Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

151 REPLIES 151
Message 1 of 152
scott.sheppard
13145 Views, 151 Replies

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

There is a new technology preview on Autodesk Labs.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_river/

Project River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2012 software and AutoCAD® Map 3D® 2012 is a sophisticated river modeling software package supports HEC-RAS within the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 environment. This technology preview of River Analysis makes it easier than ever before to compute water surface profiles for modeling rivers, bridges, culverts, spillways, levees, floodplain and floodway delineations, stream diversions, channel improvements, and split flows.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
151 REPLIES 151
Message 2 of 152

bump!

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 152

Is the the BOSS RiverCADD software incorporated dirtectly to ACAD??

If so - GOD BLESS YOU MAN!!!

Message 4 of 152

River Analysis is a technology preview that runs on AutoCAD Map 3D and/or AutoCAD Civil 3D.  

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 5 of 152
DeeDer
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Hey.  Sorry to jack this, but your name has a little NNTP logo next to it here.  Does that mean you're browsing this DG with a newsreader?  If so, can you let me in on it?

Web still sux.

Message 6 of 152
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: DeeDer

I would assume it had to do with the source of my account during the transition, but I have no idea.  Web and RSS is it.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 7 of 152
DeeDer

hm.  well, back on track, I wish the river extension was made available for C3D 2011.  I'd like to check it out but I doubt it'd be worth updating to 2012 to do so.  We use steltman's rivertools.

Message 8 of 152
raquelde
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Hello

How can I draw the rivers/reachs? are they polylines, alignments...?

Thanks

Message 9 of 152
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: raquelde

On launch of River Analysis, the Reach object is created.  The abilitity to create, edit, and delete Reaches are on the Ribbon Panel.  

When creating the automated sections, the Streamcenterline is a polyline.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 10 of 152
gauss2069

I have been using Boss RiverCAD for floodplain analysis and design the past few years. I installed River analysis Extension immediately. It looks pretty good so far. The first thing I realized was that the previous drawing files I used with Boss RiverCAD are not recognized once you open with RAE. I had to import files from Hec-RAS.prj files and it ran as a champion! I am testing a few things one at a time. I am excited to give my input to make this program flawless! This will be a huge boost for Civil 3D towards H&H interface.
Civil 3D x64 2013
Win 7 x64
Intel Core i7-940XM
8 GB RAM
Quadro FX 5000M
Message 11 of 152
jmayo-EE

No mention of a time bomb for the extension...

Do you know how long we have access to the tech preview?

I could assume this will be available for the next year or so and in the next release but we all know what they say about assumptions. 😉

John Mayo, PE, CFM, CME
Message 12 of 152
LyleHardin
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Fromt the LABS site...

"The technology preview executable expires at the end of the technology preview based on a time-bomb date that has been set for December 31, 2011."

So. If we start using it, and find it useful, I guess the project better be done by the end of the year. Hopefully they will extend the use (as they have other lab tests) and it will also be available in C3D 2013. 

My question:  How does one run it? I've downloaded and installed, but I don't see any ribbon or menu selections for the River Analysis. Is it hidden somewhere, or did mine not install properly?

Lyle

Message 13 of 152
LyleHardin
in reply to: LyleHardin

Okay, typical of me to post too quickly....

I had to manually load it through APPLOAD and found River.arx in  C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Project River Analysis 2012.

After loading it and closing the APPLOAD dialog box, Civil 3D promptly locked up. Had to kill C3d.

Tried it again after firing C3D up. Loaded all three .arx files and C3D locked up again. I killed C3d again.

Fired up C3D again and found that a "River Analysis" workspace had been added and was the current workspace.

There is now a River tab in the Ribbon. We'll see how she flies now.

Lyle

Message 14 of 152
jmayo-EE

Thanks Lyle. I must of looked through the site too fast. I did not see the time bomb note.

John Mayo, PE, CFM, CME
Message 15 of 152
Matt.Anderson

Hardin -

There should be a Desktop icon created.  If not, where are you located?

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 16 of 152
MMorrison

Newbie question here...

After I create the cross-sections, and go to flows, do I really have to tell it every elevation and the CFS for each profile?  Is that a video or a basic getting started for this?

Martin

Message 17 of 152
LyleHardin

Oh, yes, I see it now. Duh!  It would've been nice if they told us that or included some kind of rudimentary 'readme' file. I had assumed (obviously) that it would just appear as a ribbon or menu addition.

Thanks, Matt.

I have imported a HECRAS project and it appeared to work pretty good. I'm not an end user of the HecRas stuff, so I don't really know what to do after this point. I do have a few users that are still struggling with the old River CAD program on Civil 3D 2010. It's frustrating for them and me, since I have to continue to support the older software while the rest of the office has moved on to 2011, and soon to 2012.  So, I'm testing it out for them. I doubt they'll want to (or should) use it due to the time bomb at the end of the year.

Lyle

Message 18 of 152
MMorrison
in reply to: MMorrison

Is anybody else having issues with random lockups?  When I start the normal C3D 2012 icon, it works great.  When I start the river analysis icon, items like zoom extents etc are prone to lockups.  

Martin

Message 19 of 152
solisl
in reply to: scott.sheppard

I am having multiple errors. First when I start the extension I receive an unknown error but the extension still runs, and then once I select run analysis I get another error, then nothing happens. Anyone with the same problem?

Message 20 of 152
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: solisl

Your best bet to get some support is to email labs.civil3d.river@autodesk.com and include the steps and information about your computer, O/S, the drawing, the HEC-RAS project that might help Autodesk reproduce the steps to duplicate and determine what might be effecting your drawing.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report