Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raster Image takes 20 minutes to load.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jmcpherson1982
396 Views, 8 Replies

Raster Image takes 20 minutes to load.

I have a 16GB Raster that we use for Design/Proposal purposes. Is there anything I could do to potentially improve load time or is this something I'll just have to live with?

Justin
Dell T1600 Workstation
Windows 7 x64
Intel Xeon E31280 @ 3.50 GHz
24 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Civil3D 2013
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
owenmull
in reply to: jmcpherson1982

Clip the raster?

16GB is a massive raster. Can you make it smaller?

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: owenmull

At best it would save 1GB maybe 2. The size is largely due to the resolution. I can create 20 scale drawings without pixelation. While clipping does work in those situations It stills leaves me the problem when I have to have the whole campus on a drawing.

Justin
Dell T1600 Workstation
Windows 7 x64
Intel Xeon E31280 @ 3.50 GHz
24 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Civil3D 2013
Message 4 of 9

Connect it using the Map functionality.  An FDO connection will greatly improve performance.

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 9
mathewkol
in reply to: jmcpherson1982

You really need to cut that size down. You should have a few different files at various resolutions for different scenarios. Having a file that large, as you've already figured out is unmanagable.

Even splitting it up into many tiles for different areas and then attach several of them as the design dictates.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 9
thepworth
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

FDO will sample the raster / SID for the area of your view/model space when it demand loads - so will be faster, but beware that I've seen issues that an FDO connection "floats" when you change to paperspace and pan around - sometimes they don't print "true" to their locations....  Watch carefully & use with care!!!

Message 7 of 9
thepworth
in reply to: mathewkol

For Example, check out LizardTech's "GeoViewer."  LizardTech holds the copyright (patent) on the SID compression technology and their free viewer has an ability to load SID images & you can zoom in & pan around to your sub-area then export out a .TIF & a .TFW (world file) for Mapiinserting or subsequent FDO to TIF.....  Nice if you want to look at a few parcels and have a SID of the whole county....

Message 8 of 9

Agreed.

Resample the image to a pixels per foot that is adequate for the scale of your drawing.

Also check it with the pixels per inch of your plotter.

It sounds like even at 20 scale you have a resolution in your raster that is unplottable.

Message 9 of 9
jamesmac1200
in reply to: thepworth

I'm definitely going to check that out. Thanks for the reference.

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50 GHz
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report