Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restarting Table Tag Numbers

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
jmbosh
8976 Views, 28 Replies

Restarting Table Tag Numbers

I've read a few posts on this but haven't seen an answer so figured I'd throw this out there again.

We use tags on lines labeled L1, L2 etc... for roads and pipelines (for legal/right of way purposes). We may have multiple lines to describe (differernt section/land owner) and need to start back at L1.

Is there a way to automatically start back at L1 rather than it starting at a higher number and having to reset the number one at a time? Get's quite tedious when you have multiple lines needing number with say lay 20-30 segments.

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Jay_B
in reply to: jmbosh

Have you tried changing the starting numbers in the Tag numbering dialog box? The help also explains how tags relate to sites etc.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-9D70AB29-FFA2-4892-98A9-9L3Z17D742CA
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 29
jmbosh
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks Jay, I have tried the starting numbers in the dialog box. I set everything back to 1 but it starts where it thinks it should start anyways. C3D always telling me what I want is getting annoying haha. I am just dimensioning polylines off to the side so I think sites are over kill for what I am trying to do so renumbering manually might be faster.
Message 4 of 29
BrianHailey

Do you already have tags in the drawing using those numbers? I don't think this command will automatically renumber the other tags and you can't have identical tag numbers in a drawing.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 29
Jay_B
in reply to: BrianHailey

If I'm understanding correctly you can have duplicate Tag numbers but belonging to different Sites within the same drawing though?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 29
jmbosh
in reply to: Jay_B

Brian,
Are you the guy that came to Rock Springs to teach us?

Anyways, these lines are for legal description right-of-ways with the bearing and distance for the centerline in each section of land. We usually have multiple right-of-ways that start at "L1". Just would be handy to start each line at "L1" automatically.

Jay,
Yes, we always use duplicate tag numbers, just in different tables.

Thanks,
Jarod

Message 7 of 29
BrianHailey

@jmbosh wrote:

Are you the guy that came to Rock Springs to teach us?

Yup. That would be me. It's nice to see students on the discussion groups.

@jmbosh wrote:

Anyways, these lines are for legal description right-of-ways with the bearing and distance for the centerline in each section of land. We usually have multiple right-of-ways that start at "L1". Just would be handy to start each line at "L1" automatically.

Jay,
Yes, we always use duplicate tag numbers, just in different tables.

Thanks,
Jarod

I just did a little testing. When creating the labels, C3D won't create duplicate tag IDs but, when you renumber, you can have it create duplicates.

And, as far as I know, sites have nothing to do with the labeling of the segments.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 8 of 29
fuzz2112

Solved

I don't put someone else's quote here and pawn it off as my own
Message 9 of 29
BrianHailey
in reply to: fuzz2112

• Select one tag
  • Run the Renumber Tags command
  • Pound the escape key (at least 3 or 4 hundred times, come on, this is CAD)
  • Ok, at least twice, once to end the command and once to deselect the original tag
  • Hit enter to repeat the last command and now you will be able to select multiple tags

One of my pet peeves of the ribbon interface. The easiest way to get to the command is to select something but I want to run the command without anything selected but the easiest way to get to the command is to select something but I want to run the command without anything selected but the easiest way to get to the command is to select something but I want to run the command without anything selected but the easiest way to get to the command is to select something but I want to run the command without anything selected but the ea...

This situation pops up several times (it seems more prevalent when working with pipe and pressure networks).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 29
JOKO_

You can set up a shortcut key with the macro ^C^C_EDITTABLETAGNUMBERING so at least you can get to the Table Tag Numbering dialog box faster than right clicking the drawing name in the settings tab of toolspace.

Message 11 of 29
BRNielsen

Thank you from 4 years in the future.  I'm still on 2014 and this saved me a few hours. 

Message 12 of 29
balenger.c

Thanks! this worked.  allowed me to access the command's settings and then reset the Tags from there. 

Message 13 of 29
balenger.c

Hi, 

I'm creating large preservation areas that have hundreds of line segments.  They currently have tags on them number in a hap-hazard way.  The legal team want us to clean it up.  

Is there an effective way to renumber all or a large selection of tags at once? if not then is a there a quick way to do this? other wise it would just be easier to delete and start over since that is less difficult that going through the process of the table tag settings each time.  

Message 14 of 29
jmbosh
in reply to: balenger.c

7 years later, I still haven't found a way to renumber multiple tags at once. I would say your best option would be to delete tags and start over. I'd love to hear if someone else had a better option also though.

Message 15 of 29
jmayo-EE

Yes a long standing issue. 

I typically create the parcels all with a line and curve number of 1000. After I finish the work of creating/closing etc, I look at the map and renumber once per parcel as I need. This at least saves the time of resolving numbers in use. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 29
rl_jackson

Personally I have never had a single issue with curve labels in the nearly 12+years I've been using it.

My workflow:

• Establish a Parcel, I usually start with a polyline as my starting point, run it around and make sure it closes. Then I explode the pline, and covert the lines to a parcel. While doing this conversion it will get assigned a Line, Curve and Area Label that does not come into the drawing in tag mode just a standard line or curve label. (Note I will very that the Parcel POB is where I want it to be and that it is all running in the correct direct, usually this is the case as I will draw it clockwise or force it clockwise before I explode the pline to segments)
  • Now I go to the ADD Table - Parcel Table and then run through the calls until I get to the end on the ones I wish to covert to tags vs. labels., again I'll do this in a clockwise fashion from the POB selecting each in the order I want it to appear (i.e. L1, L2 L3.... C1 C2 C3 etc....) for each table. In doing this in this fashion, my standard line and curve label will automatically get a Child Style added to the Curve/Label Style that is the stylename.Tag
  • No lets say I have to modify the geometry and add or remove segments. That's fine I just do the modification as needed, either adding or removing the parcel segments add standard labels to them and then add them to the table (of course if I removing they'll automatically be removed from the table).
  • Finally I go to the point where things start to go haywire in the numbering. determine my next number that I want there, i.e. this line is L30 and its after L15) I set the Line Labels count back to L16 is all locations, select L30, hit re-number in the ribbon and it says in the command line Do you want to create a duplicate, hit the right mouse click and its 16, I just move on to each one until I reach the end and I've renumbered them.....

Is there an easy button for this "heck no" but it looks better and its worth the effort in the end.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 29
JOKO_
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I really wish there was a command like "tcount" (which works to renumber mtext) for these tags.  The only thing I'd add to the good advice above is to make a keyboard shortcut for _EDITTABLETAGNUMBERING (Ctrl+E, or whatever makes sense) and for AeccEditTagNumbers (Ctrl+R, or something).  This speeds up the editing process. 

Message 18 of 29
mackland

Only way I've found reset the tag numbering is to determine which line labels have a tag associated with them and delete those and then re-label those lines. For some reason once a label has been set to a tag even if you change it back to a regular label it still holds a reference to that tag number. Once you delete that label the reference to that tag is now available to other labels.

Message 19 of 29
Gambit80
in reply to: mackland

@mackland....Sorry to dig up an old post, but how do you go about determining which labels have a tag associated with them?
Message 20 of 29
mackland
in reply to: Gambit80

I think if you cover these settings you will get the gist of it.
[cid:image001.png@01D9FACC.6A1AE480]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report