Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURFACE: points and labels invisible

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
mcloughlin
2377 Views, 14 Replies

SURFACE: points and labels invisible

In Civil 3D2014, created a surface. Nice topo contours appeared, but points and their labels are invisible (see appended image)! Point and label styles are the normal styles we use, surface style is the normal style we use (both of which produce visible results in other instances).

What could be hiding the points?

Thanks!

TOPO missing points in surface 17 Apr 2014.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rkmcswain
in reply to: mcloughlin

When you say "points and labels", are you talking about Cogo Points, surface points, spot labels, contour labels, something else?

Probably some combination of the object layer or layer inside the style being frozen, and/or the entity inside the style being turned off.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 15
Pointdump

McL,

I can think of a half-dozen things. Post your drawing so we can have a look-see.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 15
mcloughlin
in reply to: Pointdump

Responding to Pointdump, I've tried twice to attach the drawing, but sending fails.  It is a large drawing (112 MB), and data are derived from a PNEZD point file.  Perhaps it is too large to attach?  Can I send any other information?  

Message 5 of 15
sboon

The most common reasons for points to not display:

• Any layers frozen or off?
  • Point styles set to not display?  It appears that you're looking at the drawing in plan view but if you've changed the viewpoint then the points may switch to their model display settings.
  • Any point groups set to no display styles?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 15
Pointdump

McL,

I don't know what the file size limit is on this forum. I'll investigate Google Drive and Dropbox today. I've been wanting to check them out.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 15
rkmcswain
in reply to: Pointdump

Pointdump wrote:

McL, I don't know what the file size limit is on this forum.

Take a look: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/FAQ-How-To-Using-Autodesk/Attachments-size-and-allowable-file-types/td...

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 15
Pointdump
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks RK! Now I know. I did a search, but I didn't find that one.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 9 of 15
mcloughlin
in reply to: sboon

Only one point group thus far, set to the standard point and label styles, which should be visible.  The view is plan.  

Message 10 of 15
Jeff_M

@mcloughlin wrote:

...data are derived from a PNEZD point file. 

Were Cogo Points created from this file or was it used strictly for building the surface? If the latter, the points will not show up in the 'normal' fashion.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 15
mcloughlin
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff M asks: "Were Cogo Points created from this file or was it used strictly for building the surface? If the latter, the points will not show up in the 'normal' fashion."

You have me even more stumped, then.  The subject surface was built in accordance with the instructions provided by Civil 3D tutorial Exercise 2, Adding Point Data to a Surface, i.e., importing a point file to build a surface. In said instructions (image appended) the points are claimed to appear as a reasonable person might expect that they would.  .

As for COGO points, investigation of the "help" feature offered me no information on creating COGO points from a point text file.  Having recently graduated from LDD, in which all points imported from point text files were COGO points, I'm having difficulty understanding the difference.  What sort of points ARE these that I have imported, if they're not COGO points?  

Thanks for the effort, though. 

Adding Point Data to a Surface.jpg

Message 12 of 15
Pointdump

McL,

This is what Jeff meant:

Points.png

I just did the Tutorial, and that point file will make a surface, but not COGO Points. Subtle distinction. You'll have to import those points thusly:

Points2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 13 of 15
mcloughlin

Jeff M asked:

“Were Cogo Points created from this file or was it used strictly for building the surface? If the latter, the points will not show up in the 'normal' fashion.” 

Responding to Jeff M, the subject surface was built in accordance with the instructions provided by Civil 3D tutorial, i.e., importing a point file to build a surface. In said instructions (image appended) the points are claimed to appear.

Investigation of the "help" feature offered me no information on creating COGO points from this point file.  Having recently graduated from LDD, in which all points imported from point text files were COGO points, I'm having difficulty understanding the difference.  

Adding Point Data to a Surface.jpg

Message 14 of 15
Jeff_M

When you import a point file for a surface C3D does not create cogo points in the drawing. It merely uses the data from the file to create the surface. The points you see in the help file are the surface points whose visibility is controlled by the Surface style's Point display settings. Note that ONLY the point marker (essentially and AutoCAD point node) is displayed, not any data. This is to cut down on dwg overhead that actually having the cogo points in the dwg would create.

To actually import the points as cogo points use the Import option on the Create points palette. This help video shows msot of the steps, just substitute your PNEZD file for the database:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015...

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 15 of 15
mcloughlin

Dave and Jeff M saved me bacon.  TWO varieties of point entities, instead of mere plain old COGO points!  Aint simplification grand!  

The drawing works fine now, and many thanks to all who responded. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report