Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Line and Curve labels C3D 2010

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ryanquigley2390
1709 Views, 8 Replies

Rotate Line and Curve labels C3D 2010

We would like to be able to rotate line and curve labels in Civil 3D 2010.

Some of our drawings get really crowded and we need to slightly rotate the line or curve labels.  This is fine with regular autocad text, but how can we accompllish this with styles and dynamic line/curve labels?  I can't seem to find a way to do this with the grips and setting up new styles with specified rotations isn't an option because we need to be able to fine tune and eyeball the rotation of the label to make it look right.

C3D 2012 SP1
Win 7 64 Enterprise
Intel Xeon 3.07 Ghz 8GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Perhaps you could just use a piece of text? HERE is an example of me labeling the length and bearing of a line using a piece of AutoCAD MTEXT and, yes, if I change the line, the text updates (at least it does after a regen). Unfortunately, those properties aren't revealed to the fields for C3D objects such as feature lines.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 9

Seconded. Now that points have a label rotation, it seems logical to extended the same functionality to line and curve labels.

Edit: I thought this was in the wishlist. It should be, anyway.

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 9
aperrine
in reply to: IanMcClain

As of May 2020, I cannot find a way to rotate a bearing and distance label for a line or curve. Does anyone have a solution?

Message 5 of 9
rl_jackson
in reply to: aperrine

You can't its attached to the line. You can slide it along the line, you can drag it and get an arrow (or not) in drag state but rotate no. I'd ask why would you are you trying too break all the drafting rules of a RIGHT READING.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
ChrisRS
in reply to: rl_jackson

I agree that rotated text for labels that are attached to a line or a curve do not make sense. However, rotation for dragged state labels is perfectly sensible.

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
aperrine
in reply to: ChrisRS

My question was specific to a label in the dragged state. Although, I understand not ideal, sometimes a drawing is very convoluted and rotation would allow the label to fit in a small space, as to not overlap other lines, text, etc.  As mentioned above, this functionality is available on "Note" feature labels but not on "Line and Curve" feature labels. Just looking for a work-around idea.

Message 8 of 9
JEFFJONES8251
in reply to: rl_jackson

Why is a label 17 degrees out of north rotation for reading.  See below

JEFFJONES8251_0-1642541985267.png

Message 9 of 9
IanMcClain
in reply to: JEFFJONES8251

Check the readability bias, found under Edit Label Style...>General tab>Plan Readability.

IanMcClain_0-1642542614856.png

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report