Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Interrogating Profile & Adding intersections

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mrthra
1026 Views, 5 Replies

Re: Interrogating Profile & Adding intersections

CIVIL 3D 2015 TRIAL

I trust there is a simple answer to this frustrating issue. I have searched and searched for an answer to this but hoping asking it might provide an answer. I am trialling the software to see if my company can switch from our current package.

I have a two very simple alignments which intersect with each other to create a T junction. I have created a profile for each and added profile geometry.

Q1. I would like to display on the profiles where the alignments intersect each other so i can make sure the centreline design levels meet each other.

Q2. Can you interrogate the finished level on a profile to give you a level? For example, at chainage 100 i need to know what the finished level is! Please see attached picture (below), i need to know what the level is where the magenta line intersects. This seems very simple but infuriating as you cant snap to it!

Many thanks for your help and assistance in advance!

Capture.JPG

Using AutoCAD 2014 & Civil 3D 2015
AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mrthra
in reply to: mrthra

@mrthra wrote:

CIVIL 3D 2015 TRIAL

I trust there is a simple answer to this frustrating issue. I have searched and searched for an answer to this but hoping asking it might provide an answer. I am trialling the software to see if my company can switch from our current package.

I have a two very simple alignments which intersect with each other to create a T junction. I have created a profile for each and added profile geometry.

Q1. I would like to display on the profiles where the alignments intersect each other so i can make sure the centreline design levels meet each other.

Q2. Can you interrogate the finished level on a profile to give you a level? For example, at chainage 100 i need to know what the finished level is! Please see attached picture (below), i need to know what the level is where the magenta line intersects. This seems very simple but infuriating as you cant snap to it!

Many thanks for your help and assistance in advance!

Capture.JPG

"Q2. Can you interrogate the finished level on a profile to give you a level? For example, at chainage 100 i need to know what the finished level is! Please see attached picture (below), i need to know what the level is where the magenta line intersects. This seems very simple but infuriating as you cant snap to it!"

I believe I have answered question 2. Go to Profile -> Inquiry, or type RunInquiry. You can select a variety of different inquiries. I chose Profile Station and Elevation at Point. You can select the profile and pick on screen or type the station / chainage manually. Either way it provides the level information.

Capture2.JPG

Message 3 of 6
Joe-Bouza

When you use the intersection wizard it locks the secondary profile to the primary i.e. equal.

The inquiry tool will give elevations at a picked point, or the tool box>> report manager can do same

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
mrthra
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks Joe,

How is this 'lock' viewed on the profile? There doesnt appear to be a tool to show the intersection on the profile automatically?

regards

J

Message 5 of 6
sboon

Create an intersection using the wizard.  Make sure that the options for offset alignments and profiles are turned off.

Clipboard01.png

In this case I've made Road D the primary and Road C the secondary priority.  When the Road C profile is selected you can see the locked PVI which was created at the intersection.

Clipboard02.png

There's no way to automatically show the intersection on both profile views but I've created a label style in the attached drawing that can be used to show both alignment stations at any point on each profile view.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 6
mrthra
in reply to: sboon

Thank you Steve,

Using the method you demonstrated has meant that whenever I tweak the vertical profile on the primary road, the secondary road profile moves to suit!

Brilliant! Smiley Happy

regards

Jonathan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report