Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURVEY DATABASE-RENUMBER POINTS

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
CADEngr2014
1443 Views, 6 Replies

SURVEY DATABASE-RENUMBER POINTS

Hello,

I am somewhat new to the survey database concepts.  My workflow is to open database for editing, in toolspace "Survey" tab, select Survey Points, right click on points in toolspace view, select points->unlock points in drawing->select edit points.  Yet , I am unable to edit the point number.  Is there a way to renumber a point in a survey database or could I be missing something?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: CADEngr2014

I've had problems myself editing the point #'s when they are imported through a survey data base. The only way to change the point # on a point or points is to change it through the point file that the survey data base is referenced to.
Here's an example.
When you open the survey data base:
1. Look under the import events which should have the name of the point file.
2. Go to the Prospector Tab, and under point groups that point file should be listed as a point group.
3. right click on that point group and select export points. Make sure you choose the right format and location where to put it. Open that new point file and make changes to it. you can change the point numbers, elevations etc. Its good to do it this way so you don't mess with the original data in case you need to go back to it. Create an extra point file just in case.
4. go back to Survey Tab. Under Import events, Right click on txt file and delete. Then Right click on import events again and import survey data and select the new point file you made edits to. If you need to change more data, just open that same point group text file you just imported and edit. then go back to import events, right click on txt file and select re-import.

That's the way I edit points through a survey data base.

Message 3 of 7
_Hathaway

You cant. You must edit the original import data. EJ indicates a method to accomplish this....but in reality all point numbers need to be controlled, not simply editing in original file. I.E, If you renumber point 45022 to 45023...but your survey crew left off the previous days work with 45022...now you have to renumber 45023 again. If that makes sense? If I have to renumber due to overlaps I usually make the renumbered point in a point range that we don't use.
Message 4 of 7
rl_jackson

Go to the SDB select survey points right click and unlock. Then go to point in prospector. Right click and select them. Then hit renumber on ribbon. Re import if needed

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
_Hathaway
in reply to: rl_jackson

RL - that doesn't change your survey database. That only changes the point number in your drawing which really only adds to confusion down the line.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Yeah the only problem you have to worry about is the numbering and not have duplicate #'s. Just like Mike said.
Message 7 of 7
rl_jackson

Generally I will reimport the data at that point. I do 99% of my edits to the point file so in general a reimport doesn't affect me. The way I see it if someone imports my data it should come in as expected

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report