Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same question as a year or so ago.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
169 Views, 9 Replies

Same question as a year or so ago.

Why are there so few 'how-to' books available for the Civil arena? Is it because: 1. Nobody really has time to write one. 2. They want to keep it a secret (job security)? 3. They really don't know the program well enough to write one? The last 'authoratative' book was written for Land 2i (which is being discontinued). I would think that with the emergence of Civil3D, that this kind of book would generate lots of $$$. If people can write books for evey change of Architectural Desktop version, WHY can't we?? Ok, I feel better now! :) Rick --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I beleive the answer to your questions as to why no books have come out since 2i is becuase up to this point the software has been going through an minor evolution with each release and no new books have really been necessary. With civil 3d however it is kind of a revolution in software (sounds kind of lame but I beleive it to be true). I do beleive we will see books about civil 3d soon. There has already been one released but I would advise you to stay away from it as it was written prior to the full product release and was not done very well at all. Information missing in the project data set and oversights in the book itself. I will not post the name of the book on the newsgroup but if you wish I will provide the name to you personally. There is a AOTC (Authorized Official Training Courseware) book in the works (at least that is what my re-seller tells me) and it should be out soon. "Rick Graham" wrote in message news:41ab5575$1_3@newsprd01... > Why are there so few 'how-to' books available for the Civil arena? Is it > because: > > 1. Nobody really has time to write one. > 2. They want to keep it a secret (job security)? > 3. They really don't know the program well enough to write one? > > The last 'authoratative' book was written for Land 2i (which is being > discontinued). I would think that with the emergence of Civil3D, that this > kind of book would generate lots of $$$. If people can write books for evey > change of Architectural Desktop version, WHY can't we?? > > Ok, I feel better now! :) > > Rick > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004 > >
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Landman, Your comments seem rather vaque... "Information missing in the project data set and not done very well". Perhaps you could be a bit more specific? I'm assuming you're refering to "Introducing Autodesk Civil 3D" (KTEK) since that is the only Civil 3D book available. We have several copies of the book and are very happy with it and the data sets provided! The book states it is based on the 2004 "Preview version" of the product. If you're using the book with 2005, the version that shipped in October '04, you are using an older book with a newer product which is akin to using using a AutoCAD 2000 book with AutoCAD 2002 Some of the material is still useful but some has probably changed. I know corridor modeling is not included in the book... I can live with that. IMO, we as adopters of this new technology, need to walk before we can run. Use the book to learn the basics such as point management, surface creation, labeling, etc. and wait for a book covering corridor modeling to ship at a later date. Since the authors are not Autodesk, how can they reasonably predict the future of this software? They took a chance writing a book on a preview release of the software. Based on what I have heard, excluding your post, the book is well written and is being adopted as a means to learning this software. Jeff "Landman" wrote in message news:41ab5ca7_3@newsprd01... >I beleive the answer to your questions as to why no books have come out > since 2i is becuase up to this point the software has been going through > an > minor evolution with each release and no new books have really been > necessary. With civil 3d however it is kind of a revolution in software > (sounds kind of lame but I beleive it to be true). I do beleive we will > see > books about civil 3d soon. There has already been one released but I would > advise you to stay away from it as it was written prior to the full > product > release and was not done very well at all. Information missing in the > project data set and oversights in the book itself. I will not post the > name > of the book on the newsgroup but if you wish I will provide the name to > you > personally. There is a AOTC (Authorized Official Training Courseware) book > in the works (at least that is what my re-seller tells me) and it should > be > out soon. > > "Rick Graham" wrote in message > news:41ab5575$1_3@newsprd01... >> Why are there so few 'how-to' books available for the Civil arena? Is it >> because: >> >> 1. Nobody really has time to write one. >> 2. They want to keep it a secret (job security)? >> 3. They really don't know the program well enough to write one? >> >> The last 'authoratative' book was written for Land 2i (which is being >> discontinued). I would think that with the emergence of Civil3D, that >> this >> kind of book would generate lots of $$$. If people can write books for > evey >> change of Architectural Desktop version, WHY can't we?? >> >> Ok, I feel better now! :) >> >> Rick >> >> >> --- >> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >> Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004 >> >> > >
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I can try to find the information in the data sets that I am refering to and get back to you if you wish. That book was provided to a class of students during a hands on training seminar. The class contained 10 students and all of the students had trouble with the book. There is a chance that you have a new release. I was vaque because I did not wish to name the book on this group. That is why I said I would provide a private email. If the book works for you great. It did not for myself or the other 9 students it the class. The instructor who also put the cours on was also so frustrated with the book. Oh and just to let you know....as for being adopted as a means of learning the softare. The book has been pulled from prodution. At least that is what my software provider has told me. I will post the missing data sets as per the book either today or tomorrow and you can let me know if your cd has them. "Jeff" wrote in message news:41aca626$1_1@newsprd01... > Landman, > > Your comments seem rather vaque... "Information missing in the project data > set and not done very well". Perhaps you could be a bit more specific? I'm > assuming you're refering to "Introducing Autodesk Civil 3D" (KTEK) since > that is the only Civil 3D book available. > > We have several copies of the book and are very happy with it and the data > sets provided! The book states it is based on the 2004 "Preview version" of > the product. If you're using the book with 2005, the version that shipped in > October '04, you are using an older book with a newer product which is akin > to using using a AutoCAD 2000 book with AutoCAD 2002 Some of the material is > still useful but some has probably changed. I know corridor modeling is not > included in the book... I can live with that. IMO, we as adopters of this > new technology, need to walk before we can run. Use the book to learn the > basics such as point management, surface creation, labeling, etc. and wait > for a book covering corridor modeling to ship at a later date. > > Since the authors are not Autodesk, how can they reasonably predict the > future of this software? They took a chance writing a book on a preview > release of the software. Based on what I have heard, excluding your post, > the book is well written and is being adopted as a means to learning this > software. > > Jeff > > > "Landman" wrote in message > news:41ab5ca7_3@newsprd01... > >I beleive the answer to your questions as to why no books have come out > > since 2i is becuase up to this point the software has been going through > > an > > minor evolution with each release and no new books have really been > > necessary. With civil 3d however it is kind of a revolution in software > > (sounds kind of lame but I beleive it to be true). I do beleive we will > > see > > books about civil 3d soon. There has already been one released but I would > > advise you to stay away from it as it was written prior to the full > > product > > release and was not done very well at all. Information missing in the > > project data set and oversights in the book itself. I will not post the > > name > > of the book on the newsgroup but if you wish I will provide the name to > > you > > personally. There is a AOTC (Authorized Official Training Courseware) book > > in the works (at least that is what my re-seller tells me) and it should > > be > > out soon. > > > > "Rick Graham" wrote in message > > news:41ab5575$1_3@newsprd01... > >> Why are there so few 'how-to' books available for the Civil arena? Is it > >> because: > >> > >> 1. Nobody really has time to write one. > >> 2. They want to keep it a secret (job security)? > >> 3. They really don't know the program well enough to write one? > >> > >> The last 'authoratative' book was written for Land 2i (which is being > >> discontinued). I would think that with the emergence of Civil3D, that > >> this > >> kind of book would generate lots of $$$. If people can write books for > > evey > >> change of Architectural Desktop version, WHY can't we?? > >> > >> Ok, I feel better now! :) > >> > >> Rick > >> > >> > >> --- > >> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > >> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > >> Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004 > >> > >> > > > > > >
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Just got off the phone with my reseller and they told me the book was pulled from production to correct all the errors and missing data in the data sets and has since been republished. You probably have a newer book than me. If that is the case then the book would have some value for those wishing to understand setting and styles but not design. My suggestion is to go through the tutorials and use these newsgroups when you have questions. I have alwasy found that the greatest asset to learning is those that are using the software and able to share there knowledge with others. "Landman" wrote in message news:41acaa8f_3@newsprd01... > I can try to find the information in the data sets that I am refering to and > get back to you if you wish. That book was provided to a class of students > during a hands on training seminar. The class contained 10 students and all > of the students had trouble with the book. There is a chance that you have a > new release. I was vaque because I did not wish to name the book on this > group. That is why I said I would provide a private email. If the book works > for you great. It did not for myself or the other 9 students it the class. > The instructor who also put the cours on was also so frustrated with the > book. Oh and just to let you know....as for being adopted as a means of > learning the softare. The book has been pulled from prodution. At least that > is what my software provider has told me. I will post the missing data sets > as per the book either today or tomorrow and you can let me know if your cd > has them. > > > "Jeff" wrote in message news:41aca626$1_1@newsprd01... > > Landman, > > > > Your comments seem rather vaque... "Information missing in the project > data > > set and not done very well". Perhaps you could be a bit more specific? I'm > > assuming you're refering to "Introducing Autodesk Civil 3D" (KTEK) since > > that is the only Civil 3D book available. > > > > We have several copies of the book and are very happy with it and the data > > sets provided! The book states it is based on the 2004 "Preview version" > of > > the product. If you're using the book with 2005, the version that shipped > in > > October '04, you are using an older book with a newer product which is > akin > > to using using a AutoCAD 2000 book with AutoCAD 2002 Some of the material > is > > still useful but some has probably changed. I know corridor modeling is > not > > included in the book... I can live with that. IMO, we as adopters of this > > new technology, need to walk before we can run. Use the book to learn the > > basics such as point management, surface creation, labeling, etc. and wait > > for a book covering corridor modeling to ship at a later date. > > > > Since the authors are not Autodesk, how can they reasonably predict the > > future of this software? They took a chance writing a book on a preview > > release of the software. Based on what I have heard, excluding your post, > > the book is well written and is being adopted as a means to learning this > > software. > > > > Jeff > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > news:41ab5ca7_3@newsprd01... > > >I beleive the answer to your questions as to why no books have come out > > > since 2i is becuase up to this point the software has been going through > > > an > > > minor evolution with each release and no new books have really been > > > necessary. With civil 3d however it is kind of a revolution in software > > > (sounds kind of lame but I beleive it to be true). I do beleive we will > > > see > > > books about civil 3d soon. There has already been one released but I > would > > > advise you to stay away from it as it was written prior to the full > > > product > > > release and was not done very well at all. Information missing in the > > > project data set and oversights in the book itself. I will not post the > > > name > > > of the book on the newsgroup but if you wish I will provide the name to > > > you > > > personally. There is a AOTC (Authorized Official Training Courseware) > book > > > in the works (at least that is what my re-seller tells me) and it should > > > be > > > out soon. > > > > > > "Rick Graham" wrote in message > > > news:41ab5575$1_3@newsprd01... > > >> Why are there so few 'how-to' books available for the Civil arena? Is > it > > >> because: > > >> > > >> 1. Nobody really has time to write one. > > >> 2. They want to keep it a secret (job security)? > > >> 3. They really don't know the program well enough to write one? > > >> > > >> The last 'authoratative' book was written for Land 2i (which is being > > >> discontinued). I would think that with the emergence of Civil3D, that > > >> this > > >> kind of book would generate lots of $$$. If people can write books for > > > evey > > >> change of Architectural Desktop version, WHY can't we?? > > >> > > >> Ok, I feel better now! :) > > >> > > >> Rick > > >> > > >> > > >> --- > > >> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > > >> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > > >> Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004 > > >> > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

When working with the datasets included with this book, keep in mind you are using Civil 3D 2005 (I'm assuming) to work with data created in a previous, "preview release". You may have problems with the styles and objects. I believe some of the objects and styles have changed between the preview release and 2005 due to additional object and/or labeling functionality in the later release. If you are experiencing problems with the datasets, try using the 2004 version of the product. Yes, production of the book *WAS* halted but "stuff happens" like nobody has ever experienced a product recall due to a manufacturing glitch?. As it was explained to me, the printing presses were uploaded with the a wrong or corrupt version of a file and some incorrect information was printed. This issue, however, was quickly resolved and customers that purchased the original book were sent replacements. Maybe someone can explain to you why you didn't get a replacement? The origianl CD contained all the correct datasets and was not sent with the replacement books. I.e., if you recieved a replacement book, you didn't get a replacement CD too. BTW, the number of books shipped before the production halt was minimal... I think I heard less than 30. I think the book will have value for quite some time because styles and settings are such an major part of Civil 3D and people need to learn the basics first. Creating a horizontal alignment is simple... getting labeled and appearing like you want requires knowledge of styles. If companies decide to use this product (Civil 3D) out-of-the-box without knowing anything about styles, they will probably think this is a horrible product and abandon all efforts to try implementing it. I'm not sure what you mean by not having value for design but I'm guessing you'r referring to the missing and/or changed features? Products evolve, features get discontinued, and new objects get added when a new version ships. What can you do? "...the greatest asset to learning is those that are using the software and able to share there knowledge with others". I couldn't agree more! The authors know Civil 3D inside and out and, except for the Autodesk develoment team, these KTEK guys know the product best. For the price, I think this book packs a lot of value. Is your reseller going to give you all the information in the book for $100? Sit down, read the book for an hour... you just recieved the same amount of knowledge (probably more) a typical reseller will give you for $100. Jeff "Landman" wrote in message news:41acaec3$1_1@newsprd01... > Just got off the phone with my reseller and they told me the book was > pulled > from production to correct all the errors and missing data in the data > sets > and has since been republished. You probably have a newer book than me. > > If that is the case then the book would have some value for those wishing > to > understand setting and styles but not design. My suggestion is to go > through > the tutorials and use these newsgroups when you have questions. I have > alwasy found that the greatest asset to learning is those that are using > the > software and able to share there knowledge with others. > > > "Landman" wrote in message > news:41acaa8f_3@newsprd01... >> I can try to find the information in the data sets that I am refering to > and >> get back to you if you wish. That book was provided to a class of >> students >> during a hands on training seminar. The class contained 10 students and > all >> of the students had trouble with the book. There is a chance that you >> have > a >> new release. I was vaque because I did not wish to name the book on this >> group. That is why I said I would provide a private email. If the book > works >> for you great. It did not for myself or the other 9 students it the >> class. >> The instructor who also put the cours on was also so frustrated with the >> book. Oh and just to let you know....as for being adopted as a means of >> learning the softare. The book has been pulled from prodution. At least > that >> is what my software provider has told me. I will post the missing data > sets >> as per the book either today or tomorrow and you can let me know if your > cd >> has them. >> >> >> "Jeff" wrote in message news:41aca626$1_1@newsprd01... >> > Landman, >> > >> > Your comments seem rather vaque... "Information missing in the project >> data >> > set and not done very well". Perhaps you could be a bit more specific? > I'm >> > assuming you're refering to "Introducing Autodesk Civil 3D" (KTEK) >> > since >> > that is the only Civil 3D book available. >> > >> > We have several copies of the book and are very happy with it and the > data >> > sets provided! The book states it is based on the 2004 "Preview >> > version" >> of >> > the product. If you're using the book with 2005, the version that > shipped >> in >> > October '04, you are using an older book with a newer product which is >> akin >> > to using using a AutoCAD 2000 book with AutoCAD 2002 Some of the > material >> is >> > still useful but some has probably changed. I know corridor modeling is >> not >> > included in the book... I can live with that. IMO, we as adopters of > this >> > new technology, need to walk before we can run. Use the book to learn > the >> > basics such as point management, surface creation, labeling, etc. and > wait >> > for a book covering corridor modeling to ship at a later date. >> > >> > Since the authors are not Autodesk, how can they reasonably predict the >> > future of this software? They took a chance writing a book on a preview >> > release of the software. Based on what I have heard, excluding your > post, >> > the book is well written and is being adopted as a means to learning > this >> > software. >> > >> > Jeff >> > >> > >> > "Landman" wrote in message >> > news:41ab5ca7_3@newsprd01... >> > >I beleive the answer to your questions as to why no books have come >> > >out >> > > since 2i is becuase up to this point the software has been going > through >> > > an >> > > minor evolution with each release and no new books have really been >> > > necessary. With civil 3d however it is kind of a revolution in > software >> > > (sounds kind of lame but I beleive it to be true). I do beleive we > will >> > > see >> > > books about civil 3d soon. There has already been one released but I >> would >> > > advise you to stay away from it as it was written prior to the full >> > > product >> > > release and was not done very well at all. Information missing in the >> > > project data set and oversights in the book itself. I will not post > the >> > > name >> > > of the book on the newsgroup but if you wish I will provide the name > to >> > > you >> > > personally. There is a AOTC (Authorized Official Training Courseware) >> book >> > > in the works (at least that is what my re-seller tells me) and it > should >> > > be >> > > out soon. >> > > >> > > "Rick Graham" wrote in message >> > > news:41ab5575$1_3@newsprd01... >> > >> Why are there so few 'how-to' books available for the Civil arena? >> > >> Is >> it >> > >> because: >> > >> >> > >> 1. Nobody really has time to write one. >> > >> 2. They want to keep it a secret (job security)? >> > >> 3. They really don't know the program well enough to write one? >> > >> >> > >> The last 'authoratative' book was written for Land 2i (which is >> > >> being >> > >> discontinued). I would think that with the emergence of Civil3D, >> > >> that >> > >> this >> > >> kind of book would generate lots of $$$. If people can write books > for >> > > evey >> > >> change of Architectural Desktop version, WHY can't we?? >> > >> >> > >> Ok, I feel better now! :) >> > >> >> > >> Rick >> > >> >> > >> >> > >> --- >> > >> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >> > >> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >> > >> Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004 >> > >> >> > >> >> > > >> > > >> > >> > >> >> > >
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Hi all - there are actually a few things out today and more coming: The Civil 3D 2005 courseware (AOTC) will be available for purchase this week (from the Autodesk.com store). This includes all the new corridor modeling functionality, etc. We have e-learning available for Civil 3D (but this is still R2004 based). It's still helpful to get you up and running. Note - e-learning is available through subscription center. Curriculum - we've developed curriculum that is to be used by univeristys. It's been updated to R2005, but it's not yet available for general purchase. We're evaluating when/how, etc. We have weekly webcasts that cover different aspects of the product. If you can't make it on the day of the event, you can go to the archives. There are also 3rd party materials that are in phases of development. There are a few that are getting pretty close to having these available. I'll send out a message when these are shipping. One that is available today (R2004 version) is from K-Tek (http://www.k-teksolutions.com/store.php). As far as LDT, we have R2005 versions of the LDT and Civil Design courseware. Hope this helps. Dave S "Rick Graham" wrote in message news:41ab5575$1_3@newsprd01... > Why are there so few 'how-to' books available for the Civil arena? Is it > because: > > 1. Nobody really has time to write one. > 2. They want to keep it a secret (job security)? > 3. They really don't know the program well enough to write one? > > The last 'authoratative' book was written for Land 2i (which is being > discontinued). I would think that with the emergence of Civil3D, that this > kind of book would generate lots of $$$. If people can write books for evey > change of Architectural Desktop version, WHY can't we?? > > Ok, I feel better now! :) > > Rick > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004 > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

My course was taken and we used 2004 civil 3d during the course. I am not going to defend the quality of the book as you are. I found the book to be ok but I personally cannot recommend it and would not over the tutuorials themselves. If you are getting alot out of it that is great. I did not get gain one bit of knowledge out of the book when it was givin to me or my co-workers by our resellers. I do not place much value in books vs hands on learning. As for the KTEK guys knowing this software BEST. That is a bold statement to make...... do you work there. This whole thread is becomming me stating my opinion on books comming out and you defending this one particular book. These are the only responses in this group that you have answered or posted. This book may help alot of people starting out but I believe that the AOTC will be a better book that will be COMPLETE until KTEK bring out a complete book and that is what my orignal response was about. "Jeff" wrote in message news:41acc22f$1_1@newsprd01... > When working with the datasets included with this book, keep in mind you are > using Civil 3D 2005 (I'm assuming) to work with data created in a previous, > "preview release". You may have problems with the styles and objects. I > believe some of the objects and styles have changed between the preview > release and 2005 due to additional object and/or labeling functionality in > the later release. If you are experiencing problems with the datasets, try > using the 2004 version of the product. > > Yes, production of the book *WAS* halted but "stuff happens" like nobody has > ever experienced a product recall due to a manufacturing glitch?. As it was > explained to me, the printing presses were uploaded with the a wrong or > corrupt version of a file and some incorrect information was printed. This > issue, however, was quickly resolved and customers that purchased the > original book were sent replacements. Maybe someone can explain to you why > you didn't get a replacement? The origianl CD contained all the correct > datasets and was not sent with the replacement books. I.e., if you recieved > a replacement book, you didn't get a replacement CD too. BTW, the number of > books shipped before the production halt was minimal... I think I heard less > than 30. > > I think the book will have value for quite some time because styles and > settings are such an major part of Civil 3D and people need to learn the > basics first. Creating a horizontal alignment is simple... getting labeled > and appearing like you want requires knowledge of styles. If companies > decide to use this product (Civil 3D) out-of-the-box without knowing > anything about styles, they will probably think this is a horrible product > and abandon all efforts to try implementing it. I'm not sure what you mean > by not having value for design but I'm guessing you'r referring to the > missing and/or changed features? Products evolve, features get discontinued, > and new objects get added when a new version ships. What can you do? > > "...the greatest asset to learning is those that are using the software and > able to share there knowledge with others". I couldn't agree more! The > authors know Civil 3D inside and out and, except for the Autodesk > develoment team, these KTEK guys know the product best. > > For the price, I think this book packs a lot of value. Is your reseller > going to give you all the information in the book for $100? Sit down, read > the book for an hour... you just recieved the same amount of knowledge > (probably more) a typical reseller will give you for $100. > > Jeff > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > news:41acaec3$1_1@newsprd01... > > Just got off the phone with my reseller and they told me the book was > > pulled > > from production to correct all the errors and missing data in the data > > sets > > and has since been republished. You probably have a newer book than me. > > > > If that is the case then the book would have some value for those wishing > > to > > understand setting and styles but not design. My suggestion is to go > > through > > the tutorials and use these newsgroups when you have questions. I have > > alwasy found that the greatest asset to learning is those that are using > > the > > software and able to share there knowledge with others. > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > news:41acaa8f_3@newsprd01... > >> I can try to find the information in the data sets that I am refering to > > and > >> get back to you if you wish. That book was provided to a class of > >> students > >> during a hands on training seminar. The class contained 10 students and > > all > >> of the students had trouble with the book. There is a chance that you > >> have > > a > >> new release. I was vaque because I did not wish to name the book on this > >> group. That is why I said I would provide a private email. If the book > > works > >> for you great. It did not for myself or the other 9 students it the > >> class. > >> The instructor who also put the cours on was also so frustrated with the > >> book. Oh and just to let you know....as for being adopted as a means of > >> learning the softare. The book has been pulled from prodution. At least > > that > >> is what my software provider has told me. I will post the missing data > > sets > >> as per the book either today or tomorrow and you can let me know if your > > cd > >> has them. > >> > >> > >> "Jeff" wrote in message news:41aca626$1_1@newsprd01... > >> > Landman, > >> > > >> > Your comments seem rather vaque... "Information missing in the project > >> data > >> > set and not done very well". Perhaps you could be a bit more specific? > > I'm > >> > assuming you're refering to "Introducing Autodesk Civil 3D" (KTEK) > >> > since > >> > that is the only Civil 3D book available. > >> > > >> > We have several copies of the book and are very happy with it and the > > data > >> > sets provided! The book states it is based on the 2004 "Preview > >> > version" > >> of > >> > the product. If you're using the book with 2005, the version that > > shipped > >> in > >> > October '04, you are using an older book with a newer product which is > >> akin > >> > to using using a AutoCAD 2000 book with AutoCAD 2002 Some of the > > material > >> is > >> > still useful but some has probably changed. I know corridor modeling is > >> not > >> > included in the book... I can live with that. IMO, we as adopters of > > this > >> > new technology, need to walk before we can run. Use the book to learn > > the > >> > basics such as point management, surface creation, labeling, etc. and > > wait > >> > for a book covering corridor modeling to ship at a later date. > >> > > >> > Since the authors are not Autodesk, how can they reasonably predict the > >> > future of this software? They took a chance writing a book on a preview > >> > release of the software. Based on what I have heard, excluding your > > post, > >> > the book is well written and is being adopted as a means to learning > > this > >> > software. > >> > > >> > Jeff > >> > > >> > > >> > "Landman" wrote in message > >> > news:41ab5ca7_3@newsprd01... > >> > >I beleive the answer to your questions as to why no books have come > >> > >out > >> > > since 2i is becuase up to this point the software has been going > > through > >> > > an > >> > > minor evolution with each release and no new books have really been > >> > > necessary. With civil 3d however it is kind of a revolution in > > software > >> > > (sounds kind of lame but I beleive it to be true). I do beleive we > > will > >> > > see > >> > > books about civil 3d soon. There has already been one released but I > >> would > >> > > advise you to stay away from it as it was written prior to the full > >> > > product > >> > > release and was not done very well at all. Information missing in the > >> > > project data set and oversights in the book itself. I will not post > > the > >> > > name > >> > > of the book on the newsgroup but if you wish I will provide the name > > to > >> > > you > >> > > personally. There is a AOTC (Authorized Official Training Courseware) > >> book > >> > > in the works (at least that is what my re-seller tells me) and it > > should > >> > > be > >> > > out soon. > >> > > > >> > > "Rick Graham" wrote in message > >> > > news:41ab5575$1_3@newsprd01... > >> > >> Why are there so few 'how-to' books available for the Civil arena? > >> > >> Is > >> it > >> > >> because: > >> > >> > >> > >> 1. Nobody really has time to write one. > >> > >> 2. They want to keep it a secret (job security)? > >> > >> 3. They really don't know the program well enough to write one? > >> > >> > >> > >> The last 'authoratative' book was written for Land 2i (which is > >> > >> being > >> > >> discontinued). I would think that with the emergence of Civil3D, > >> > >> that > >> > >> this > >> > >> kind of book would generate lots of $$$. If people can write books > > for > >> > > evey > >> > >> change of Architectural Desktop version, WHY can't we?? > >> > >> > >> > >> Ok, I feel better now! :) > >> > >> > >> > >> Rick > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> --- > >> > >> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > >> > >> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > >> > >> Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004 > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> > > > > > >
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Dave. Sounds like you guys are really on the ball with this product. It is also great to see how many upgrades have made it into the final release. Robert Howell "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:41acc7ed$1_3@newsprd01... > > Hi all - there are actually a few things out today and more coming: > > The Civil 3D 2005 courseware (AOTC) will be available for purchase this week > (from the Autodesk.com store). This includes all the new corridor modeling > functionality, etc. > > We have e-learning available for Civil 3D (but this is still R2004 based). > It's still helpful to get you up and running. Note - e-learning is available > through subscription center. > > Curriculum - we've developed curriculum that is to be used by univeristys. > It's been updated to R2005, but it's not yet available for general purchase. > We're evaluating when/how, etc. > > We have weekly webcasts that cover different aspects of the product. If you > can't make it on the day of the event, you can go to the archives. > > There are also 3rd party materials that are in phases of development. There > are a few that are getting pretty close to having these available. I'll send > out a message when these are shipping. One that is available today (R2004 > version) is from K-Tek (http://www.k-teksolutions.com/store.php). > > As far as LDT, we have R2005 versions of the LDT and Civil Design > courseware. > > Hope this helps. > > Dave S > > > > "Rick Graham" wrote in message > news:41ab5575$1_3@newsprd01... > > Why are there so few 'how-to' books available for the Civil arena? Is it > > because: > > > > 1. Nobody really has time to write one. > > 2. They want to keep it a secret (job security)? > > 3. They really don't know the program well enough to write one? > > > > The last 'authoratative' book was written for Land 2i (which is being > > discontinued). I would think that with the emergence of Civil3D, that this > > kind of book would generate lots of $$$. If people can write books for > evey > > change of Architectural Desktop version, WHY can't we?? > > > > Ok, I feel better now! :) > > > > Rick > > > > > > --- > > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > > Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004 > > > > > >
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

First of all, this "one particular book" is currently the only book on the market and I have been through it a few times. Second, it was your response to the original post that necessitated my response. You gave a negative review of a product I find useful. It's important for other users to get another point of view. Even when you provided "details" of why you didn't like the book, your arguments were weak at best. I would "defend the quality" of AutoCAD, Civil 3D or any other product I use. Do I work for KTEK? Nope, just a happy customer that knows their capabilities and what they have done for other companies. Just because I chose to enlighten you about the product and correct your misinformation does not mean any more than just that. Maybe you work for company that has a competing product? Perhaps you write the AOTC stuff? Jeff "Landman" wrote in message news:41acc992_2@newsprd01... > My course was taken and we used 2004 civil 3d during the course. I am not > going to defend the quality of the book as you are. I found the book to be > ok but I personally cannot recommend it and would not over the tutuorials > themselves. If you are getting alot out of it that is great. I did not get > gain one bit of knowledge out of the book when it was givin to me or my > co-workers by our resellers. I do not place much value in books vs hands > on > learning. As for the KTEK guys knowing this software BEST. That is a bold > statement to make...... do you work there. > > This whole thread is becomming me stating my opinion on books comming out > and you defending this one particular book. These are the only responses > in > this group that you have answered or posted. > > This book may help alot of people starting out but I believe that the AOTC > will be a better book that will be COMPLETE until KTEK bring out a > complete > book and that is what my orignal response was about. > > > > "Jeff" wrote in message news:41acc22f$1_1@newsprd01... >> When working with the datasets included with this book, keep in mind you > are >> using Civil 3D 2005 (I'm assuming) to work with data created in a > previous, >> "preview release". You may have problems with the styles and objects. I >> believe some of the objects and styles have changed between the preview >> release and 2005 due to additional object and/or labeling functionality >> in >> the later release. If you are experiencing problems with the datasets, >> try >> using the 2004 version of the product. >> >> Yes, production of the book *WAS* halted but "stuff happens" like nobody > has >> ever experienced a product recall due to a manufacturing glitch?. As it > was >> explained to me, the printing presses were uploaded with the a wrong or >> corrupt version of a file and some incorrect information was printed. >> This >> issue, however, was quickly resolved and customers that purchased the >> original book were sent replacements. Maybe someone can explain to you >> why >> you didn't get a replacement? The origianl CD contained all the correct >> datasets and was not sent with the replacement books. I.e., if you > recieved >> a replacement book, you didn't get a replacement CD too. BTW, the number > of >> books shipped before the production halt was minimal... I think I heard > less >> than 30. >> >> I think the book will have value for quite some time because styles and >> settings are such an major part of Civil 3D and people need to learn the >> basics first. Creating a horizontal alignment is simple... getting >> labeled >> and appearing like you want requires knowledge of styles. If companies >> decide to use this product (Civil 3D) out-of-the-box without knowing >> anything about styles, they will probably think this is a horrible >> product >> and abandon all efforts to try implementing it. I'm not sure what you >> mean >> by not having value for design but I'm guessing you'r referring to the >> missing and/or changed features? Products evolve, features get > discontinued, >> and new objects get added when a new version ships. What can you do? >> >> "...the greatest asset to learning is those that are using the software > and >> able to share there knowledge with others". I couldn't agree more! The >> authors know Civil 3D inside and out and, except for the Autodesk >> develoment team, these KTEK guys know the product best. >> >> For the price, I think this book packs a lot of value. Is your reseller >> going to give you all the information in the book for $100? Sit down, >> read >> the book for an hour... you just recieved the same amount of knowledge >> (probably more) a typical reseller will give you for $100. >> >> Jeff >> >> >> >> >> "Landman" wrote in message >> news:41acaec3$1_1@newsprd01... >> > Just got off the phone with my reseller and they told me the book was >> > pulled >> > from production to correct all the errors and missing data in the data >> > sets >> > and has since been republished. You probably have a newer book than me. >> > >> > If that is the case then the book would have some value for those > wishing >> > to >> > understand setting and styles but not design. My suggestion is to go >> > through >> > the tutorials and use these newsgroups when you have questions. I have >> > alwasy found that the greatest asset to learning is those that are >> > using >> > the >> > software and able to share there knowledge with others. >> > >> > >> > "Landman" wrote in message >> > news:41acaa8f_3@newsprd01... >> >> I can try to find the information in the data sets that I am refering > to >> > and >> >> get back to you if you wish. That book was provided to a class of >> >> students >> >> during a hands on training seminar. The class contained 10 students >> >> and >> > all >> >> of the students had trouble with the book. There is a chance that you >> >> have >> > a >> >> new release. I was vaque because I did not wish to name the book on > this >> >> group. That is why I said I would provide a private email. If the book >> > works >> >> for you great. It did not for myself or the other 9 students it the >> >> class. >> >> The instructor who also put the cours on was also so frustrated with > the >> >> book. Oh and just to let you know....as for being adopted as a means >> >> of >> >> learning the softare. The book has been pulled from prodution. At >> >> least >> > that >> >> is what my software provider has told me. I will post the missing data >> > sets >> >> as per the book either today or tomorrow and you can let me know if > your >> > cd >> >> has them. >> >> >> >> >> >> "Jeff" wrote in message > news:41aca626$1_1@newsprd01... >> >> > Landman, >> >> > >> >> > Your comments seem rather vaque... "Information missing in the > project >> >> data >> >> > set and not done very well". Perhaps you could be a bit more > specific? >> > I'm >> >> > assuming you're refering to "Introducing Autodesk Civil 3D" (KTEK) >> >> > since >> >> > that is the only Civil 3D book available. >> >> > >> >> > We have several copies of the book and are very happy with it and >> >> > the >> > data >> >> > sets provided! The book states it is based on the 2004 "Preview >> >> > version" >> >> of >> >> > the product. If you're using the book with 2005, the version that >> > shipped >> >> in >> >> > October '04, you are using an older book with a newer product which > is >> >> akin >> >> > to using using a AutoCAD 2000 book with AutoCAD 2002 Some of the >> > material >> >> is >> >> > still useful but some has probably changed. I know corridor modeling > is >> >> not >> >> > included in the book... I can live with that. IMO, we as adopters of >> > this >> >> > new technology, need to walk before we can run. Use the book to >> >> > learn >> > the >> >> > basics such as point management, surface creation, labeling, etc. >> >> > and >> > wait >> >> > for a book covering corridor modeling to ship at a later date. >> >> > >> >> > Since the authors are not Autodesk, how can they reasonably predict > the >> >> > future of this software? They took a chance writing a book on a > preview >> >> > release of the software. Based on what I have heard, excluding your >> > post, >> >> > the book is well written and is being adopted as a means to learning >> > this >> >> > software. >> >> > >> >> > Jeff >> >> > >> >> > >> >> > "Landman" wrote in message >> >> > news:41ab5ca7_3@newsprd01... >> >> > >I beleive the answer to your questions as to why no books have come >> >> > >out >> >> > > since 2i is becuase up to this point the software has been going >> > through >> >> > > an >> >> > > minor evolution with each release and no new books have really >> >> > > been >> >> > > necessary. With civil 3d however it is kind of a revolution in >> > software >> >> > > (sounds kind of lame but I beleive it to be true). I do beleive we >> > will >> >> > > see >> >> > > books about civil 3d soon. There has already been one released but > I >> >> would >> >> > > advise you to stay away from it as it was written prior to the >> >> > > full >> >> > > product >> >> > > release and was not done very well at all. Information missing in > the >> >> > > project data set and oversights in the book itself. I will not >> >> > > post >> > the >> >> > > name >> >> > > of the book on the newsgroup but if you wish I will provide the > name >> > to >> >> > > you >> >> > > personally. There is a AOTC (Authorized Official Training > Courseware) >> >> book >> >> > > in the works (at least that is what my re-seller tells me) and it >> > should >> >> > > be >> >> > > out soon. >> >> > > >> >> > > "Rick Graham" wrote in message >> >> > > news:41ab5575$1_3@newsprd01... >> >> > >> Why are there so few 'how-to' books available for the Civil >> >> > >> arena? >> >> > >> Is >> >> it >> >> > >> because: >> >> > >> >> >> > >> 1. Nobody really has time to write one. >> >> > >> 2. They want to keep it a secret (job security)? >> >> > >> 3. They really don't know the program well enough to write one? >> >> > >> >> >> > >> The last 'authoratative' book was written for Land 2i (which is >> >> > >> being >> >> > >> discontinued). I would think that with the emergence of Civil3D, >> >> > >> that >> >> > >> this >> >> > >> kind of book would generate lots of $$$. If people can write >> >> > >> books >> > for >> >> > > evey >> >> > >> change of Architectural Desktop version, WHY can't we?? >> >> > >> >> >> > >> Ok, I feel better now! :) >> >> > >> >> >> > >> Rick >> >> > >> >> >> > >> >> >> > >> --- >> >> > >> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >> >> > >> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >> >> > >> Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004 >> >> > >> >> >> > >> >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > >> >> > >> >> >> >> >> > >> > >> >> > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report