Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Design - Problem getting corridors to function properly.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
mProkz
1030 Views, 25 Replies

Road Design - Problem getting corridors to function properly.

Hello,

This is my fix post in the forums.  I am an engineering student and I am trying design a road for my worksite.  I have stumbled through Civil 3D tutorials and forums to get to the point I'm  at (which is corridor design) and I cannot seem to be able to properly create a corridor that functions.  I have a layout profile, a surface profile. an existing ground surface, an alignment, an assembly, and currently a non-functioning corridor with sample lines attached.  I think my problem has to do with setting correct targets, but my corridor will not cut properly.  It shows that my cut lines are red and the existing ground surface remains over top of my corridor.  The fill seems to work somewhat, but if I could get some advice concerning the overall corridor designing process and some suggestions concerning what I should do, that would be great. Thanks!

mProks

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
ccl_cad_manager
in reply to: mProkz

You've almost got it, and you're starting to think in the right manner.

"the way I hope" is the key phrase.  In this instance, changing your EG might change things and might not, it's the corridor itself where things are not running as expected. 

MikeC

Civil 3D 2015, Win 7 64bit, 16 GB RAM, Dell M4600
''That's the way we've always done it'' is an excuse, not a reason.
Message 22 of 26
mProkz
in reply to: ccl_cad_manager

Everything seems to work fine and dandy up to the point in the surface where the data gets funky in an area that I surveyed that had a set dozers levelling.  The area was not yet completely levelled and the elevations varied significantly as there were large piles and large cuts.  I think this may be the issue because as I make the corridor smaller and add surveying detail, the corridor model looks better.  I have to complete a new topographical survey in the next week or so anyway for the "final" product, therefore the results may turn out better now that the entire area containing the surveying data will be quite levelled. I'm certain there's one small detail I am overlookign as well concernign the actual corridor design.  I will have to keep looking into it.

mProkz

Message 23 of 26
fcernst
in reply to: ccl_cad_manager

"The area was not yet completely levelled and the elevations varied significantly as there were large piles and large cuts. "

Oh, I see things you're thinking about.

Sounds like you are trying to move forward to a final design from some type of conceived overlot grading.

You may want to just go ahead and create that Overlot Grading surface, and use that as your EG for your Final Design corridor.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 24 of 26
mProkz
in reply to: fcernst

Good afternoon!

Well, I spent the entire morning capturing new survey data to create a revised surface, as the area was finished being levelled last weekend.  This needed to be done regardless, but I just now realized that the reason my ditches were ending "randomly" was because...duh duh duh duuuuuuh!...there are no ditches! It's a fill!  I spent way too much time mulling over soemthing so silly.  It's the area where a giant cut transitions into a fill.  Anyhow, the new survey data is pretty and I'm in the process of creating various cut and fill scenarios based on needed criteria.  Thanks for the help everyone!  Any last words would be appreciated!

mProkz

Message 25 of 26
fcernst

You have to examine and take each of your ditch situations further to see if they really work for drainage. Right now you just have them stopping randomly at some section that is simply a function of your corridor frequency setting, correct?

Does the business end of the ditch daylight and drain properly? Or, is it buried into a wall of dirt... Is it hanging up in the air?

Also, start to think about where on an Assembly you think is a good place to have a Cut/Fill test point for ditch work.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 26 of 26
civil_tech3

Easiest way to create/maintain ditches is to use the generic tab and piece them together the way you want them. That way you can manipulate them or sections individually if needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report