Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising pipe inverts

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jnjhuz
439 Views, 5 Replies

Raising pipe inverts

I'm drawing existing SD pipes and trying to put in rim and inverts of the existing structures. Sometimes it won't let me raise an invert to where it really is. It only let's me raise it so far. It may be a rule but it doesn't seem to be a rule I can change. What can I do?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgordon
in reply to: jnjhuz

when this happens to us it is a problem with the height of the cover that is part of the structure.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 6
jnjhuz
in reply to: dgordon

What can I do? I can 't change the ground.
Message 4 of 6
areese9779

The issue could be that whatever part you are using won't work in your situation, and you need to select a different part.  For example, a typical manhole with a cone section can only be used to a point, at which point you need to switch to a flat-top.  Perhaps the part you are using has a restriction that is affecting the invert?

Andy

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Dell Precision M4800, Windows 10 64-bit
Message 5 of 6
jnjhuz
in reply to: areese9779

OK. I'll try another part. Thanks.
Message 6 of 6
aneal

At first I found this an annoyance, but this is actually good to keep pople cognizant of what is going on.  We ended up creating three types of junction parts - those with riser cones (which work when pipe cover is >4') those with cones for an expansion to oversize pipes, those with a slab top (for minimum cover pipes) and those with a slab for the expansion (oversize pipes with little cover).  Think about it - you can't (shouldn't) be putting a pipe into the conical section, so when you use this kind of part, it will create limitations. 

Fact is, we usually have not had to consider this - we just spec the standard.  When working in a congested area, if you go through the steps above it can help you model what structure you need for each situation and verify you have clearance, but if all you need is a structure to spec, constraints are not that tight for the work you do, go for the less  intuitive slab cylindrical or square top structure instead of the cone, and you can get down to minimum cover just below the ground. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report