Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raster image moves around in model space

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
marke
3129 Views, 6 Replies

Raster image moves around in model space

Hi, I'm using Civil 3D 2012, and I FDO data connected to four raster image files. I assigned each image the appropriate coordinate system and added them to the drawing. The location of the images with respect to each other is correct. However, when I zoom/scroll in the drawing (model space, 2D wireframe), the images appear to move in relation to other drawing objects (ailgnments, points, lines, etc.). I've updated my graphics driver (NVIDIA Quatro 420), but still no luck. Attached are two screen images at different zoom levels showing how the images move. Appreciate any insight others have to offer. Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
wfberry
in reply to: marke

Just a guess.

Perhaps the new 2012 command "Level of Detail" is causing this.

On the ribbon:  VIEW tab -> Level of Detail (Turns it on and off.)  (Directly above the dropdown "Views")

Use the F1 while hovering over this command in the ribbon for INFO.

Bill

Message 3 of 7
tmullins

You're not alone.

I haven't tried it yet in 2012 but back in 2010 we noticed this using FDO and images, although I seem to recall the problem was going to paper space, they shifted quite a bit in the viewports.

Message 4 of 7
marke

Thanks for the response. This may be related to the video graphics driver. Seems like the NVIDIA device driver is not certified or even recognized by Autodesk. Autodesk is currently working on this request, and I will post the solution once we've determined what is causing this abnormality.

Message 5 of 7
thepworth

however, I wouldn't hold my breath as I've had this problem for 3 years+ now - only solution I've had marginal success with is mapiimporting the image (and drawing queries to transform between coordinate systems).  But its frustratingly slow when I have a colleague with other software that runs circles around C3D for image processing.  I'm talking about processing county wide SID's in seconds versus 5+ min for regen 😞

Message 6 of 7
blt
Advocate

When we insert aerial photos as overlays on section plats that are in state plane coordinates, we get a pop up box for insertion.  In that box there is two tabs... "Source" and "Insertion" and we have to change the units in the source tab (it's almost always set at meters) and change it to what the "Autocad Units" are shown as on the "Insertion" tab (sometimes it's foot and sometimes it's inches).  If those two match then it comes in correctly.  Not sure that is what is happening in your case, but you might check.

Bryan Thorp, PLS
Civil 3D 2017 SP1
Dell OptiPlex 990 Workstation
Intel I7
16 Gig of RAM
Message 7 of 7
tmullins
in reply to: blt

The problem in our case (and the OP from what I gather) is when using FDO in Map to connect ot the image. FDO is awesome. You're not actually inserting the image, but just connecting to it (that's my elementary description). Keeps the file size very small which is necessary when inserting county wide SID's.

However when it's time to plot and the image shifts on you it becomes useless. I don't recall having the issue with connecting to shape files, just images.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report