Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference surface or alignment not found in reference drawing

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mermerCAD
3251 Views, 6 Replies

Reference surface or alignment not found in reference drawing

Hi-

I found several posts on the same subject but no solutions.  I keep getting error messages in Panorama that a "Reference surface "blah blah" is not found in the reference drawing" or the same message but for alignment rather than surface.  One post said to bring the surface or alignment in the drawing I'm opening.  That didn't help.  I tried removing the data shortcut and creating a new one.  That didn't work.  Any suggestions?  It's really slowing down the opening of my drawings.

Thanks so much!

Meredith

C3D 2014 up to date

Windows 7

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: mermerCAD

mermerCAD wrote:
I keep getting error messages in Panorama that a "Reference surface "blah blah" is not found in the reference drawing" or the same message but for alignment rather than surface.

I get this all the time in Plan Production sheets with Surfaces which are associated to a Pipe Network in it's source dwg.

• PN.dwg has EG or Main Street FG surface etc. associated to it.
  • PN is then Data referenced into Plan Production Sheet A.dwg.
  • If I don't Create a reference to the Surface associated to a particular Pipe Network in Plan Production Sheet A.dwg then I will get the "Reference surface "blah blah" is not found in the reference drawing"
  • Once the Surfaces are referenced into the Plan Production sheet and saved, then C3D no longer spins it's wheels searching for these reference surfaces, even though they don't appear to be necessary. Data seems unaffected in this scenario other than C3D uses resources searching for them. Plotting speed increases.

I realize you mentioned Alignments but with out knowing more re: your workflow etc. it's hard to follow where C3D might be looking for the Alignments your seeing in Panorama.

What these are these alignments are associated to on your project may provide the needed clue to correct the problem.

For example a PN can also have an Alignment Name: Reference in Pipe Network Properties of source dwg and unable to find it in production sheet.

Don't really recall seeing this message for Alignments here but see it a lot for missing surface references.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 7
doni49

Can you post your dwg files (the active one and the one that's being referenced)?

What version is this?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 7
jmayo-EE

You can also suppress this warning by over-riding the surface with <none> when you create the data shortcut.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
mermerCAD
in reply to: doni49

Can you post your dwg files (the active one and the one that's being referenced)? I etransmitted the file but it is too big to add as an attachment.  I posted it to a share site.  If anyone wants to look at it, send me your email address to mchamberlain@mragta.com and I'll send you the link to the share site.

What version is this?  C3D 2014 SP 1

I attached a screenshot of the error messages on Panorama.

Thanks so much!

Meredith

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Has anyone found a resolution to this yet?  I have a file with a surface and pipe network in it.  I have a sheet file with that other fie XREF'd in to it.  When I open my sheet file it says the surface is not found in the referenced drawing.  I even deleted the surface (which is a merged surface) and re-created it.  When I open my sheet file it states the same message but with the new surface name, so that didn't fix it either.  I'm at about 10 minutes per file to open.

Michael

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have the same problem.  Takes forever to open a drawing.  frequent crashes.  any solutions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report