Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent documents list

53 REPLIES 53
Message 1 of 54
neilyj666
12546 Views, 53 Replies

Recent documents list

My recent documents list (C3D 2011) is full of dst files - how can I reset it??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
53 REPLIES 53
Message 21 of 54
Sinc
in reply to: neilyj666

I still keep trying fixes for the non-functional Recent Docs list, and nothing seems to "stick", at least if you use the Sheet Set Manager.  I know it's being kept somewhere, and the "right trick" will  probably get rid of it, but it's been a rather frustrating search.

(Now watch...  Jeff will come back with the answer that eluded me..:) ) )

Sinc
Message 22 of 54
Jeff_M
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

(Now watch...  Jeff will come back with the answer that eluded me..:) ) )

I wish.... I thought I had the solution, once, and then that, too, was proven ineffective. My C3D2010 RDL shows 24 dst's and 1 dwg....and that 1 is all the way at the bottom. Really Friggin' Annoying.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 23 of 54
Jay_B
in reply to: Jeff_M

I share everyone's pain on this topic.

Not delete recent file history solution here but an option to start out with a clean history list.....

At our company we have user profiles stored on network & these Profiles were being imported on everyone's cpu & would immediately populate the  Application menu > Recent Documents list with 30 or more .dst files!

This was happening because the profile.arg had been exported from a windows user account containing a lengthy dst history list, (so we all loaded John Doe's recent list on our computers), unknowingly.

Because as previously stated in this thread the recent history is stored in the registry, it's hard to remove (without running risk of messing up your cpu registry).

The solution we used was to create a new windows user account on my computer & set up the profiles how I wanted them & then export the .arg files.

Then at least with a clean install / new system, importing our saved profiles won't initially contain any unwanted file history after importing our arg's from network.

Unfortunately. I don't believe it will remove the existing dst's listed in your current windows user account.

Although a bit off topic, something to think about, if your at all involved in sharing user profiles with others.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 24 of 54
Sinc
in reply to: Jay_B

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately. I don't believe it will remove the existing dst's listed in your current windows user account.

Exactly.  So even if you create a clean initial account, you'll soon end up with nothing but .DST files in your recent docs list.

I *think* there may be a way to fix this, since Autodesk hasn't fixed it in 5 years.  (The last time the Recent Docs list worked was in C3D 2008, IIRC.).  At least, I *think* things are being copied from a fille-on-disc back into the registry each time the SSM opens, which is why they keep coming back, even if they are deleted from the registry.  There might be a way to prevent that.  If I get it figured out, I'll add it to the Sincpac-C3D.  It might take a bit of time, though, since I have a bunch of other things on my plate...  OTOH, this is an issue that has been bugging me like crazy for years now, so I may focus on it just because of that...  Smiley Wink

Sinc
Message 25 of 54
GEORGESHM

Sinc,

I frustratingly just got it to work. However there are 3 steps. This was for Windows 7 & autocad 2010.

1) Open a drawing and Close Autocad - Don't open again until you complete both of the following steps.

2) Using an XML editor open the latest profile.aws located below. There may be several profile subfolders

in the Profiles folder. Search in C:Users\  and edit the one last modified.

(I used  a free ware XMLNOTEPAD 2007 program)

Ex: C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2010\R18.0\enu\Support\Profiles\YOURWORKINGPROFILENAME\profile.aws.

Search for mru_files (Most Recently Used)- Expand the subfolders will show the .dst file links.

Delete the ones you don't want and save.

3) Edit the regristy - Start/ Run/ Regedit.

Go to

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\ACAD-8001:409\Recent File List\]

There will be a key name called File with a corresponding Value showing the .dst file links.

Delete the same ones.

Open autocad and the ones deleted will be gone.

Maybe someone can automate this a little better. At least there is a fix.

georgeshm

Message 26 of 54
Sinc
in reply to: GEORGESHM

I've seen people recommend that solution for years now.  Haven't had much sucess with it myself.  There seems to be yet another another place where the Sheet Set Manager saves the recently-used DST files, and having the Sheet Set Manager docked and auto-hidden seems to cause it to re-insert all the recent DST files into the list again, EVEN when you try to do all those edits.

I find it hard to believe that Autodesk hasn't fixed this problem in 5 years.  It last worked in C3D 2008, but STILL doesn't work in C3D 2013.  Something like the "Recent Docs" list should be so basic that it shouldn't have ever been an issue.

They also have a NEW problem, in that the recent docs also don't work in the Windows Taskbar, at least if you adjust the STARTUP variable.  I think it's embarrassing to Autodesk that simple things like this don't work in AutoCAD.  These features work in EVERY other program I use.  Only Autodesk products fail, and this failure has gone on for YEARS now.

Sinc
Message 27 of 54
Matt.Anderson

Try this:

http://civil3dpedia.com/2010/02/17/recent-documents-sorting/

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 28 of 54
Jeff_M
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Sure would've been nice if that worked in C3D2012. Here's a screenshot of what mine looks like after making this change and running C3D for the first time today.

DST by date.png

Some of these I haven't had open in nearly a year. <sigh> Still looking for a solution.

EESignature
Message 29 of 54
Sinc
in reply to: AlmasSuljevic

These simple failures reflect very poorly on Autodesk.  Does ANYONE at Autodesk actually try to use thier own products?  (My guess is NO, otherwise things like this would not go through 5 years of releases with no fix.)

This might seem like a minor issue to the dev teams, but it is NOT a minor issue to users.

Sorry if that comment seems harsh to some, but as an actual end-user of Autodesk products, I think this is an important point for Autodesk to address (finally, after FIVE YEARS!!!!!).  ESPECIALLY since we are constantly force-fed incompatible releases every year, as the only possible solution to existing problems.

Sinc
Message 30 of 54
neilyj666

I suspect that they are more interested in the fancy all singing all dancing infrastructure products rather than getting the basics sorted out...!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 31 of 54

Just tested this with 2013 and works as long until you open the sheet set manager.

Make sure civil 3d is not running.

In registry editor, navigate to this key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.0\ACAD-B000:409\Recent File List

There are sets of four string values being "Class", "File", "FilePinned" and "FileTime" each ending with a number starting from 1. The number represents the position of the recent document on the recent files list.

Find the "File" entries that represent sheetsets, i.e. the ones that have data entries ending in .dst. Find the corresponding "Class", "FilePinned" and "FileTime". Delete the sheetset "File" entries as well as the corresponding "Class", "FilePinned" and "FileTime" entries.

After you are done deleting the entry sets, you need to rename the remaining sets so that they start from 1 and increment by 1 with out any break in the numbering. (a break in the numbering causes the recent file list to be cleared.)

Registry before -

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.0\ACAD-B000:409\Recent File List]
"Class1"="AcApImpRecentDocument"
"Class2"="AcApImpRecentDocument"
"Class3"="AcApImpRecentDocument"

"Class4"="AcApImpRecentDocument"
"Class5"="AcApImpRecentDocument"

"File1"="D:\\My Documents\\Cad\\Testing\\Profile test.dwg"

"File2"="D:\\My Documents\\Cad\\Testing\\SheetSet2.dst"

"File3"="D:\\My Documents\\Cad\\Testing\\2012 belmore Road Surface.dwg"

"File4"="D:\\My Documents\\Cad\\Testing\\SheetSet1.dst"
"File5"="D:\\My Documents\\Cad\\Garage.dwg"
"FilePinned1"=dword:00000000
"FilePinned2"=dword:00000000
"FilePinned3"=dword:00000000

"FilePinned4"=dword:00000000

"FilePinned5"=dword:00000000

"FileTime1"="1334449200"
"FileTime2"="1334449069"
"FileTime3"="1334449040"

"FileTime4"="1334449020"

"FileTime5"="1334449010"

Registry After Delete -

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.0\ACAD-B000:409\Recent File List]

"Class5"="AcApImpRecentDocument"

"File3"="D:\\My Documents\\Cad\\Testing\\2012 belmore Road Surface.dwg"

"File5"="D:\\My Documents\\Cad\\Garage.dwg"

"FilePinned5"=dword:00000000

"FileTime1"="1334449200"
"FileTime3"="1334449040"

"FileTime5"="1334449010"

Registry After Rename -

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"Class2"="AcApImpRecentDocument"
"File2"="D:\\My Documents\\Cad\\Testing\\2012 belmore Road Surface.dwg"
"File3"="D:\\My Documents\\Cad\\Garage.dwg"
"FilePinned2"=dword:00000000
"FileTime1"="1334449200"
"FileTime2"="1334449040"
"FileTime3"="1334449010"

Screen capture after starting civil 3d after editing registry is attached.

Perhaps someone with some spare time can write an app that will take care of this.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 32 of 54
Sinc
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

@andrewpuller3811 wrote:

Just tested this with 2013 and works as long until you open the sheet set manager.

Exactly.  I frist opened a support request with Autodesk YEARS ago about this issue, and it STILL hasn't been fixed.  No idea why.

Sinc
Message 33 of 54

I orginally did Andrew's fix for 2013. It wasn't enough for 2010 as the dst files would return.

Something must of been upgraded between 2010 and 2013 to allow this and or require the MRU fix.

We had 35 small dst files made up for individual customers and were no longer needed.

I did compile pieces of the fix from various forums but nothing was specific to my install.

Hence I wrote my fix mostly for ourselves and posted in case someone was in the same boat.

georgeshm

Message 34 of 54
troma
in reply to: GEORGESHM

Did someone suggest 'Pinning' drawings as a fix?  It would be nice if all the drawings I pinned stayed at the top, but no, they are somewhere down the list.

My attempt at a fix was to sort the list 'By Type'.  At least this seperates out the .dst's from the .dwg's.  But AutoCAD still insists on putting the .dst's  above the .dwg's, and though you can minimize the .dst section, it won't hold that way.  To make matters worse, in this view the .dwg's are placed in some random order I can't fathom, not by date and not by name, I'm not sure how it's sorting them.  So I don't recommend this option.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 35 of 54
Sinc
in reply to: troma

Yes, in my support request with Autodesk a couple years back, they suggested "pinning" as an option.  Unfortuately, this is a VERY flawed solution, as that's not what pinning should be used for.  That's easy to discover as you continue to work with more and more drawings, and find yourself micro-managing the "pins".

Sinc
Message 36 of 54
troma

BTW, I've given up on the 'recent' list.  Unfortunate, as it was a very fast way to open drawings I'd been working on.  Now, besides the clutter of dst on it, it takes a full two seconds to even open the list, what a joke!

My current labour-saving method is to add folders to the "Places list" in the 'Open' dialogue box, so I can quickly jump to about 10 different folders that I'm working in.  (I have the dialogue box expanded to full screen).

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 37 of 54
ghunt1981

I never experienced this problem until a month or so ago...apparently I hadn't done much with sheet sets until then, but I guess I opened a drawing that was part of a sheet set and it automatically opened the sheet set manager. Now it seems that it always does that if you open a drawing that is part of a sheet set and I don't know how you get the stupid sheet set manager from opening automatically.

What a pain in the ****-I've got one sheet set shown in my recent list that I'm pretty sure doesn't even exist anymore. You shouldn't have to go into your registry to fix something so simple. Ugh!

Message 38 of 54
Jeff_M
in reply to: ghunt1981

There's THIS tool to make removing unwanted DST's from the recent documents list.

EESignature
Message 39 of 54
neilyj666

Jeffs routine works well for me

EESignature

Message 40 of 54

Thanks Jeff...that program seems to work great!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report