Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference Text

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ksorsby
630 Views, 8 Replies

Reference Text

Afternoon,

I can create single alignment labels (fixed point, offset etc) that show a chainage and, by using reference text, a profile level for an associated profile.

However, using the main labels that are used for displaying chainages along an alignment (alignment chainage label group) I can also add in a reference text label for profiles here, alongside the chainage one, but there is no option to set which profile it references so it just displays '???'.

Any ideas? Getting the alignment labels to also display associated profile levels at every chainage point would be incredibly useful.

Cheers,

Kevin

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: ksorsby

Did you edit the labels to include the reference text after you have created the labels? I haven't' tried this specificaly but in label styles that use reference text it usually asks you to select the reference while the label is being created.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
ksorsby
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi Allen,

if you are doing single alignment labels, it asks you which profile you want when you start the command and it works fine.

With the alignment group labels, you add the labels in a different way (right click on alignment, edit alignment labels, add the new style there) because they are applied at specific chainage intervals. When I do it this way, as I want a profile level every 5m, say, I add a major or minor chainage style with the reference text in it, and the column on the right labelled 'profile' doesn't allow you to select an associated profile.

Therefore the reference text doesn't reference anything?

Message 4 of 9
AllenJessup

ksorsby wrote:

Therefore the reference text doesn't reference anything? 

That's a bummer. Can you open a SR with autodesk? Even if they don't have a method to do that at the moment. It may get it on the wish list for 2014 of 15.

Hopefully someone who has solved this already will respond.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

very interesting topic!

so far, I can't get it to ask me to define the "profile elevation" (in my case) when applying the

and I get the ? alongside the chainage.

but control-clicking at an individual label will give me the properties window where I can choose the "reference source", only for the selected label.

will keep working on it....

Message 6 of 9
ksorsby
in reply to: Anonymous

Good thinking!

This works as a workaround. You can control-click multiple labels on the same alignment and the properties window then shows a dialogue for reference profile/surface or whatever. This dialogue doesn't have a dropdown with the available profiles which sort of implies none are associated, but if you hit enter you get a full profile list. Select the correct one for the alignment and....bingo.

It's a bit fudgy but it does seem to work, so you'd have to select all the major labels and minor labels separately. There may be a way to window the labels when control-selecting?

Kevin

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

OK, so on that basis I isolated the whole label group, which left me clear of other objects

and holding down ctrl I crossed a window from left to right and there it is!

the properties window at your services 😉

(you may as well click the small cube next to the blank field and pick the object on screen)

Message 8 of 9
ksorsby
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, this works too!

I don't understand why the label groups don't work like this as it would be much more logical and quicker but at least this is a good workaround until Autodesk wake up and figure out how to make their packages consistent.

Cheers vk!

Kevin

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

cheers to you too,

it was an interesting topic, I said it before 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report