Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rail Track Layout Utility - how add custom Rail type?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rutar
1241 Views, 3 Replies

Rail Track Layout Utility - how add custom Rail type?

Hello,

is it possible to define custom Rail Types in Rail Track Layout Utility for AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2013?

There is only combobox with predefined Rail types 49, 54, 60.

In Help I found: "The rail type defines the standard turnout types (e.g. 49, 54, 60 etc.)or other user defined types "

, also there is mentioned, that  "...pre-prepared turnout types that are written in the XML file ara_switch.xml"

I can't find that ara_switch.xml file. 

Any solutions?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SethHall
in reply to: rutar

I installed the utility as well, but I cannot find the ara_switch.xml noted in the HELP menu either. Hopefully someone on the forums has a suggestion while I take some time to look into this further.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 4
SethHall
in reply to: SethHall

I could not find the ara_switch.xml on my machine or any variation of it. It seems all the files for the utility are located here: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013\Civil

there is a text file located here called: MSG_TurnOut.txt 

Have you had a look at that?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 4 of 4
LyleHardin
in reply to: SethHall

Let's revive this discussion for 2015.

I, too, have installed the Rail Layout extension. (For IDSP 2015)

I'm not sure how useful it will actually be, but I like to give things a shot.

A few issues:

- Are the included turnouts U.S. standard?  It looks like the units are generic which is a good sign...

- I am also wondering how to customize the turnout catalog. I cannot find the .xml file the Help mentions. We mainly use No. 9 and No. 11 turnouts.

At this point, it doesn't look like it will be any more useful to me than just inserting turnout blocks I have already made, then drawing alignments from there. This extension adds the alignment, but beyond that it seems to put a lot of junk in the area of the turnout.  If it helps with corridor creation, then that would be cool. 

There's really not much information out there about this extension.

Lyle

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report