Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing XML file size output

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jborrelli29
3290 Views, 4 Replies

Reducing XML file size output

Hello,

I am having a problem when exporting surface data into an .xml format using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012. I am using LIDAR information to create a surface over an area of approximately 3 hectares in order to undertake future flood modelling. When I have created my surface in Civil 3D the overall file size is around 5MB, however when the surface exported to a .xml format the file is approximately 860MB. I have tried to create a new surface from contour information to decrease overall fle size but with no avail. Does anyone have any reccomendations to decrease the .xml file size without having excessive loss of accuracy for my modelling.

Lidar information that I am using to create surface can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9kpvfubpa1l3a3/g1m2605933lh.zip?m

Regards,

Joseph

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mathewkol
in reply to: jborrelli29

XML files are text-based and text-based files are always very much larger than normal compressed DWG files. Same if you were to save to DXF. Unless you make the surface smaller I can't think of how you would make an XML smaller except for one thing...in your settings tab, right click your DWG name and select LandXML options. Look for the surface export option and change some of the options. I'm not in front of a computer so I can't remember the options exactly but I think there is one that exports the minimum amount of data to build the surface.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 5
rl_jackson
in reply to: mathewkol

I believe Matt may be speaking of setting the surface export to point only instead of points and faces.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
mathewkol
in reply to: rl_jackson

Indeed, that is what I'm speaking of.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 5
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: jborrelli29

I'm not sure why you are trying to export the Lidar data as land xml in the first place.

Instead try creating a point cloud of the data then you can import the point cloud into any file and create a surface model in one hit.

The benefit of this is that during the surface creation from the point cloud you can select the density and also apply a boundary to the surface to clip it down to the data area you're working on.

Whilst using the Civil3D surface without the point cloud the working file set may only be 6mb but in the background civil3d will be writing the triangles and point data to another set of files in your temp directory, this was a new feature to enable working with large point files / data sets. When you export the data you are in effect writing the whole data to a landxml file so the file size is expected.

Whilst you could convert and export the points only you already have a points only file in the form of Lidar so I would definitely use point data in this instance.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report