Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference surface not found in reference drawing for structures

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ralstogj
2201 Views, 5 Replies

Reference surface not found in reference drawing for structures

Hi

Every time I open my stormwater network drawing all my structures have and event error that the reference surface is not found in the reference drawing. I have tried going into each surface and reselecting the surface but each time I come back to the drawing I get the same error again. Any ideas my this is?

2014-01-10_0916.png

Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mermerCAD
in reply to: ralstogj

I have the same problem!  It does it for Reference surface and reference alignments when I have a pipe network data referenced into a plan.  It really slows down opening the file.

It also leads to me to the question of whether or not pipe networks need reference alignments.  Take a storm drain network for example, we can have dozens of alignments in our pipe network.  What purpose are they really serving in relation to the pipe network themselves?  I understand we need them to create the profiles, but why to they have to be referenced to the pipe network.  I understand that the pipe network needs to reference a surface so it calculate and show the correct rim elevation and all the othe parameters set in the part builder, but what is the alignment doing?

Thanks so much!

Meredith

Civil3D 2014

Windows 7 64 bit

Message 3 of 6
doni49

Look at the "Data Shortcuts" item -- it shows that you don't have your working folder set properly.  If that's not set, it doesn't know where to find the shortcuts.  And the shortcuts tell acad where to find your ref'd surfaces.

BrokenReference.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

Has there been any resolution to this?  We are having same problem.  The surfaces are in the pipe network file as Data Shortcuts, and the structure elevations are correct being referenced to the surface.  The Data Shortcut folder is correct.  I have even removed and recreated the data shortcut for the surface, which is developed from a corridor.  Yet, when the file is opened, saved, synchronized, etc... the "Warning" appears for all the obejcts from the pipe networks.  This is affecting performance.

Message 5 of 6
cwr-pae

Pipe networks don't have to have an reference alignment. All you will lose is some labeling functionality in network labels, such as station and offsets, and even these can be overcome using reference text if you dion't mind targeting the alignment for each label.

Message 6 of 6
rene.garcia9KHY6
in reply to: cwr-pae

Know this is old... but I ran into this problem with a drawing, today, that a new employee with basic cad knowledge, created. He did a save as from a Civil3D Site drawing, as a template. His drawing had no real Civil3d content in it, just needed the site stuff that it had, (he created a traffic control drawing from it), but the xrefs being used had surfaces, and pipe networking, within them (or were supposed to have them).

I discovered that the survey xref path that was being used was going to a much older .dwg file. Visually the .dwg he (apparently) repathed to, looked correct,and had the correct insertion point, but it really was a much older .dwg that lacked the Civil3d stuff that the original pre- 'Save As' drawing needed.

Repathing the xref to the correct existing survey .dwg got rid of the missing surfaces warnings. Even though his drawing didn't need any of the surfaces or piping, nor even had them thawed... the 'save as' file he started from, wanted them.

The warning themselves were just an annoyance and wouldn't really hurt anything... but yeah... too annoying 4 me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report