Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating viewport = distorted image

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
MREveretts
3364 Views, 8 Replies

Rotating viewport = distorted image

Help please - Any viewport rotation other than a multiple of 90 results in distorted image.  On the atttached pdf, the top vp is rotated 90 degrees (image looks the same as it does in model space - good), the bottom is rotated 135 (image is very light, almost a negative in places - bad).

I attached the geotiffs in dwg1 using mapinsert with no adjustment other than some fade, and am referencing dwg1 into dwg2.  Plotting from dwg2.

I initially rotated the all the views with alignspace, when I noticed the problem.  I've since tried creating a new vp and just rotating/clipping it, same result.  

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MRE

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jay_B
in reply to: MREveretts

Have you tried the DVIEW command using the TWIST subcommand from within Model Space of the Viewport?
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 9
MREveretts
in reply to: Jay_B

yes, same results Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 9
doni49

What version and can you post your dwg and image files?

Also -- have you tried this with other images just to troubleshoot?

EDIT:  I just tried to reproduce it in C3D 2012 and it seems to have worked fine.  I attached a Google Earth image in modelspace then in the layout, I placed two VPs -- the left one is unrotated and the right one is rotated 45 degrees.  I don't notice any difference.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 9
MREveretts
in reply to: doni49

It only seems to be a problem with 6-inch resolution geotiffs.  County-wide mrsid's rotate fine.  hmmm....  Maybe I can do something with the geotiffs in arcmap?

Here's where I get my aerials  ISDP fort wayne, IN

Thanks for thinking through this with me!

Message 6 of 9
MREveretts

I've gotten around the probelm by creating a new image file from the original 2012 6-inch resolution geotiffs.  I used ArcMap's File>export to get a single new file as a jpg (with world file).  This new file looks fine in a rotated viewport.

Yay for work-arounds!

Message 7 of 9
sdl051

I am also experiencing an error using "alignspace" in C3D 2012 SP2. I have used this command for years rotating/scaling viewports in paperspace for plotting purposes. The command seems to be working normally until the rotation is actually calculated and the VP is redisplayed. The VP rotation is in the same area, but not at all near the rotation reference given.

I have heard of someone else suffering issues with the "align" command in model space as well.

Any idea?

Message 8 of 9
LyleHardin

Interesting. I just ran across this myself. (Well, one or our users). These large 6" resolution tiffs (we get ours from Gateway) are multi layered tif images and when the viewport is rotated, they show up negative through the viewport. I've used Raster Design to save the images as .jpeg to remedy the situation.

Also, thanks for the tip on the ALIGNSPACE command. I never knew about that one!

Message 9 of 9
sfore
in reply to: LyleHardin

Saving images thru Raster as a jpeg worked great. Still don't understand why tiffs behaved that way when viewport has twist, but whatever works. Image still looks as good as when it was a tiff.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report