Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSM Filename Field

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
garrettstuart
655 Views, 7 Replies

SSM Filename Field

Hey everyone,

Making a Table of Contents. We have the Sheet Set Manager all set up as usual. The ToC references it and inserts the sheet names as fields, like it's supposed to. All is good.

The problem is that we've gone through the effort of naming our files very specifically in the hopes that we can just insert a field into the Table of Contents that references the filename of a sheet in the Sheet Set, but no such field exists. You can insert the current sheet filename, but that doesn't help. You can insert a hyperlink to another file, but the text the hyperlink displays is independent of the hyperlink itself, as fas as I know, and the default texts shows some syntax from the filepath rather than just the filename (eg "/file.dwg" as opposed to "file"), so it's a bit of work to change. And obvioulsy the big problem is that whenever the filename changes, the field wouldn't look any different topically, defeating the purpose.

Honestly, we can just write the filenames manually, it's not that big of a hassle, but you'd think that of all the unnecessary things AutoCAD lets you do 3 different ways, this would be on the list at least once. Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

4-4-2012_8-46-10_AM.png

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 8
doni49
in reply to: garrettstuart

Welcome to the forum!

This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone creating a Table of Contents complete with filenames (by TOC, I'm guessing you're talking about what we call a Drawing Index at my office).  That's not to say that there's anything wrong with it.

But when Adesk wrote the code for SSM, they obviously never thought about anyone needing to put the filename like that.  Until such time as they do add it (that's IF they add it), I think the best you'll be able to do is find (or write) an add-in.  Such an add-in will need to run everytime SSM opens a dst file and create (or update) a field containing the filename.

I believe it COULD be done but I'm just getting started with using the Autodesk APIs myself so I can't give you any more specifics as to how it would work.

If you're interested in making a run at this yourself, the .net board will be invaluable in your efforts:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/NET/bd-p/152

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 8
doni49
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Todd,

Doesn't that only give the filename of the currently open file?  I don't think that's what OP is after.

EDIT:  I think he's after something like the following

Sheet Number Sheet Name Filename
1 Survey Plan c:\Survey.dwg
2 Site Plan c:\site.dwg
3 Details c:\details.dwg

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: doni49

Ah, I see now...thanks for the clarification @doni49 .  Maybe the OP could use this method, and name the layouts???

4-4-2012_8-46-10_AM.png 

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 8

Addressing both of yall:

Thanks for the help. Yes that only gives the filename of the current file. We already name the layout names as the subsection sheet "numbers".

I've considered adding a custom property to the sheet set manager whose value (on a per sheet basis) is some sort of modified field code, but don't have the time to figure out which snippets of field code correspond to what.

I think I'm just out of luck, every minute spent tinkering is a minute out of production time, and this particular issue doesn't have enough return time. Thanks for the help, I hope Adesk writes it in.

Table of Contents

PS the 2 filenames that are fields in the picture are just me messing with hyperlinks. I didn't actually get it to work.

Message 7 of 8
doni49
in reply to: garrettstuart

garrettstuart wrote: 

I think I'm just out of luck, every minute spent tinkering is a minute out of production time, and this particular issue doesn't have enough return time. Thanks for the help, I hope Adesk writes it in.

Are you on subscription?  If so, you'd be better off opening a ticket instead of hoping the see this.  Although Autodesk employees do (sometimes) visit these forums, they're mostly monitored by volunteers and thus there's a good chance AD will not even see this.

In addition to opening a ticket, Feature requests can be posted at the following address (yes I'd do both if possible).

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 8
garrettstuart
in reply to: doni49

Awesome I will. We just switched to subscription so that's really helpful, thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report