Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Design - Problem getting corridors to function properly.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
1038 Views, 25 Replies

Road Design - Problem getting corridors to function properly.

Hello,

This is my fix post in the forums.  I am an engineering student and I am trying design a road for my worksite.  I have stumbled through Civil 3D tutorials and forums to get to the point I'm  at (which is corridor design) and I cannot seem to be able to properly create a corridor that functions.  I have a layout profile, a surface profile. an existing ground surface, an alignment, an assembly, and currently a non-functioning corridor with sample lines attached.  I think my problem has to do with setting correct targets, but my corridor will not cut properly.  It shows that my cut lines are red and the existing ground surface remains over top of my corridor.  The fill seems to work somewhat, but if I could get some advice concerning the overall corridor designing process and some suggestions concerning what I should do, that would be great. Thanks!

mProks

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

Hard to tell what the issue is without seeing some data. What is your assembly madeup of? What do you think it should be targeting besides EG?

If you can post the drawing or part of it - someone may be better able to advise.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Civil3D3.pngCivil3D4.pngCivil3D5.pngCivil3D1.png

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous

Sorry for having to post the picture as pasted instead of attachments.  For some reason it would not allow me to attach anything to the message.  I only need the corridor to attach to the EG but as you can see, the BasicSideSlopeCutDitch doesn't seem to be working.  This is most likely due to me using the wrong parameters but I'm not expert, so I'm not sure.  Also, my assembly is made up of two LaneSuperelevationAOR and BasicSideSlopeCutDitch subassemblies.  My ultimate goal is to form a group of section views and to perform cut/fill and volume analysis with the model.  Thanks!

mProkz

Message 5 of 26
Joe-Bouza

I am not sure I see anything wrong or unusual with yur images. The daylight lines look correct, your layour profile looks legitamate, and your assembly looks straight forward. Let me see a section view that concerns you.
Int the second image is the grey the corridor and the cyan the EG?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Yes, grey is the corridor and cyan is the EG. I attempted to use Compute Materials but the Volume Table kept showing 0 for everything. I created two additional corridor surfaces for Corridor Top and Corridor Datum (following a tutorial), but when I go to Quantity Takeoff Criteria: Earthwork, it doesn't allow me to select any surfaces but the EG.  I need to be able to select the datum surface but it doesnt appear there.  Also, is there a way to cut and fill the corridor so it actually shows the corridor in its entirety so that the EG doesnt cover it?

Civil3D6.png

Message 7 of 26
owensharp

Make sure you are sampling your additional surfaces with your sample lines. They will show up in your Compute Materials once they are sampled.

Civil 3d 2022.1 Update 64 bit Windows 10 Enterprise Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2687W v3 3.1GHz 4 Core 30GB RAM
Message 8 of 26
ccl_cad_manager
in reply to: owensharp

What you're seeing is your existing and proposed surfaces at the same time.  In order to see the "final" surface:

Make a copy of your Existing and name it "Final"
Paste your Corridor surface on to Final.

When you do a 3D view of just the final surface, it will look the way you intend.  

MikeC

Civil 3D 2015, Win 7 64bit, 16 GB RAM, Dell M4600
''That's the way we've always done it'' is an excuse, not a reason.
Message 9 of 26

For the final surface, another solution for 2014 is to make the new surface as suggested and paste EG into it. Then add a hide boundary to that new surface and use the "surface" option and pick the corridor surface. This will cut a hole in the new surface that is the size of the corridor surface. The hole will update when the corridor surface is modified. This allows a display of the existing surface and the new surface with different styles (grey for existing, colored for new).

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: ccl_cad_manager

I created a new surface and pasted my EG and my corridor top surface into that "final surface".  It works, but now I need to solve the problem of my sub-assemblies that randomly end.  The BasicSideSlopeCutDitch pieces are the ones that seem to be going great to a certain station but then they end and it starts looking wonky.  Thank you for the help up to this point, I have learned a lot already just from this post!  I appreciate the help!

mProks

Civil3D7.png

Message 11 of 26
ccl_cad_manager

The apparent randomness of the ending of the assemblies has to do with the conditional assembly that you're using.  It has a cut component and a fill component.  The Cut component is significatly wider than your fill, and too wide for the areas of tansition.  C3D can't maintain the ditch when the daylight gets too close to the assembly. 

At this point I usually just finish off the surface with feature lines, but I'm sure some of the other guys here have a really cool solution for you.

MikeC

Civil 3D 2015, Win 7 64bit, 16 GB RAM, Dell M4600
''That's the way we've always done it'' is an excuse, not a reason.
Message 12 of 26
fcernst

...It works, but now I need to solve the problem of my sub-assemblies that randomly end...

The Cut or Fill test point for the subassembly you are using is located at its attachment point. At every Section in your Corridor this point is tested to see if it is in Cut or Fill.

If it is in Cut a Ditch is created, if it is in Fill, just a fill slope is created.

Looking at the Case 1 and Case 2 figures below, do you understand how your Corridor is reacting to these conditions at every Section? 

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 13 of 26
kaiknux
in reply to: fcernst

Great topic. This forum is just getting better. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: kaiknux

Good afternoon everyone,

I have completed my road design (minus the sub-assemblies that randomly end) and I have created a volume table for it.  I would like to thank you guys for the help!  I have learned a lot just from working on this one project and from all the help here.  I would like to summarize the rest of the steps I took to finish the drawing:

-from my corridor, I created a corridor surface (top)

-I had to edit my sample lines to include the corridor surface top therefore I went to the alignment's sample lines and included the corridor surface as an additional source

-I was then able to properly attach the EG and corridor surface (top) in compute materials (Earthworks)

-from there, I created the volume table with the cut and fill from earthworks

I will consider this thread completed unless anyone knows of a way I can edit the corridor so the cut and fill functions properly and doesn't end randomly in places.  Thanks again!

mProkz

Message 15 of 26
fcernst

Why do you continue to think your ditch ends just randomly at places?

Hint: It ends at certain places for a reason...Can you figure out why?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: fcernst

Not yet, I'm not busy this afternoon, so I'm going through tutorials and the corridor properties to try and hack out a solution.

mProkz

Message 17 of 26
fcernst

Great! Take a look at the screen capture in my post above... specifically try to understand the "Cut or Fill" testing methodology and procedure implemented by this subassembly to understand what "appears" now to you,  as you are just getting started, to be just some type of "random" execution.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 18 of 26
Anonymous

I definitely gave you guys the wrong sub-assembly I have been using.  I am actually using DaylightStandar sub-assembly not the BasicSideSlopeCutDitch, but looking at the two sub-assemblies they appear to function somewhat similarily.  Still working on it though.  And yes, I know it's not actually random (laughs), but it makes me feel better to think it's the programs fault and not my ignorance...until I figure it out! Smiley Wink

mProkz 

Message 19 of 26
fcernst

Oh..ok.

Please don't use Daylight Standard. It has been documented by Autodesk as Defective.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 20 of 26
Anonymous

I believe my issue stems from the EG surface as I have tried two sub-assemblies and they both "fail" or "do not interact in the manner I am hoping".  At the same stations, the corridor cuts out and backs in.  I'm going all the way back and I think I will recreate my EG from my survey data.

mProkz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report