Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAC Codes: Writing up a "How to"

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
doni49
445 Views, 2 Replies

SAC Codes: Writing up a "How to"

I showed my boss the SA that I recently created.  He liked it and wants me to write up a little guide showing what I've learned about using the SAC so far -- I'm the first one in the office that has gone far enough actually try and figure it out.

Following is what I've written to explain how the codes relate to what will end up in C3D.  I'd greatly appreciate it if someone would review/critique it.

TIA!

CODES

When you create a Point, Link or Shape (excluding the Auxiliary types), each of them have a “Code” property. This is the code that will appear within Civil 3D and allow you to create feature lines and shapes.

1. A code entry can actually contain multiple codes as long as they are separated by a comma.
  2. If you create a Point with a code assigned to it, it will appear in Civil 3D as a Featureline between this point in one assembly instance and its corresponding point within the next assembly instance.
  3. If you create a Link with a code assigned to it, it will appear in Civil 3D as a shape in plan view.
    1. The two points within one assembly instance will be connected and will represent one side of a shape.
    2. The two points will be connected to their corresponding points in the next assembly instance to create two more sides of the shape.
    3. And the corresponding points in the next assembly instance will be connected to create the fourth side of the shape.
  4. If you create a Shape with a code assigned to it, it will appear in Civil 3d as a shape in Cross Section view (it will appear much the same as it does in the SAC preview window).
  5. The code(s) must be entered as text strings enclosed in quote marks. If you do not use quote marks, SAC will assume you’re attempting to enter a variable. (The use of a variable here can be an extremely beneficial idea).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: doni49

I'd add that you can view the current Codes by checking the checkbox in the Preview pane. I'd also differentiate between Codes (which are used in Civil 3D) and Comments (which are notes to yourself in SAC). 

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 3 of 3
doni49
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Kati,

Thanks for the advice.  I'll do that.  And sorry for the delayed response.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report