If I change the name of the xref replacing the x's with the job number, it resorts back to the original location of that xref.

Solution?  Thoughts?  removing the job number from the xrefs isnt an option and I am stuck.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rplake

The reference manager may help repath the files upon renaming.
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 4
mathewkol

It resorts back the original location because it can find a file named 123.456...you have to specify a new file name manually, or better yet by the technique Joe suggested.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 4
Jay_B

The Reference Manager Joe mentions is an external program and can be found here:

Start Menu>All Programs>Autodesk>Autodesk Autocad Civil 3D 2014>Reference Manager

It's a handy tool for remapping several files at once.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report