Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURFACE CONTOUR PROBLEM

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jhughes
438 Views, 7 Replies

SURFACE CONTOUR PROBLEM

PLEASE HELP.  I EXTRACTED  THE ROAD CONTOURS FROM CORRIDOR SURFACE ( ONLY 2' CONTOURS ) I THEN ADDED THESE 2' CONTOURS BACK TO MY PROPOSED SURFACE.  NOW THE MODEL HAS INTERPOLATED THE 1' CONTOURS ALL CRAZY AND MY PROFILE IS ALL BUMPY.  ANY IDEAS FOR ME?  THANKS!CONTOUR PROBLEM.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jeff_rivers
in reply to: jhughes

It's not clear what you're trying to do.  How did you make your 'Proposed surface' ? 

Typically the workflow is to create a corridor surface, then create a new surface called Finish Ground.  The FG surface is empty.  Now paste EG into the FG surface and then paste the corridor surface into FG. 

That keeps the different surfaces from negatively affecting each other.  You can update the corridor surface all you want and it will be reflected in the FG surface. 

Do you have another surface that you are trying to also show in your FG surface?  Is that why you are trying to extract and re-insert your corridor surface contours? 

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 3 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Turn the corridor off in the surface definitions. It sounds like you are done with it.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 8
jhughes
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I dont have the corridor in my surface.  i extracted the contours and added them to finished surface.  i need to figure out how to incorporated the corridor surface into my finished surface.

Message 5 of 8
jhughes
in reply to: jeff_rivers

I have a large site.  I did a mass grading plan across site.  then created corridor for road, extracted contours, and hand seamed the contours together with mass grading contours.  then I added these "seamed" contours to finished ground surface.  is this not correct workflow? Where are these crazy 1' contours coming from? i only want / need the 2' contours.  how can I make the model forget about the 1' contours all together?  i know how to display only 2' contours but it still represents them in the model. thanks!

Message 6 of 8
KirkNoonan

Using contours to create a surface is arguably the most inefficient method. Instead of adding the contours into your proposed surface, paste the corridor surface into your proposed surface (right click on 'edits' under the surface definition in the prospector. That way it will also stay dynamic when you modify your corridor.

Message 7 of 8
JeffPaulsen

I agree with the other posts here. You should be pasting your corridor surface into you FG surface.

The reason the surface created from contours did not work as expected is because there are no breaklines at the edge of pavement, top of slope, bottom of the ditch, etc.

Another viable option would be to create feature lines from the corridor and define them as breaklines in your FG surface. This would give you the results you want in your surface but it requires more steps and takes more time.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 8 of 8
jhughes
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

THANKS!!! It works beautifully now!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report