Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raise/lower surface does not update profiles?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gene.coronado
491 Views, 5 Replies

Raise/lower surface does not update profiles?

In my effort to even out a site, I used the raise/lower surface command in the edits for surfaces. I noticed that the proposed ground profile did not change with the surface as it was being raised. I was assuming that with the surface and profiles being dynamic, that the changes to the surface from the edit command would update the profiles. Did I do something wrong here or does this not happen? I solved the issue by moving the surface back to where it was and using the profile edit geometry command to raise all the PVIs which took some time to get ALL the alignment fixed. Would this go down in the wish list box?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: gene.coronado

Yes, wish list it. Layout profiles have no connection at all with a surface
profile. Anything you do to a surface profile will not affect your proposed
profile.

Proposed profiles, in fact, do not even change when you modify your
stationing. For example, say your alignment starts at station 100 and
you've designed a proposed profile. You then edit your alignment so that it
starts at sta 0+00. your proposed profile will still be starting at sta
0+100. Profiles are defined by station and elevation only.

Matt
Message 3 of 6
mwright

edits you make to your EG surface will update the EG Profile, edits to the FG profile can auto update a corridor and FG surface, but editing the FG surface wont force back the elevations differences to the FG profiles. You can create a "Profile from Surface" of the "Editted FG Surface" to take a look at the data in a profile view, but being that it is a sampled profile you wont have any editing capabilities on the profile.

Matt
Adams and Clark
Message 4 of 6
cootis

i had to lower a surface recently and i did it globally with the move command, granted it crashed on me several times no doubt. i picked only few features at a time, changed the color to something unique until all of it was lowered.
if you use the raise/lower edit command from the surface menu, how do you get it to tie out. none of the feature lines move, just the contours.
after i lower my surface using the slow method, my fg surface in profile view moved. i would have been made had that not been the case.
Message 5 of 6

My surface was a corridor surface, so using the raise/lower PVI on the profile geometry editor worked well. I only had to worry about editing some spots along about 300 L.F. where the subdivision entrance connected to the existing road. Maybe a LISP would have sped the process up to move all PVI's on all alignments, instead of having to go profile by profile and use the command. Am I assuming correctly, but when you create a profile for surface, none of the vertical curve data would be retained in the new profile view?

Gene
Message 6 of 6
mwright

correct.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report