Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRING TWO CODES

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
allanbsteven
896 Views, 30 Replies

STRING TWO CODES

Hi There,

Can this be done? We survey windows  Hood and Sill Levels, Codes HL and SL. Would it be possible to have these two codes string from one to the other in Civil3d?

Thanks.

Allan

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: allanbsteven

At its most basic Import your survey data into a survey database.

- Make sure that in your survey user settings "process linework during import' is checked.

Then you have two options for generating the linework.

1. In your Linework Code Set check "Automatic begin in figure prefix match" and then in your figure prefix database inclulde the codes HL and SL.

or 2. Check what the Begin code is in the Linework Code Set and then code the first point on each line with its code suffixed with the Begin code, eg. "HL B". Make sure "Automatic begin in figure prefix match" is unchecked.

To have the lines with specific appearances and layers etc do some research on setting up description keys, figure prefix database and point and figure styles.

Regards

Message 3 of 31
allanbsteven

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried this but still cant get HL to string to SL?

I followed both options but no luck.

Thanks

Allan

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous

Sorry I misunderstood your question.

To get the hood to meet the sill you need to double code some points.

eg if you code point numbers like this.

1000 SL B HL B

1001 HL

1002 HL

1003 SL HL

this would generate a sill fgure between points 1001 and 1003, and a hood line from 1000 through 1001,1002 to 1003.

Regards

Message 5 of 31
allanbsteven

OK i think i understand.

I will create codes e.g. 

SL HL double code

HL single code

in the description key editor and add these to the figure prefix database.

They should then string.

SEE ATTACHED FILE FOR SAMPLE CODE.

Thanks for your help tis is doing my head in.

Cheers

Allan

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous

Hope I'm understanding you properly again.

You only need two codes in the Description Key Set and Figure Prefix Database.

HL

SL

You are able to use multiple codes on any one point as long as they are separated by a space. Multiple figures will be strung between points with multiple codes, but the Description Key Set is only applied to the first code on the point (the zero-ith parameter).

Message 7 of 31
allanbsteven
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't suppose you have an example?

Thanks

Allan

Message 8 of 31
IanMcClain

Allan,

Can you elaborate a little more on what you are trying to accomplish? What do you mean by string two codes together?

Ian McClain
Message 9 of 31
doni49
in reply to: IanMcClain

Is this what you are looking to do?  If there are three shots, have it draw two lines:  one for HL and one for SL?

PtCoding.png

You need a feature code for HL and another for SL.  Then have the two points on the left in this image assigned the RAW DESCRIPTION of SL & HL and the pt on the right needs a raw description of HL SL (note the space between them).

C3D will recognize that this point is associated with two different features.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 10 of 31
allanbsteven

Thanks for that. I will give it a go. I was trying to only  string HL to SL.

Cheers

Allan

Message 11 of 31
allanbsteven
in reply to: doni49

Hi Don,

I know its been a while but I am still trying to get this to work. I only want to string two codes. HL to SL.

Is there a way of you know?

Cheers

Allan

Not...  HL TO HL SL TO SL

Message 12 of 31
doni49

You want to connect SL to HL,  not HL to HL  & not SL to SL?  No I can't think of a way to do that automatically.  What exactly do you need to do this for?  Maybe someone can come up with another solution.

I will be out of the office tomorrow for a training session so I will not be able to respond.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 13 of 31
allanbsteven

Thanks Don.

We want to string windows diagonally .

HL=hood level  to SL = sill level.

Have no idea how this can be achieved......

Cheers

Allan

Message 14 of 31
doni49

So each window has two shots, HL & SL?  And you want ONE LINE per window to connect each of these shots?

Shoot window one as HSL1 Hood and HSL1 Sill.  Window two would be shot as HSL2 Hood and HSL2 Sill  Then have your feature code identify HSL* as a window.  It can take the Hood or Sill part as a descriptor (similar to the way you might shoot a TREE and pass info as to the trunk size.

This way you'll get one line between the shots for each window and the point will still ID whether it's the hood or sill.

BTW -- what's the hood?  That's a term I've never heard of as it relates to a window.

Don Ireland

Message 15 of 31
allanthebruce

I'll check that out. Many thanks
Message 16 of 31
allanthebruce

Hood refers to the top of window, Maybe an Australian Term.
One other thing...Should the Figure prefix in the survey tab have HSL* added for the string?
Cheers
Allan
Message 17 of 31
Anonymous

Don described one method that will work quite well. Only one downside I can see (and may not be an issue for you) is that both hood and sills would have to end up on the same layer.

An alternative if you need the points on separtate layers is to have two description keys - HL and SL.

Code points as follows 'to string windows diagonally';

HL B - first point at top left.

SL HL - second point at bottom right

HL B - third point at top right

SL HL - fourth point at bottom left.

Your format for the full description should be:

- either $0 to label either HL or SL

- or 'Hood' or 'Sill' respectively.

Cheers

Message 18 of 31
allanthebruce
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Caleb,
I can't get Dons method to string when we code a normal string, say concrete we code it
CON 1 CON 1 CON1
CON 2 CON 2
We space our code, would it be better to not?
Thanks
Allan
Message 19 of 31
doni49
in reply to: allanthebruce

1. If your shot has a raw description of CON 1 CON 1 CON 1, I don't know what it's going to do because you've basically told it three features of the same name CON.
  2. If you want the codes to create SEPARATE numbered features, then they need to have the number immediately following the code.  So if you have two shots with raw code CON1 & two shots with raw code CON2 will create two separate features CON1 and CON2.  But if those shots have raw codes CON 1 and CON 2, you'll have ONE feature CON.

Don Ireland

Message 20 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: allanthebruce

If you want two separtate figures CON1 and CON2 you should not have a space, ie 'CON 1', or it will join all the CON points together.

It appears that both you and Don do not use a linework code to begin figures but must have 'Automatic begin on figure prefix match' checked as Yes in yor linework code set. For this method to create figures you must have the code in your Figure Prefix Database. Do you have HSL or whatever code you are using in your Figure Prefix Database?

Don's method should work fine.

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report