Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Import a .txt Event

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
torner
258 Views, 2 Replies

Re-Import a .txt Event

Here's my general set up using C3D2012. I have a txt file with 50,000 survey topo shots. I import the points using Insert>Points from File. I then apply a Description Key Set.

After that I create a survey database & settings and Import Survey Data to only display figures. After checking, edits are made to the txt file (adjusting elev's, codes, etc.) and the same edits made to the points in the dwg. To update the figures, I Re-import the Event. With the size of thie file, this takes about 30 minutes as it Deletes Figures and then add's them back in.

Is there a quicker way to do this\do others see slowness similar to this? I also have a Surface file created using breaklines from the .txt file, so it seems like I need to do this re-import again in that file. Just seems like a long time to wait.

C3D 2012 sp1 Windows7

Tom
C3D 2012 sp4\C3D 2014 sp2
W7Pro 64bit
HP Z400 Workstation
16 GB RAM
Intel Xeon CPU W3565@3.20GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
DaveM
in reply to: torner

I typically import my points directly into the database using a .csv, which is pretty much the same. During the import it gives you the options of weather or not you want the points, figurelines, or both. Then when I see an issue with a figure line, I update the database, not the .csv. Admitatly I still have to reprocess the linework, which takes a while, but I never really have to reimport the txt file mor than once. I also graphically correct the featurelines at times and update the database accordingly. I do have jobs that seem to take a while to process linework.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 3 of 3
torner
in reply to: DaveM

I have used the database for the points in the past, the client suggested using Import from File. It's the extreme amount of time it takes to Re-import...if it works. Last time I waited 35 minutes before I forced and exit. I then tried a Re-import again and my edit didn't work. I am now trying to Delete the Import Event (another 40 minutes) and then will start from scratch. I just don't understand why it takes so long!

C3D 2012 sp1

W7Pro 64bit

HP Z400 Workstation

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Tom
C3D 2012 sp4\C3D 2014 sp2
W7Pro 64bit
HP Z400 Workstation
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report