Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-import event deletes control points from survey database

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
pgcole
860 Views, 17 Replies

Re-import event deletes control points from survey database

Running C3d 2012 here, but haven't used prior versions.  I'm using fieldbooks to import survey data.  If there is an error of some kind and I "Re-import event" for the fieldbook, then the occupied points from the field book are deleted out of the survey database and I get the resulting error of "point invalid" during the import.  My fix is to go into my control drawing and import the control points from the drawing into the survey database then run the "re-import" again.

Kind of a pain to go through, and potentially disastrous.  But maybe I'm missing something obvious?  Any ideas?

Thanks for any feedback.

patrick

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
IanMcClain
in reply to: pgcole

I just switched to 2012 from 2010 and discovered this. 2010 did not do behave this way. I'm really not happy about it, especially since your post was in January and nobody has posted anything. This is the kind of thing that makes people hate the survey database and not use it.

Ian McClain
Message 3 of 18
jrauch

Working with 2013 and seeing the same issue - any news?

-John J. Rauch, P.E.
Message 4 of 18
rrien07
in reply to: jrauch

Remember that the FBK file already containes the control point data, so it would need to delete the control point in the file along with the rest of the points if your deleting the FBK file from the database, its just part of the FBK file.

One option you can use it to upload the control separately and number the points off by a series, this way you can check the survey control vs. the office control.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 18
mikes
in reply to: rrien07

The control points are not contained in a fieldbook. The only information in it is sattion and back sight. The point information is in the survey database from the traverse.

Message 6 of 18
pgcole
in reply to: mikes

Actually the control points are in the fieldbook, in the sense that it needs the setup (op/bs) to create the new point data. When the fieldbook is imported it creates a point for the setup in the drawing, even though it already exists in the survey database. That is the flaw. When you delete an import event those occupied points that were created in the DRAWING are deleted from the survey database. A flaw that, in my opinion, Autodesk could remedy. The occupied point in the field book does not need to be created in the drawing. Side note: backsight points are not created in the drawing upon importing a fieldbook, and therefore are not deleted from the survey database when you delete an import event.
Message 7 of 18
IanMcClain

In C3D 2010 and earlier releases (and LDD/LDT) the OP/BS lines did not cause control to be deleted on re-import. I have tried to explain this to Autodesk on multiple occaisions and received extremly unsatisfying responses. The fact is, it used to work as it should and was broken either in 2011 or 2012.

To anyone reading this thread that has this problem, I strongly suggest you report it to Autodesk either through the product feedback or subscripton center. The only way this will get fixed is if enought attention is directed torwards it.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Ian McClain
Message 8 of 18
gk
Enthusiast

GarryK
Message 9 of 18
gk
Enthusiast
in reply to: gk

Sorry about the blank post......I just want to mention that I have sent a resquest on this topic through the subscription centre as well.

GarryK
Message 10 of 18
bixlert

Try this work-around for the problem. Create a separate Network for the control file and each fieldbook file. This should prevent the control points from being deleted.

Message 11 of 18
IanMcClain
in reply to: bixlert

I can confrim that the workaround bixlert posted is valid. I have been using this method for a few weeks now and has eliminated the headache of re-importing FBKs on larger jobs.

Ian McClain
Message 12 of 18
n2itive
in reply to: IanMcClain

Although I completely agree with the above suggestion (seperate the control points...), I will toss out another one.  Stop using FBK's files altogether. Personally, my life became much more pleasant after doing so 🙂

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 13 of 18
robert.rien
in reply to: n2itive

There are reason we would like to use the FBK files, this is why we would like to have Autodesk address this very important issue, along with a list of other issues.
I never thought about creating multiple Network control files for my FBK downloads, and I really do not like having to do this to keep the program from deleting my data, but its a fair work-a-round for now, I can deal with the large amount of control files. I can also see that limiting my use of the FBK files will also help, but its still nice to be able to use that FBK file when I need to.
My 2 cents of all.
Message 14 of 18
pgcole

We like to use the FBK files as well, mainly for fixing errors (bad rod heights, etc.) and for bringing in traverses.  Though the simplicity of bringing in a coordinate file is nice, for those of us that want to use the FBK import (and re-import) there's really no excuse for it not working the way it should.

I'm always curious how others bring in and manage their survey data.  Do most people use Civil 3d exclusively with coord file and FBK file imports?  Or another survey program for importing the points, traverse adjustments, etc?  I've never been a big fan of Autodesk's traverse routines, but I've made work for me well enough over the years.

Thanks bixlert for posting the re-import workaround using multiple networks, I'll start using that method.

Patrick

Message 15 of 18
_Hathaway

We used to use FBK files and still do on special occasions that warrant its use. 95% of the time we simply import ascii files. We find this much easier. If we ever need to change raw data such as HI or BS orientation we use the software from our equipment manufacturer and then re-export the correct ascii file and then reimport to Civil3d.
Message 16 of 18
robert.rien

While this is a common practice, it is not necessarily the best option in both time and money spent.
If you already own Civil 3D then why not just use Civil 3D? The simple answer is that its broke and it needs to be fixed.
Why should I have to pay for two software programs to do the same task when I should be able to use only one?

Let keep the pressure on Autodesk to fix our products so that we do not have to spend the money of someone else products.
Come on Autodesk, its time to spend some programing hours on us surveyors, Survey Quarries are nice, but we need to fix whats broke or give us a new way of working with our Survey Networks and Field files.
Just my 2 cents.
Message 17 of 18
_Hathaway
in reply to: robert.rien

I agree that it should be fixed as I really do like the FBK functionality on small single import projects.

All survey vendors have office software that accompanies their equipment. How do you create your FBK file? Is this a straight export from the data collector?
Message 18 of 18
robert.rien

Yes, it's a straight export from my collectors. I just flip to the file type.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report