Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

River and Valley Corridor Modelling

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1476 Views, 4 Replies

River and Valley Corridor Modelling

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to set up a generic assembly for applying to future river design projects, but am having issues with some of the finer details involved with surface generation. 

To describe my problem briefly, I am trying to make an assembly follow the centerline of the valley corridor, and meet targets for the channel bottom of banks and top of banks, the toe of valley slope, and finally grading the valley side slopes up to an existing surface. This is shown in LAYOUT.jpg. Once I have input all of the appropriate profiles for each of the features, I model the corridor using the Valley Centerline Alignment, with a profile representing the center of the valley, which ignores the channel itself as it crosses accross this centerline. 

The issue is that the channel 'breaks' as it crosses the valley centerline, as shown in SURFACE.JPG.

Is there a solution to fix this problem, or a more effective way to model this corridor?

Additionally, I am having another issue with making the channel and valley line up appropriately. With the method of corridor building that I am currently using, the valley is fluctuating as the channel meanders accross the valley centerline (This can be seen in SURFACE.JPG). This is due to the 2% slope from the top of bank to the toe of valley slope (required for water drainage). The question I have for some more experienced channel and valley designers in Civil 3D is, is there a more effective way to model a valley and channel corridor without sacrificing the consistency of the valley floor/bottom, and the depth/shape of the channel itself?

Thank you all very much for any help, as it feels like I have been spinning my tires for quite some time now.

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sboon
in reply to: Anonymous

This thread may be helpful.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

Thanks Steve! That thread has lots of great ideas to get me on the right track for this. Do you have any suggestions for the valley bottom cross fall situation with the undulating valley or channel? Chris
Message 4 of 5
fcernst
in reply to: Anonymous

..The issue is that the channel 'breaks' as it crosses the valley centerline, as shown in SURFACE.JPG...

This is a Confirmed Defect. Dave Simeone told us he is working on it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Confirmed-Defect-2015-Median/m-p/4991144/high...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: fcernst

Thanks Fred!

The heads up that this is a confirmed issue is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report