Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing points from the survey database

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
willpyle7693
3989 Views, 12 Replies

Removing points from the survey database

I would like to remove certain points from my survey database. I have all the points that i want to remove queried into a point group. Is there a quick way to delete these from the database?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
croberts97
in reply to: willpyle7693

I think this should work:

1. Open your survey point database for edit on the Survey Tab.
  2. Right-click Survey Point Groups and select New
  3. Click the select icon (small arrow with a dot) at the top of the dialog box
  4. At the command prompt, enter Group
  5. Pick the group you would like to create (and then delete)
  6. Once the group has been created, select the survey point group, right-click, go to points > edit points
  7. Select all points in the group and delete
  8. You can delete the empty survey point group if you like.

Craig

Message 3 of 13
doni49

Point groups only reflect the points within the dwg file.  You don't even have to have the Survey database open (or even have access to it at all) to be able to view/modify those points.

You need to find a way to modify the SURVEY DB Points.  I would think there would be a command line method to delete one point (or a group of points) from the Survey DB.  If I could find such a method, I could easily show you how to use your point group to export a list of points to delete.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 13
croberts97

Yeah, that could probably use some clarification:

When you create the SURVEY point group and you click the select icon, it will ask you which points to include.  At this time select the COGO (drawing) point group.  Now you'll have a survey point group that matches a cogo point group.  Then you can delete the points from the database.

Message 5 of 13
willpyle7693
in reply to: croberts97

I tried this exact method, however, the points would not delete. Its like the database is locked and no points can be deleted.

Message 6 of 13
doni49

@croberts97 wrote:

6. Once the group has been created, select the survey point group, right-click, go to points > edit points

Craig

Very nice.  I just tested this in 2012 and it works very well -- I've never seen/noticed that little selection icon up at the top of that dialog before.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 13
doni49

willpyle7693 wrote:

I tried this exact method, however, the points would not delete. Its like the database is locked and no points can be deleted.

I just tried it here and it DID work.  My guess is that your DB is opened READ-ONLY.  Try closing the DB and OPEN FOR EDIT.

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 13
willpyle7693
in reply to: doni49

What is RAD? How do i change this?

Message 9 of 13
doni49

@willpyle7693 wrote:

What is RAD? How do i change this?

When I posted my reply, the site cut off part of my post.  I'm going to go up and edit the post.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 13
doni49

@doni49 wrote:

@croberts97 wrote:

Craig

Very nice.  I just tested this in 2012 and it works very well -- I've never seen/noticed that little selection icon up at the top of that dialog before.

Here are a couple screen shots showing what Craig is talking about.

When you create the Survey Point Group, you'll see this dialog.

C3DDeletePtGroupFromSurveyDB.png

Then after you've selected the icon and the dialog closes, you'll see the following prompt at the command line.  Type in G.  And you will be prompted with a list of point groups.

C3DDeletePtGroupFromSurveyDBStep2.png

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 13
croberts97

Thanks for the added graphics.  That little icon eluded me for a while too!

Message 12 of 13
bcsurvey

This process worked for me, and it also worked for a wayward figure that I couldn't delete (create a figure group and include the figure(s) that you'd like to delete).  I guess for the sake of not accidentally deleting data, this very specific hard-to-stumble-across method is well designed into the Survey Toolspace.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 13 of 13
ugrin

That worked for me. Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report