Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing an existing linetype

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
asloat
3428 Views, 7 Replies

Replacing an existing linetype

Hopefully a simple question.

We have an existing drawing with a linetype that uses a shape file as part of its definition. For whatever reason the shape file is not loading and the line appears as just dots.

If I open a brand new drawing and use design center to drag that linetype out of a drawing it works in, it works correctly. If I dot he same into the drawing it is appearing as dots in, it doesn't change anything.

I believe this is due to the fact that is is already defined in the drawing and brining it in from design center won't modify an existing linetype. Unfortunately despite purging the drawing and making sure no layer is using the linetype and all lines are set to by layer for linetype, I can;t get rid of it from the drawing to redefine it as a fresh entity.

In this case we are simply going to create a new blank drawing, define the line correctly and bring in the data from the old drawing, but in the future this might not work as well so I want to get soem feedback on how to do this differently.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: asloat

The only thing I can think of is that the linetype is used in a block or style. That would prevent it from being purged. What you're doing is exactly what I would have recommended. Let us know how it goes.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
asloat
in reply to: AllenJessup

I used selected everything in the drawing and filtered to blocks and exploded all of them to test that as well. I also detached all xrefs. Selected everything, no blocks left and changed all objects to linetype "by layer". No loayer is set to use that linetype, purged again, still won't purge it.
Message 4 of 8
AllenJessup

Still might be in a Style. Have you tried to list blocks to see if there are any still defined?

Command: -BLOCK
Enter block name or [?]: ?
Enter block(s) to list <*>:

Is it just one line you have set to that style. If so. Check if it's got at delta Z. That can mess up the display of the linetype.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
troma

If you load a linetype from file, is there a way to redefine an existing one in the drawing?
(Similar to inserting a block and redefining the block definition in the drawing.)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 8
Jay_B

@asloat wrote:

For whatever reason the shape file is not loading and the line appears as just dots.

Does the folder path containing the shape files it's looking for exist in options?

Options>Files Tab>Support FIle search Path> add the folder containing shapes here if available
If you'd like to try to find and remove the missing shape so the line can be purged, I've had success with this Fndshape.lsp.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 8
AllenJessup

Have you tried reloading it with the Linetype command?

ltl.PNG

I think that dragging from Design Center should behave the same way. But I can't say for sure.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
troma
in reply to: AllenJessup

With blocks in the Design Center, you can insert, insert and redefine, or Redefine only. Unfortunately linetypes don't have the same options; all I see is "Add Linetype" or copy. It's not clear to me that clicking "Add Linetype" will redefine it in the current drawing.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report