Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

151 REPLIES 151
Message 1 of 152
scott.sheppard
13146 Views, 151 Replies

River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D / AutoCAD Map 3D

There is a new technology preview on Autodesk Labs.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_river/

Project River Analysis Extension for AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2012 software and AutoCAD® Map 3D® 2012 is a sophisticated river modeling software package supports HEC-RAS within the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 environment. This technology preview of River Analysis makes it easier than ever before to compute water surface profiles for modeling rivers, bridges, culverts, spillways, levees, floodplain and floodway delineations, stream diversions, channel improvements, and split flows.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
151 REPLIES 151
Message 61 of 152
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Yes, River Analysis can read in the HEC-RAS project file and then can load the results for floodplain mapping.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 62 of 152

Thanks Mathew,

OK I think I have found that option now for writing out the floodplain lines. Ta.

Regards

Dean Petersen

Message 63 of 152
pmascaro
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Any News on a version for 2013?

Thanks,

Paul

Message 64 of 152
fcernst

Does this work with C3D 2012 SP2.1 ?

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 65 of 152
subsales
in reply to: fcernst

Fred;

Yes, River Analysis works with latest the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 service pack.

Did you encounter this error when opening a prior drawing or just on launch.

Message 66 of 152
fcernst
in reply to: subsales

On launch. Sent from my iPhone

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 67 of 152

Fred -

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling River Analysis, but it launches, and imports without issue on SP2.1.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 68 of 152
fcernst
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Matt,

I did that before my first message, and just reinstalled again this morning and still get the "unexpected error quitting" message. I am also getting this message when closing the program.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 69 of 152
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: fcernst

I assume you had it working prior to SP2.1?  The first download of extension expired in December, and the latest version extended that original date.  I assume you have the latest download.

For installation, check prior posts to verify that the files are copied correctly and your River Analysis icon has the necessary Administrative privileges.

As for the last error, its a bit difficult to tell what didn't close prior to AutoCAD Civil 3D closing. Its a benign error.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 70 of 152
fcernst

I just right-clicked on the imperial icon now and ran as administrator as you suggested and it launched without that error.

Yes I did have it running before.

Thanks for the help Matt.

Fred

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 71 of 152
ihnatolya

I am trying to generate a floodway map for 20 miles of stream data.  I modeled everything in RAS and imported it into the River Analysis program.  Then, I saved the file and hit "Compute Analysis".  It gets about 85% complete and won't go any farther.  The green bar is still on the screen and in the bottom left corner of the screen, it still says "working", but I left it over night last night and it still didn't finish computing.  It does say "Initial Data Check . . . Finished", but when I hit cancel, it says "Cannot generate HEC-RAS data file".  Is my file too big?  Am I forgetting a step?  I can't figure out what's going on with it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Message 72 of 152
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: ihnatolya

Without knowing what is in your HEC-RAS model, you might find it easier to import the HEC-RAS model and then import the results for mapping purposes only.

If the model sticks and does not complete the computation, it could be a number of possible items, including having an unsupported HEC-RAS item, to a permission issue.

Please forward a copy of your HEC-RAS model and the the River Analysis drawing for further analysis to labs.civil3d.river@autodesk.com

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 73 of 152
fcernst

One of the first things to check is Permissions.  Matt suggested this and it remedied a situation for me.

Right-Click on the program icon  >> Properties>>Security and check Permissions are set for you.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 74 of 152
tjsuchoski

Any update on whether the Package will be extended into 2013?  It is interesting software and would be helpful to finish working out the bugs.

Civil 3d 2011 or 2012
Quad Core Intel
Windows 7 x64
8GB RAM
Message 75 of 152
scott.sheppard

Unfortunately I have not heard anything.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 76 of 152
pmascaro

I work closely with our Hydraulic Modeling Group and I can say we are all looking forward to see how this plug-in progresses! As it stands, there are definitely some bugs in it. My Civil 3D 2012 did some really funny things after installing it but we are excited and eagerly awaiting to see where it goes...

Thanks for all of you hard work!!

-Paul

Message 77 of 152
mjung

We haven't had much opportunity to use this but definitely can see the need for it when we get another project that requires HEC-RAS.

I hope the development of this continues as well.

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 78 of 152
BengalRAM

We have a HEC-RAS Model which contained 5 different scenarios for bridge replacement. Various spans and lengths. Am I understanding correctly that I must divide this into five different drawings within RAE when importing? I'd like to toggle through the various scenarios within RAE similar to HEC-RAS. Thank you Ron
Message 79 of 152
LyleHardin

I do wish the extension would be made to work with 2013. Right now, I'm having to support one AutoCAD 2010 license for a user so she can continue to work with the old BOSS RiverCAD. The rest of the company is on 2013. She's finding she cannot copy-paste information from 2013 into 2010. She does like RiverCAD and I hope (for my sanity) that Autodesk will incorporate River Analysis into a future release or at least make the extension permanent.

Message 80 of 152
pmascaro

Civil 3D is not backwards compatible at all. I would imagine Map 3D is similar in nature. With Civil 3D you cannot copy and paste back one release even if it’s w/in the 3 year format without serious risk of corruption your drawing beyond repair. If you have to work in River Analysis then you have to keep those projects in ®2012. You can save a copy of them up to ® 2013 upon completion, but you cannot go back. (Although I do warn that I’ve converted VB Surface Models to .net Surface models and lost all of my break lines….

If you are on subscription you can run both ® 2013 and ® 2012 on her Machine with one license. Subscribers are allowed to run up to 3 releases back as long as they are on subscription. (Including Network Lic. as it’s built into the lic. file)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report