Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

151 REPLIES 151
Message 1 of 152
scott.sheppard
13132 Views, 151 Replies

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

There is a new technology preview on Autodesk Labs.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_river/

Project River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2012 software and AutoCAD® Map 3D® 2012 is a sophisticated river modeling software package supports HEC-RAS within the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 environment. This technology preview of River Analysis makes it easier than ever before to compute water surface profiles for modeling rivers, bridges, culverts, spillways, levees, floodplain and floodway delineations, stream diversions, channel improvements, and split flows.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
151 REPLIES 151
Message 101 of 152
tjsuchoski
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Scott: In part I understand the rational. However, that only works if money is no object and you can easily afford the extra channels. However, in the real world, firms may not have the resources to layout the extra funds to purchase the bells and whistles just to get one single add-on. Especially if the cost for the bells and whistles are significantly above the value of the one add-on that they need. For you, the one channel that you wanted must have been a must have regardless of the cost. In other cases, the cost of the add-on must be reasonable for what they are getting. In the case of Autodesk and the suite packages, for many small firms there is little need for many of the extras. In many cases if they are a detriment to their relationship to their clients. As an example, several of my clients have taken the position that they will not pay for fancy plan sets and presentations, due to what they believe will only raise the bar with the reviewing agencies and ultimately up the costs. I understand that the programs allow some of this to be done in the same timeframe and for the same or less cost than the standard drawings, but if you can't convince the client, who will pay the bill, then as a consultant, you don't do that or use that software. Under these circumstances, the benefit of having the software is very limited and not worth the extra money. -- Tom Suchoski Hydrologic Design Inc. 10969 Topview Rd South Jordan, Utah 84095 tjsuchoski@hydrologicdesign.com www.hydrologicdesign.com 801-576-9259 (o/f) 801-608-2414 (c)

Civil 3d 2011 or 2012
Quad Core Intel
Windows 7 x64
8GB RAM
Message 102 of 152
BureaumbFB

Hi, sorry if the question have already been answered, but is there any way to use this extension in meters instead of feet?

Message 103 of 152
jprizzo

> 1. Adding more an more functionality to products was making them larger and larger. They are plenty big already.

The products are getting too big, so the solution is to require customers to buy and install a bunch of other bloated software just to get new features that they are already paying for with their existing subscription contracts?  I don't follow the logic...

Message 104 of 152
scott.sheppard
in reply to: jprizzo

If you are using Microsoft Word and need to add two numbers, you need Microsoft Excel. Microsoft did not add spreadsheet capabilities to Word. Instead they sell Word and Excel together as Microsoft Office. You may only need addition today, but because you get Excel, tomorrow you may find yourself taking advantage of the rest of what Excel has to offer.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 105 of 152
jprizzo

That would make sense, if Civil 3D wasn't Autodesk's flagship civil engineering design application.  To use a more correct version of your analogy, it would be as if I only owned Excel, but Microsoft decided to include the "addding of two numbers" functionality only in some new application called "Numerical Modeler" which would be included in the newest version of Office.  Sure, I could buy Microsoft Office to save some money over buying the two applications separately, and sure, I could get all of the extra functionality that comes with Office, but that doesn't really help me with  my spreadsheets, does it? 

Placing that capability in some fancy new application and including it in a suite would send the wrong message to Excel customers.  All it would do is reinforce everything negative that those users had ever heard about Microsoft.

Message 106 of 152
Milos.Ra
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Hi.

I have the same problem.

When I start my calculation I recive the same massage as you.

Have you managed to fix the error?

Best Regards 

Message 107 of 152
pmascaro
in reply to: Milos.Ra

Looks like the speculations were on point…. It just went ®2014 IDSU….

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/infrastructure-design-suite/included-software

I just consolidated all of our licensing across north America 2 months ago, now to find out I need to upgrade some of our suites from IDSP to IDSU so I can still run the River Analyst Module that I’ve been beta testing for years now… Fun…I'm sure my IT Manger and CFO will love to hear that...

Would have been nice if the sales team at Autodesk eluded me to that fact that this change was definitly coming, rather than finding out 2 months after I've made a major upgrade…

Message 108 of 152
mathewkol
in reply to: pmascaro

I feel your pain, but resellers are usually not informed about these kinds of things and if they are, it's very close to the release date and even then, the plans cannot be discussed publicly.  Publicly traded compnay issues and all.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 109 of 152
pmascaro
in reply to: mathewkol

Good Point, however I was negotiating a large purchase and Autodesk was directly involved as was our reseller…. But you are correct, the whole publicly traded company aspect probably does limit them to what they can share… (but a hint would have been nice…) I’ll take it w/ a grain of salt…

Message 110 of 152
pmascaro

I'm just happy it's finally built into a suite and will be supported as such. The beta version had some serious issues both messing up other features and instability issues. I'm hopeful those are all ironed out in the 2014 version...

Message 111 of 152
mjung

The problem I see with it is $4,730 per seat is a quite the premium to pay if you don't need "Revit" or "Robot Structural Analysis" (ie most civil firms). A better fit for this would have been part of the "Premium" Package.

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 112 of 152
witzel
in reply to: mjung

That is the only reason we would need Ultimate.  Over 3 times what the original software cost, and they haven't really improved it at all.

Conan Witzel

Message 113 of 152
pmascaro

I agree. I already have Revit through another suite & Manage. I do not need anything in the Ultimate package but the River and Flood Analysis Module...

It should be included in premium and if it's not it should be available as a standalone plug-in. Maybe I should hold off until 2015 to see if things change...

(I've goten by this far w/ 2012... or are they going to cut the ties on that....

Message 114 of 152
O.Maille

River analysis for 2012 is time bombed so it will stop working, I think at the end of the month.

The River analysis tool is so cumbersome that the in built HEC-RAS tools are better I only use it to get section data (a VBA script from 2009 can achieve this)

With regard to it now being part of a Suite, there is no way I would upgrade just for this tool, it could be gone again next year; where's storm and sanitary analysis on the list??

try any link to pipeline design;

http://www.autodesk.com/industry/civil-infrastructure/water-wastewater-infrastructure

Message 115 of 152
scott.sheppard

Here's the plan:

• AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 users: These users should make sure they have SP1 and can continue to use the tech preview until June 30. After that they can upgrade to Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 – Ultimate.

• AutoCAD Civil 3D / IDS-Ultimate 2013 users:
    • AutoCAD Civil 3D users can upgrade to Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 – Ultimate now.
    • Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite 2013 – Ultimate users: Autodesk is targeting delivery of Autodesk River and Flood Module on Subscription center shortly as an incremental tool for all current Infrastructure Design Suite – Ultimate subscribers.
  • AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 users: New users can start with Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 – Ultimate

Of course things can change, but that's the plan as far as I know.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 116 of 152
pmascaro
in reply to: O.Maille

I too only use this to bring in the sections from Hec-Ras so I can build a surface from them and perform cut/fill analysis. The rears of the features to date have been useless to me....

VBA is not a viable solution, but if anyone knows of a VB.net script that will bring in cross sections and or alignments from HEC-RAS, that would be great!

If there is not a post for such a search already, we should create one and abandon this....

As for Sanitary and Storm Analysis, I'm hoping it's still in IDSS or at least in IDSP. Can anybody running 2014 confirm this?

Thanks,

Message 117 of 152
dana.probert

Storm and Sanitary Analysis is included with Map 3D and Civil 3D, so it isn't listed as a separate product. It's definitely included in 2014.

Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 118 of 152
erik

Add our firm to the customer segment who's situation was not appropriately addressed when it was decided to bundle River Analysis in a $6k upgrade.

I use civil 3d and I want to use River Analysis.  We don't want the rest of the bundle.  We are looking for River Analysis to be made available outside the Ultimate Suite.

How about an Infrastructure Suite for Hydraulics as an alternate to the standard Premium Suite?  Add River Analysis and remove the Rail, Geotechnical and Bridge Modules from the Premium, or remove Infraworks or Navisworks Simulate. Those of you at Autodesk can figure out what to bundle to make the value equivelant, but give us hydraulics people a suite that focuses on our needs.

Respectfully,

Erik 

Message 119 of 152
Yami72
in reply to: erik

Good words Erik! I could not agree more! Jami
Message 120 of 152
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Yami72

can anyone please confirm if I can download and use the River Analysis Extension with Civil 3D 2013? or do i need a 2012 install?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report